CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

My Club Championship Weekend

All I can is, what a difference a year makes.

Armed with much more confidence in my game I finished round 1 tied for second with very solid and respectable 75 (+4 in the windy conditons today). I'm no longer nervous or put pressure on myself to perform. I sit only 3 strokes back behind the leader who put together an incredible 72 (+1) today. Looking forward to seeing if I can come from behind tomorrow and take my first ever club championship.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Good on you my good man.
    Go forth and kiketh some arse tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    All I can is, what a difference a year makes.

Armed with much more confidence in my game I finished round 1 tied for second with very solid and respectable 75 (+4 in the windy conditons today). I'm no longer nervous or put pressure on myself to perform. I sit only 3 strokes back behind the leader who put together an incredible 72 (+1) today. Looking forward to seeing if I can come from behind tomorrow and take my first ever club championship.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Good playing big guy, especially in todays gusty wind! Just play within yourself tomorrow, we all know you can go low so just get your butt out there and play like you can buddy!
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Open course, big wind. Well done.

Good luck tomorrow! Bring it home buddy!
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Atta Boy Big Guy!
    I think in the Intersectionals you showed you can stay relaxed and perform under pressure against any competition. Congratulations on a great round today. Just have fun and enjoy your round tomorrow hole by hole

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Good shooting today Geoff.. I played in the Iroquois Open today.. wild wind.. good luck tomorrow..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Well I get to use the Loser's Motto: There's always next year.

Shot an absolutely pathetic 79 today to finish in third 5 strokes back. Yeah me!!!! And it was there for the taking, only 2 shots back with 4 holes to go and I bogey three of the final four. Sad, truly sad. I guess I'm not as ready as I thought I was.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Well I get to use the Loser's Motto: There's always next year.

Shot an absolutely pathetic 79 today to finish in third 5 strokes back. Yeah me!!!! And it was there for the taking, only 2 shots back with 4 holes to go and I bogey three of the final four. Sad, truly sad. I guess I'm not as ready as I thought I was.
    Those last 3 or 4 holes seem to have your number buddy. Sounds like you are going to have to conqur them.... do not let them get the better of you. 3rd place in the club A championship is not insgnificant my friend. Plenty of people in here would love to place in the top 10. I know anything but 1st is unacceptable in your mind because of your competitive nature, but believe me bud, 3rd is not an insignificant accomplishment
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    You suck!!!
    "Get your smile on!"

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Are you ready for " MANTARA " now ?

Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    Are you ready for " MANTARA " now ?

Definately, could've used it today. Yesterday it was putting that let me down, today I couldn't get off the tee if you put a gun to my head. The worst case of slicing I've had in probably two years.

Hey Geoff,

You should be proud of yuorself for coming in third. Look at the positive on this: Next year you can try to better your result from this year.

Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    Hey Geoff,

You should be proud of yuorself for coming in third. Look at the positive on this: Next year you can try to better your result from this year.

Yeah, but now I'm just going to stew on this for a year though. If I lost playing well it wouldn't be so bad, but just throwing it away like that doesn't sit well with me.

Understood. So use it as fuel to keep the fire burning until the next match. Hold a grudge if you will.

You got some serious game my friend. That, there is no doubt about.

Yeah, but now I'm just going to stew on this for a year though. If I lost playing well it wouldn't be so bad, but just throwing it away like that doesn't sit well with me.

Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    Understood. So use it as fuel to keep the fire burning until the next match. Hold a grudge if you will.

You got some serious game my friend. That, there is no doubt about.
    I just wish it would show up when I need it, and not make it look like I fold like a cheap tent.

As you can tell, I hate to lose.........and I mean HATE to lose.

Yes, it is obvious you don't like to lose. Just use it to fuel your fire, and not to set you on fire.

I just wish it would show up when I need it, and not make it look like I fold like a cheap tent.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Uh oh, third in the club championship....must be about time to quit golf again.

Seriously Geoff, you broke 70 a few days ago, and finished third in the club championship. You have nothing to complain about. The pros don't win every tournament they play. THey blow up worse than that on the final day of tournaments. Get realistic here.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

You didn't LOSE Geoff. Someone played better, simple as that.

You finished third, out of how many guys?

Nothing to complain about there IMO.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Uh oh, third in the club championship....must be about time to quit golf again.

Seriously Geoff, you broke 70 a few days ago, and finished third in the club championship. You have nothing to complain about. The pros don't win every tournament they play. THey blow up worse than that on the final day of tournaments. Get realistic here.

Nah, not going to quit golf. Just disappointed in myself. He definately deserved to win, but I just wish I could've gave him a challenge instead of just handing it over to him.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Having lost more club championships than I've won, I understand some of what you may be feeling. But whether you win or not, each is incidental to how YOU play and/or to how your club mates do. If someone else plays well and wins, good for him. If you play poorly and lose, then after the initial disappointment, it is time to analyze and not the time to remain emotional. It becomes a time to learn, partly about what swing characteristics need changing, if any, and/or if your on course thinking needs improvement.

Two years ago I played in the final group with Jimmy Jozwiak, a very good player, and a forum member "adaska" and won, parlty because I played well and partly because they had difficulty finishing. Yesterday, "adska" finished even par for the CC and won easily. In the interim he learned how to play under the self imposed pressure and was able to make all the shots necessary to win. This can only be done when emotion is put up on the shelf and replaced with, "Why did I make that bogey," and "What do I have to do to make a par/birdie?"

If emotion is a dominant part of your personality then learn to get excited about your good shots and non-plussed about the bad ones.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Having lost more club championships than I've won, I understand some of what you may be feeling. But whether you win or not, each is incidental to how YOU play and/or to how your club mates do. If someone else plays well and wins, good for him. If you play poorly and lose, then after the initial disappointment, it is time to analyze and not the time to remain emotional. It becomes a time to learn, partly about what swing characteristics need changing, if any, and/or if your on course thinking needs improvement.

Two years ago I played in the final group with Jimmy Jozwiak, a very good player, and a forum member "adaska" and won, parlty because I played well and partly because they had difficulty finishing. Yesterday, "adska" finished even par for the CC and won easily. In the interim he learned how to play under the self imposed pressure and was able to make all the shots necessary to win. This can only be done when emotion is put up on the shelf and replaced with, "Why did I make that bogey," and "What do I have to do to make a par/birdie?"

If emotion is a dominant part of your personality then learn to get excited about your good shots and non-plussed about the bad ones.

You're right BC. He did play well and I congratulated him on two solid days of golf. He deserved it for sure, but it would be nice to get beat when you play your best. I'm just bitter over my poor performance and needed to vent a little, that's all.

And as for pressure, to be honest, other than the opening tee shot I don't feel pressure anymore (except on the 18th at Intersectionals ). I was maybe just pressing too hard, and you know what happens in golf when you press.........

I have been fortunte enough to win our CC twice in the last 4 years (including this year ).. I finished second 3 times.. Through those experiences you learn how to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance LePage View Post
    I have been fortunte enough to win our CC twice in the last 4 years (including this year ).. I finished second 3 times.. Through those experiences you learn how to win.
    How do you "learn how to win?" Now granted if you're in the final group you can watch the eventual winner and "learn" from them. But if you are watching them, no wonder you don't win. But what if you are not in the final group and don't get to watch the eventual winner??? How do you "learn?"

This is more of a hypothetical question, but this statement has always bothered me. Either you have the skill and execution to win or you don't. Yesterday I didn't.

I have been in the final group for the last 6 years.. I have had the lead twice going into the final round and ended up loosing.. I learned to deal with the pressure and how to get it done.. Its def. a big learning experience.. For instance this year.. I had a 4 stroke lead going into the final round.. In the final round the guy closest to me birdie 6,7,8,9 all in a row (in my group).. We were all square on 10.. In years passed I may have played the back 9 differently.. Trying to regain my lead.. But this year I kept my cool and put a solid back 9 together of -1 to get the job done..

I have been in the final group for the last 6 years.. I have had the lead twice going into the final round and ended up loosing.. I learned to deal with the pressure and how to get it done.. Its def. a big learning experience.. For instance this year.. I had a 4 stroke lead going into the final round.. In the final round the guy closest to me birdie 6,7,8,9 all in a row (in my group).. We were all square on 10.. In years passed I may have played the back 9 differently.. Trying to regain my lead.. But this year I kept my cool and put a solid back 9 together of -1 to get the job done..

But like the second part of my question asked, what if you are not in that final group???? Then the previous experiences you mention don't do squat for you.

But like the second part of my question asked, what if you are not in that final group???? Then the previous experiences you mention don't do squat for you.
    Uhh.. ok.

Its like anything else.. The more you do it.. or the more times your put yourself in the situation you learn to do it and deal with it better.. To say that it wasn't a learning experience I don't understand that..

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Geoff, most of the pressure put on you is put there by yourself. For example, posting on Saturday about your great first round in the club championship only put more pressure on you to show your fellow OGers that you would not choke on Sunday.
    Lance is trying to give you great advice but you don't appear to be listening. Anyone who has every won anything lost many times before they got there.

Its like anything else.. The more you do it.. or the more times your put yourself in the situation you learn to do it and deal with it better.. To say that it wasn't a learning experience I don't understand that..
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    Geoff, most of the pressure put on you is put there by yourself. For example, posting on Saturday about your great first round in the club championship only put more pressure on you to show your fellow OGers that you would not choke on Sunday.
    Lance is trying to give you great advice but you don't appear to be listening. Anyone who has every won anything lost many times before they got there.

I know what you are saying. But like I said, I'm just disappointed in the way I finished and needed to vent. I was right there, didn't feel any pressure coming in for the closing holes, I just didn't get it done. Did I learn anything??? Sure, I learned I didn't get it done. Will it help me next time? I don't know. I don't think I'd play any shot any differently if I'm put in the same spot again. I truly believe you either have the skill to get it done or you don't. Simple as that, and for most of the day Sunday my skill level wasn't up to my usual levels. Not sure why, just didn't have it yesterday. I tried to grind it out but it wasn't enough. Just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I'm sure I'll be over it in a day or so, just sucks I have to wait 365 days to try and redeem myself. Which by the time that rolls around redemption won't really be on my mind.

Its just disappointing. I've worked really hard to overcome many issues with my game over the last two seasons and finally got my game to a level it has never been before yet I have nothing to show it. It just takes the wind out of your sails, all that hard work and I'm right back where I've started. Its always nice to have some accomplishments on your mantle to show for the hard work you've done.

I know what you are saying. But like I said, I'm just disappointed in the way I finished and needed to vent. I was right there, didn't feel any pressure coming in for the closing holes, I just didn't get it done. Did I learn anything??? Sure, I learned I didn't get it done. Will it help me next time? I don't know. I don't think I'd play any shot any differently if I'm put in the same spot again. I truly believe you either have the skill to get it done or you don't. Simple as that, and for most of the day Sunday my skill level wasn't up to my usual levels. Not sure why, just didn't have it yesterday. I tried to grind it out but it wasn't enough. Just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I'm sure I'll be over it in a day or so, just sucks I have to wait 365 days to try and redeem myself. Which by the time that rolls around redemption won't really be on my mind.

Its just disappointing. I've worked really hard to overcome many issues with my game over the last two seasons and finally got my game to a level it has never been before yet I have nothing to show it. It just takes the wind out of your sails, all that hard work and I'm right back where I've started. Its always nice to have some accomplishments on your mantle to show for the hard work you've done.

You may not think nerves played a role in this.. but I would argue it did.

Thread Information