CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar

Le Sorcier-Ottawa Sun Scamble

Hey guys so i am playing in the B division of the Ottawa Sun Scamble and Neither me or my playing partner have played Le Srocier and won't have a chance to get out there before Tuesday, So any advise you can give me on any of the holes would be appreciated.

If it matter we are playing from the Whites.

Thanks for any advise

Gropper

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I'm playing also.

It's can be a tough track the first time around, especially with a lot of elevation changes, some tight holes, downhill par 3's, etc. It's a beautiful course, that keeps getting better ever year. Be wary on the downhill par 3's, they can be tough to pick the right club. A number of the other holes have elevated greens, so club selection is key most of the time.

There is no range there either, just a putting green. It's a also interesting in that par is 34-37, with 1 par 5 on the front with 3 par 3's and 3 par 5's on the back. I haven't played it this year, but the greens are usually slower than average - though again, they might be better this year. Also, you play 7 holes on one side of the road, then go back past the clubhouse to play #8. Hopefully this

There is a course tour on their site, but it doesn't have any commentary.

#1 - straight ahead par 4 - a bit more room to the right than appears of the tee. Grip it and rip it. take an extra club for the approach to an elevated green.
    #2 - downhill par 3. take one less club
    #3 - par 5 - carefull off the tee, esp left. easy to reach both bunkers and the creek on the left. elevated green.
    #4 shortish par 4 - keep it in play.
    #5 short par 4 - again keep it in play. elevated green
    #6 sharp dogleg par 4 - keep it in play. fairway runs out about 200 yds. elevated green (get the msg ;-).
    #7 long downhill par 3 - dont be long
    #8 keep left of the rocks on the right, which is dead. water long left, that you can't see off the tee. elevated green.
    #9 fun par 3 downhill - long is dead
    #10 kinda of a strange dogleg, though they moved the tee further left from the pic so its a better hole now. uphill approach big time. when you are on 8, have a look where the flag is on 10. it will come in handy
    #11 par 5, water is no problem to clear, keep it in play. good chance at birdie if you hit a good drive though. elevated green
    #12 straightforward par 3 - the easiest on the course perhaps.
    #13 good par 5 - a bit of a blind 2nd shot - use the dead tree in the fairway as a guide
    #14 short par 4 - elevated green
    #15 great par 5, avoid right off the tee follow the contour of the hole (maybe my favourite hole on the course).
    #16 short par 4 - good shot at birdie here.
    #17 longish par 3 - play over a marsh area. lots of room short though. par is good here.
    #18 good finishing hole keep it away from the right trees. elevated green that requires an extra club, maybe 2 of the hole is back left.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

wow awsome reply Jeff. Thanks looking forward to it always wanted to get out there just didn;t work out. Should be a good time!

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Thanks for the great post Jeff, I'm playing as well and I'm not really familiar with the course. Should be a fun day, let's hope we all play well.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

no problem. you both owe me 2 strokes ;-).

The course feels a bit cottagey when you are in the parking lot, but don't be fooled - this is one nice track!

yes, should be a fun day. They should have the tee times posted soon.

One other word of advice, give yourself a bit of extra time to get there. it's a ways from town and while straightforward to get to, I have know a few people to get lost on the way there.

times are posted. looks like we are the last group off. Greens should be good and bumpy by then.

http://www.ottawasunscramble.com/openb-draw.pdf

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Be sure to stop by and say hi. I'll be at the 7th hole I believe. Decided to give Bulldog a hand.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Be sure to stop by and say hi. I'll be at the 7th hole I believe. Decided to give Bulldog a hand.
    will do Geoff. Make sure you get that yardage paced off before I get there

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    Thanks for the great post Jeff, I'm playing as well and I'm not really familiar with the course. Should be a fun day, let's hope we all play well.
    shivas, what time are you guys off?

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    will do Geoff. Make sure you get that yardage paced off before I get there
    Unfortunately you guys will be teeing off long after I'm gone. I have to work a night shift Tues night, so I can only help Mike from 8 to around 1:30-2ish or so. But good luck guys.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    You're setting Jeff up for disappointment, Geoff! If he tees off in the last group you'll be gone by the time he hits the 7th hole... unless you want to double the duty, work the next shift and stay until 6:30!

BullDog

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    OOOPS - should have read to the bottom of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
    You're setting Jeff up for disappointment, Geoff! If he tees off in the last group you'll be gone by the time he hits the 7th hole... unless you want to double the duty, work the next shift and stay until 6:30!

BullDog

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    shivas, what time are you guys off?
    we're off at 8:30, if we post agood score we'll probably stick around until everyone is finished. thanks again for the tips, looks like the weather is going to cooperate as well
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Well I am off late as well looks like 1:10 in the 33rd group, should hav a good idea of what kinda score we need to post by then!

Good luck guys

it is going to be downright nipply at 7am for those first few groups!

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    I have ressurected this thread as I am signed up to play the open B scramble this year.
    Can anyone who has played Le Sorcier add anything to Jeffc's excellent comments? ie. how many clubs less you need on par 3s and etc.???

unfortunately, I haven't played it since last years event, though I imagine it must be in fantastic shape with all the rain. This course keeps getting better every year I play it. I am really looking forward to playing this event again this year. Reza, we'll have to hook up for a beer post round if our tee times are close.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    I have ressurected this thread as I am signed up to play the open B scramble this year.
    Can anyone who has played Le Sorcier add anything to Jeffc's excellent comments? ie. how many clubs less you need on par 3s and etc.???
    I would suggest that on most of the par 3's you should consider taking 2 less clubs instead of just one. Not just because of the elevation change, but you are dead if you go long but it is a fairly simple up-and-down if you're short. The only exception is #17, which has plenty of room behind the green.

The only other note I would add to jeff's excellent comments is to pay special attention to where the flag is located on #18 when you're making your club selection. It is a large, kidney-shaped green - if you take that extra club when the flag is on the front part of the green you may be faced with the "do-I-chip-off-the-green?" dilemma.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    You bet Jeff. That would be great.
    unfortunately, I haven't played it since last years event, though I imagine it must be in fantastic shape with all the rain. This course keeps getting better every year I play it. I am really looking forward to playing this event again this year. Reza, we'll have to hook up for a beer post round if our tee times are close.

Thread Information