CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

Talking Looks like Phil gets the last laugh

I tried to find the thread on this but couldnt.
    I guess Phil is the one thats gets the last laugh now that Tiger has gone back to playing his old Titleist driver for more accuracy. I beleive he did say Tiger was off his game because of inferior equipment (Nike).

Yes he is still using Nike irons. But Titleist wedges and putter (I beleive)

alice
    His 3 wood, his wedges and his putter are all Titleist. It said in the Ottawa Citizen that he would likely keep with the titleist driver for the rest of the year. Nike says that they now need to get on their horse and have a new driver designed for Tiger asap.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Fairway Junkie dasnutz is on a distinguished road dasnutz's Avatar
    Steve,

You are correct. Tiger's bag includes:

Driver - Titleist 975D (from 2000) with Dynamic Golf Shaft
    3 Wood - Titleist 970 15*
    Irons (2-PW)- Nike Forged Blade
    Wedges - Titleist Vokey 58* (bent back to 56*), Titleist Vokey 60*
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport by Titleist
    Ball - Nike One

Das

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

Talking Sticks & Stones

All true...

Except for the fact that Tiger has managed to rack up 8 majors (to Phil's 0) while messing around with his "inferior equipment".

I believe that Tiger genuinely has some equipment issues, but I think that most of it is just good old-fashioned head games on Phil's part.

Much as I hate to say it, Phil had better have his "A-game" when the PGA rolls around because Tiger is due to open up another can of "major" whupass.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Curious George
    I still like seeing Phil get some confidence where he can, though.

Andru
    The 9675D is not an "Easy" club to hit. He plays blades it's all about feel. Titleist doesn't even make the club anymore.

If Tiger had gone to a 983K. Phil may have something. I think Tiger has rejected ALL technology in general. GEEZ the 975D is below the Allowable COR levels set by the USGA. The club head is 260CC's. He's using a 43 inch steel shaft. Go figure.

I agree from the outside it looks bad on Nike but if you really look at it. It looks bad on everyone. Maybe the best driver titleist has ever made was the 975d. The 983K is a waste of money! Is anyone selling a 975D?
    Last edited by Andru; 07-30-2003 at 09:01 AM.

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road

Question What's the problem with Nike drivers???

David Duval is not the perfect example (he is struggling for other reasons) but he was one of the first player to advertise Nike products and now, look what he's playing...... This picture was taken at the last British Open...

Oups......

Andru
    And here's his results from the Open Championship using that Titleist driver.

83 78 for +19 MC

David Duval was spotted playing the cobra driver as well. His problems are in his head and he's experimenting with anything.

Michael Campbell seems to be doing OK with the Nike Driver.
    Last edited by Andru; 07-30-2003 at 09:12 AM.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

Thumbs up 975D

I have used a lot of drivers in my life and I can tell you that, by a wide margin, my 975D is the best driver I've ever had.

The trajectory is nice and tight (its almost impossible to balloon it) and when I miss, I don't miss big like some other drivers. I've changed shafts a couple of times, but that's more for me not the head.

Until something I like better comes along (3 years and going strong), she's not going anywhere.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Thread Information