CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Four Putts

Playing Winter Rules RBAKER is on a distinguished road RBAKER's Avatar

Four Putts

Okay, I've heard of three putting but every now and then I will get a four putt.

Any advice on this. Its usually when I have a super long one to begin with.

RB
    Membership- GlenCairn Golf Club

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    For some reason the laptop here at work won't let me copy and paste, but check out the "Figuring the break of a putt....(or titled something like that)" thread here in the instruction forum. Some good tips on putting that should help you.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    As Fuzzy Zoeller once replied, when asked, how did you four putt? I missed it. I missed it. I missed it. I made it.

Usually a 4 putt is the result of being in an extremely difficult putting position, or have a complete brain meltdown. The goal on the first putt is to get it close (if its a long putt) to say within a 3 ft radius. After that just try to make it but don't knock it 3 feet by. The goal is lagging the first one close enough.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Yes, I bet trying to get that 40 FT Birdie didn't help!!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    As Fuzzy Zoeller once replied, when asked, how did you four putt? I missed it. I missed it. I missed it. I made it.

Usually a 4 putt is the result of being in an extremely difficult putting position, or have a complete brain meltdown. The goal on the first putt is to get it close (if its a long putt) to say within a 3 ft radius. After that just try to make it but don't knock it 3 feet by. The goal is lagging the first one close enough.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Look at it this way, at least a four-putt is better than a five-putt.

Just ask Phil Mickelson about his five-putt at the 2002 Players.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    When facing a long putt its important to properly lag the first putt to the hople and get it within 5-8ft. if that can be done you should never 4 putt. Take your time and read the green from all angles.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    It happens, I have 4 putted after lipping out the first putt (quite a severe lip out that then caught a slope) and ended up 10 feet past, I then burned the edge of the cup with putt 2 but it went 5ft past, left putt 3 on the lip and tapped in the 4th. I put it down to being too aggressive with the first 2 putts and a bit of bad luck.

oh Boy, does this sound familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill View Post
    It happens, I have 4 putted after lipping out the first putt (quite a severe lip out that then caught a slope) and ended up 10 feet past, I then burned the edge of the cup with putt 2 but it went 5ft past, left putt 3 on the lip and tapped in the 4th. I put it down to being too aggressive with the first 2 putts and a bit of bad luck.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Recommend practice. When I multi-putt is is usually out of fear of being short/long on the first putt. This usually happens on a new course. Go to the local range with a large putting surface, or your club and practice lagging puts inside 6 feet. Do up hill, side hill, down hill. Won't come all at once but you should incorporate into your weekly putting drills.

Thanks for the advice, it is well taken.

RB

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Recommend practice. When I multi-putt is is usually out of fear of being short/long on the first putt. This usually happens on a new course. Go to the local range with a large putting surface, or your club and practice lagging puts inside 6 feet. Do up hill, side hill, down hill. Won't come all at once but you should incorporate into your weekly putting drills.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Never had a thought of a four putt this year, until reading this post. Had my first today. 90', left it short; 15' lip out, 4' past; gagged coming back, leaving me a 1' for double bogey. Only hole that I was on fairway off tee and GIR.
    Back to the Range...

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by RBAKER View Post
    Okay, I've heard of three putting but every now and then I will get a four putt.
    So? Crap happens. In the last group, last round of an invitational at Whiteface, in Lake Placid, I once 8 putted the first green. Birdied the next. Just forget about it. We all do it. Some admit it.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    ok. I'll bite. how does someone 8 putt a green?
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Wow, 5 is my record.....but 8. At least you are man enough to admit it, take your lumps and move on. I know someone who if they miss the second putt, they kind of lazily reach across the hole and half assedly thwack at the ball in the general direction of the hole, miss and sigh "damn 3 putts". What! Not man enough to line up putt 3 and put yourself on the line with a possible 4 putt? A real golfer continues until the ball is in the cup (matchplay gimmes aside).

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    So? Crap happens. In the last group, last round of an invitational at Whiteface, in Lake Placid, I once 8 putted the first green. Birdied the next. Just forget about it. We all do it. Some admit it.
    .......I don't even begin to have a good enough imagination to think how you could do that unless it was one of those times that the greens keeper had a fight with his wife the night before and decided to torture everybody by putting the hole in the middle of a plateaued green on the downslope

Thread Information