CorporateGolfXtra 2024

View Poll Results: What age did you take up golf?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • <10

25 12.82%
  • 10 - 20

74 37.95%
  • 20 - 40

76 38.97%
  • > 40

20 10.26%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    Dad took me out when I was about 12 or 13 to a driving range then started playing a little 9 hole par 3 course. Addiction hit when I was 15 and working at a golf course during the summers.
    Took a couple summers off during university because I didn't get a golf course job here in Ottawa and couldn't afford to play but have been back to playing 50+ rounds a year for the past 3 seasons. Finally beat my teenage best round of 75 a couple weeks ago and don't see myself playing much less any time soon.

I'm 23 years old and I'm a golf-oholic . . .
    Even I've never heard of me

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I wish I would have started as a young boy but I had other interrests back then. i thought playing in a rock and roll band would make me rich and famous.LOL.My wife and I really started playing when we were 44 years old.We had given up on fishing and thought that this would be easier to master. Big mistake !!!
    We enjoy our time together on the course and plan to keep playing for at least another 37 years. If I dont get it by then,I'm quitting !! LOL

3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar
    Started playing when I was 26 (eleven years ago). My handicap has been as low as 9, but usually hovers between 12 and 14. Every single golfer I know, who started playing before the age of ten, is a single digit player. I hate them all hahaha!!!

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    That advantages of starting that young are huge, I wish I even just started in my mid-late teens. Even though I got what I feel is a late start, I'm still going to make the most of it, and make sure my future son starts early too (as long as he enjoys it).

3 Wood lastplace is on a distinguished road
    Started when I was 26 years old. Bought my first home and found a set of clubs in the garage. Played my first round and shot 127. I was using powerbilt blades and felt every shot right up my arm......Yikes

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I started 7 years ago after a heart attack Doctor said to get more exercise so I took up golf He didn't say anything about the stress factor I'm 65 this weekend and shooting a solid 90 -and just think the government will be giving me more money to play

BTW guys I helped build the Dunnderosa in 1962 and 1963-----but was more interested in girls back then !!!!!!!!!!
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I started to golf in my early teens but i didn't start playing again regularly until my thirties.
    I was a juvenile member at a club back in N.Ireland, but back then it was still a rich mans sport (of which my family was not), with no public courses to speak of. So unfortunatley the experience was far from what it has become today. None of my friends played golf and the spoilt little rich kids wanted nothing to do with my type. Needless to say i never got really involved in the sport ,until a few years ago. I'm however, loving the game right now.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

3 Iron Strangebrew is on a distinguished road Strangebrew's Avatar
    Bought a cheap set of Dunlops for my 40th birthday (4 years ago). Was completely hooked by the 2nd hole. Replaced the Dunlops within a couple of months and so began the madness.

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    started when I was 30 lived in Wpg at the time ( now 50 ). I wish I had started younger , but back in the 70's golf was not 'cool' at least not in my circle. My son picked up the game when he was ~ 3 , started with plastic clubs whacking a wiffle ball , then had a 3w,7i, 9i made , by the time he was 10 he was shooting in the 80's and got down to an 8hdcp by age 15. Now he has less time to play but still kicks my ass when we get out.

After all these years I think I have finally convince myself to take lessons !

Ace Travis is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    I wish I would have started as a young boy but I had other interrests back then. i thought playing in a rock and roll band would make me rich and famous.LOL.My wife and I really started playing when we were 44 years old.We had given up on fishing and thought that this would be easier to master. Big mistake !!!
    We enjoy our time together on the course and plan to keep playing for at least another 37 years. If I dont get it by then,I'm quitting !! LOL
    I envy you sir...a youth spent being a Rock and Roller...a wife that loves fishing...and now a wife that loves golf...you've found yourself a keeper there Marcos.

Putter NedPGM is on a distinguished road NedPGM's Avatar
    Started in Perth at the age of 9 and its been a nice 11 year stretch since then... broke 100 for the first time at age 10, followed by breaking 80 at age 12. Its been two years since i've scored a round over 90 and I'm at the course everyday, no matter what

Putter ElBo1 is on a distinguished road
    Started playing when I was twelve. Took my only round of lessons at that age and it couldn't of been a better time. Learned the fundamentals and have been building on the ever since!
    "The best way to build confidence... is to succeed"

7 Iron lovemygolf is on a distinguished road
    I picked up the game when I was 38. I had a very bad knee that needed an operation from playing quite competitive soccer. I was sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring to tell me when I was booked for my operation, feeling very sorry for my self as I could not play any sport, ie tennis or soccer. A friend called me up and said he would take me out for a round of golf and we could take a cart as I was not able to walk that far without my knee swelling up. I answerd by saying why would anyone want to play that silly game. He answered why not at least it would get me out of the house for a few hours and give my wife some peace for a change.
    On the third hole, a par three 120 yrds I hit an 8 iron and you all know that feeling when it is just right and it feels like butter off the club face. It landed 6 feet from the hole and at that monment I was hooked for life. The next week I went out and bought my first set of clubs and started to read everything I could on the game. Took lessons every spring and I have been playing for 15 years. Shoot low 80s and sometimes when the golf gods are looking favourably on me I get into the 70s (4 times this year). I will play this game until the day I die.

Birdie Husband is on a distinguished road
    Picked up the game when I was 14 or 15... been playing on and off for 10 years. The last 5 years were the only ones Ive been playing a lot

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    I started playing Larrimac GC when I was 10 or 11, my buddies had a cottage behind the 2nd green. We played 18 in the morning, went back for lunch and swim at the cottage, then 18 in the afternoon. Those were the days.
    I played every year until my son was born then took a few years off. I started playing again seriously about 10 or 12 years ago. I love it more now than I ever have. Playing the best golf of my life the past 2 years, thank you to the Eye Institute and Dr. Fournier; best eye surgeon around.
    Never been prouder than the day my son made the "B" golf team at his high school.
    I love the game, he only likes it once in a while.
    I am addicted to golf , my son is addicted to rugby , oh well.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Gap Wedge Kosmo is on a distinguished road Kosmo's Avatar
    I moved to Kemptville from Nepean in 1985, a new neighbour introduced me to the game 1986. We started playing at Rideau Glen, I think $6.00 for as much golf you could get in. I'm still friends with him, and we now have upgraded our courses to Palm Springs, California where he lives. I know live in Stonebridge, and play between 80-100 rounds per year there, and have recently purchased a new home at Equinelle backing onto #7. I'm 47 now, expect to get another 40+ years in .

Driver Adska is on a distinguished road
    I started playing on my 18th birthday, the summer of 2001. 27 now, and can't wait to play for the rest of my life!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I really took up the game at 35 after switching to LH
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    Starting playing when I was 12, more going to the driving range then playing courses. Then a few years later worked at the 19th Tee on Carling Ave, saved up enough money to get my first set of Northwesterns at Consumers Distributing...lol

Have been hooked ever since.

Sand Wedge keithf is on a distinguished road

Smile

Just completed my 3rd full season - I'm now 57. I wish I had started a lot earlier!

Gap Wedge Steveh is on a distinguished road
    Just finished my second season with a few rounds in the 80's and most in the 90-100 range. Age 54. Should have started earlier but never had any interest before now. Now I am hooked and just added a P3proswing for winter practice in the garage.

Par rhh7 is on a distinguished road rhh7's Avatar
    I was ten when I had my first lesson. My pro was Lionel Hebert, this was just about one year before he worn the PGA Championship.

Putter Rideaugolfer is on a distinguished road
    Probably first stared around 8-9 but once I hit 13-14 didn't touch a club for over 15 years. Just stared again 5 years ago so I have a lot of catching up to do.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    I took up the game when I was about 12. My family joined Cedarhill when it first came into existence. I and 3 friends would ride our bikes from Bells Corners to the course in order to tee off at 7 a.m., finish the round by 11 a.m. in time for a plate of fries and a dip in the pool, back on the tee before noon and we'd often be off again before 4 p.m. when they closed the tee to adult members. We'd get that 3rd 18 started just in the nick of time...lol! Many a dark ride going home, I can tell you...lol!

I often think of those days walking down a fairway somewhere...always with a smile and wondering what else I'd be doing if I hadn't been introduced then to this incredibly wonderful game!
    Last edited by imozzie; 04-01-2011 at 09:47 AM.
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Putter Prince is on a distinguished road
    Started at 21 and hated it. Might have something to do with the 180s I was shooting. Restarted last year at age 39 and fell in love. All about the timing I guess.

Albatross goliath is on a distinguished road goliath's Avatar
    When I was younger I would go in the field and shoot the ball around. Only had a 5-7 iron and a 3 wood. Went with my grand father in soccer fields and would shoot the ball around. I played maybe 2 rounds at the pine view executive course when I was around 15 then took 10 years off.

Played 2 rounds in late October 2 years ago then last year played over 70 rounds.
    Hope to play over 70 this year with club links and hopefully break into the 70's and be consistently in the low 80's.

I have a very addictive personality when it come to sports and this is my new addiction for sure.

5 Wood amac is on a distinguished road
    I started playing and was a member in the same year (7 years old in 1975). The minimum age for membership at Cataraqui GC in Kingston was 8, so my dad had to petition the Board to allow me to play. I was allowed to play, but only 9 holes, and only with him.
    We joined Amherstview GC in Kingston two years later when my mom and younger brother starting playing. I have played pretty much since then, with some time off in my 20's for my pursuit of beer, women, and partying.

This year will be my 37th, and I am a member of Greyhawk now.

Lob Wedge Sand Trap is on a distinguished road Sand Trap's Avatar
    Took my first lessons when I was 16 at Emerald Links during the summer. None of my friends were into golf so I ended up droping the game that same year.
    Started playing again about four years ago at age 23 and now I'm hooked (It's amazing how a sport that can be so frustrating at times can be so addictive).
    Played about 20-25 rounds last year and hope to double that this season.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Yesterday I asked my mom what age I took up golf. She said 8 or 9 years old. So even though I took a break of about 20 years from golf, I wasn't a complete noob when I took up the game 2 years ago.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Wannamaker Jeany1 is on a distinguished road
    started at 9 years old and i'm 50 now so this why i need surgery all over my knees

Thread Information