100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scottsdale, AZ

baker

Scottsdale, AZ

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and had a couple of quick questions. My wife and I and another couple are planning to go to Scottsdale in mid-October of this year. I do realize that this is when alot of courses are overseeding for the winter but some will have done their overseeding early in September so they will be in great shape. I have been shopping around for packages but the question that I have is. Is it better to book a package with golf (2 golfers) or should I try to book a condo or house (through VRBO.com, great site for travelling) and then try to book my own tee times? I have researched the Scottsdale area and know that we want to stay somewhere near shopping, bars and resturants (the wives do not want to sit around while we golf). Also, are there any courses that are not too miss courses, we want to play Troon, and 2 other courses. My home course is Sawmill Creek in Sarnia, which is a links style course, so I would like to avoid playing a similar style course. Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated. hen we do go I will be sure to let all of you know how it was, where we stayed, etc.

thanks,

Steve

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Best person to contact is Lori Greene at Golfzoo.com. She is located in Arizona and did an amazing job at getting together my vacation package this past Spring. We stayed at Summerfield Suites by Hyatt which I highly recommend. It wasn't far from the courses and it's located in the shopping and restaurant area in Scottsdale. The place we had was a two bedroom, two bathroom with living room and kitchen.

Lori set up our golf, our rental car, and our accomodations. Call her and let her know Billy sent you from Edmonton.

I would play TPC Scottsdale Stadium Course, Troon North Monument, Grayhawk Raptor, both We-ko-pa courses were nice.

Desert golf isn't links style. You won't find that there really. It's desert golf. The TPC course is really nice with the best steak house in Arizona. It's expensive, but well worth it.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Bump. I am heading to Phoenix in March, & am looking to get a few rounds in while there. I will be playing at least one round at the resort (Pointe Golf Club at Lookout Mountain) & I am visiting an in-law who is an avid golfer there, but I am balking at some of the green fees that I am seeing online. I've been looking at this site:
    http://www.golfarizona.com/courses/featured/ it seems to be $150+ for green fees. I guess I might only play 3 times. I'm hoping that my in-law's local knowledge will help. I sure would like to play the stadium course at the TPC...
    Andrew

ok, I have to qualify this by saying I have never been to myrtle beach, but this place is off the charts for golf.

everywhere, everyone is a golfer. The courses are peak-priced right now, but my local guide tipped us off to golfnow.com, and we've already played 2 high quality rounds, and I'm looking forward to capping it off in a 120 player tournament on Tuesday at Eagle Mountain. I am loving it. Plus, I've been tearing it up down here score-wise.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    ok, I have to qualify this by saying I have never been to myrtle beach, but this place is off the charts for golf.

everywhere, everyone is a golfer. The courses are peak-priced right now, but my local guide tipped us off to golfnow.com, and we've already played 2 high quality rounds, and I'm looking forward to capping it off in a 120 player tournament on Tuesday at Eagle Mountain. I am loving it. Plus, I've been tearing it up down here score-wise.
    Play TPC Stadium! It was my favorite for sure and I played all the big name courses down there. I think the fees are $250US+ but it's worth it. The steakhouse there is amazing too!

I never got the chance to play the tpc stadium, but I am very happy with the courses I got to play. Lookout mountain, a place called coldwater, and a beautiful course called eagle mountain. coldwater was only $43 with a cart & it was more than acceptable. the other 2 were exceptional, perfect. I don't want to come home, but I am certain that I'm coming back.
    Andrew

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Andrew,

I am heading down to Phoeniz/Tempe area in 4 weeks for business and will be there for 2 weeks. I am planning on bringing my clubs and playing 4 rounds on the weekend I will have to stay over.

Looking for a good course or two in the $50 range I could play at, which hopefully might have a play a second round and pay for cart only policy.

Can you recommend any?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    I never got the chance to play the tpc stadium, but I am very happy with the courses I got to play. Lookout mountain, a place called coldwater, and a beautiful course called eagle mountain. coldwater was only $43 with a cart & it was more than acceptable. the other 2 were exceptional, perfect. I don't want to come home, but I am certain that I'm coming back.

Golf Pig of the Year 07,08 rpangman is on a distinguished road rpangman's Avatar
    Try "Golf now.com". Put in Phoenix or another area and they show you courses and available tee times, usually for the next day and all at greatly reduced rates. Most of the prices listed include carts.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Hi guys--I am here in Scottsdale now and it's not easy finding affordable courses but I am not going to stop looking--most are 150.00 plus---they are in beautiful shape but with 3 more weeks to go it could get exspensive. Will let you know what I find.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Hi guys--I am here in Scottsdale now and it's not easy finding affordable courses but I am not going to stop looking--most are 150.00 plus---they are in beautiful shape but with 3 more weeks to go it could get exspensive. Will let you know what I find.
    Hope you're having fun boss! I believe it's high season now so most courses are taking advantage of the vacationers now. Early May is when all the prices drop. You can plat Troon North for $35US if you have a Troon card because they drop their rates to $70 but give two for one with the card.

EG--we are having a riot---especially when the fellas post their home pics We did not realize how big Phoenix is so you have to plan your driving around the rush hours etc but once you figure it out your OK. We dropped in to the PGA Superstore yesterday and immediatly asked for a map to find our way around the store The prices were pretty good for balls 17.00 for Tietilist So/Lo----same for Calloway---upper end was also cheaper. I don't think there was a golf item not represented in that store.

Pictures of the surrounding area does not do it justice---mountains-low desert--high desert-canyons- mesas--you almost expect Cowboys to jump over the next ridge

More notes later and hopfully some pics---having trouble resizing.

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    EG--we are having a riot---especially when the fellas post their home pics We did not realize how big Phoenix is so you have to plan your driving around the rush hours etc but once you figure it out your OK. We dropped in to the PGA Superstore yesterday and immediatly asked for a map to find our way around the store The prices were pretty good for balls 17.00 for Tietilist So/Lo----same for Calloway---upper end was also cheaper. I don't think there was a golf item not represented in that store.

Pictures of the surrounding area does not do it justice---mountains-low desert--high desert-canyons- mesas--you almost expect Cowboys to jump over the next ridge

More notes later and hopfully some pics---having trouble resizing.
    I loved it when I was there last April. In fact, I would move there if I could do the same work I do here.

Glad you're having a good time.

Baxter
    Guys, make sure you check out Barcelona....What a nightclub........Sorry I can't get the link to work.Copy and paste.

www.barcelonaarizona.com

Last edited by Baxter; 03-13-2008 at 08:30 AM. Reason: link

All our games were booked by my wife's uncle, a golf nut & Phoenix resident of 30+ years. rpangman was right, golfnow.com was the key to affordability. we played 2 rounds at courses that listed green fees over $150 for $43 and $44 using that site. We were always 3 (or more) but that site was super if you were a single.

All the courses were great, I played Lookout Mountain (at the hilton on tapatio cliffs) and Eagle Mountain (north of Scottsdale) and a course called Coldwater to the east of Phoenix. They were all basically perfect. the 1st 2 were a little fancier than Coldwater, but I had fun at all 3 courses.
    Andrew

Golf Pig of the Year 07,08 rpangman is on a distinguished road rpangman's Avatar
    I'm glad that that site (golfnow.com) worked out for you. I got it from a friend that holidays in Arizona every winter.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Well,

I am all set to play this weekend. I have booked Starfire for 36 holes on Saturday and Pointe Lookout Mountain (Based ok Sak's recommendation) for 36 on Sunday.

I am psyched!

Any tips for playing pointe lookout mountain or Starfire?

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Reza, if you go to Starfire get a lesson from Bobby Eldrige, he is amazing and it will be the best money you ever spent. He is a short game master and can spot any swing flaw in a few minutes. I joined his Purepoint Golf apprentice club and he is very good at teaching.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Rez--glad to see you didn't get lost I guess everything is in full bloom there now---have a great time

Thread Information