So I head out for a rare afternoon round. Get to the course, go through a few quick stretches (already quite warmed up from a day of hard labour ) step up and proceed to pound my opening drive to about 15 ft short of the first green (295 yd). Grab LW and almost hole out the chip for eagle, make the 1ft and I'm on my way -1. After pars at two and three I sneak in another birdie from the fringe on the par 3 4th. Another par and then another birdie at 6. So at this point I'm -3 and feeling pretty. I haven't hit a bad shot yet. Another par, then a bogey and finish the front nine with another birdie. -3 at the turn, my best start yet and I am striking the best better than I have in a very long time.

So after a quick breather and a few calming nerves I start off on the back. A solid par then another hiccup at 11. Two more pars then a birdie on 14 to get back to -3.

So here I am, where I was last time out when I flirted with an under par round. -3 on the 15th tee. I nail a drive down the middle and only have a pitch to the green. I get it pin high and two putt for a nice par. Phew, already better than last time.

So on to my nemsis hole, the 180 yd par 3 16th over the gulley. There was a bit of breeze at my back so I settle on a 7 iron. I hit it dead flag high just right off the green. When I get to my ball it has settle down in some very sparse clover type grass. Thinking it's going to jump I try to take a bit off the chip and leave it short in the rough. Another chip on and I'm faced with a fairly long bogey putt. I take two good reads at it and pour it in the centre of the cup. -2 with two to play.

Well unlike the last time I flirted, there was no drama this time around. With some smart play two pars secured my first ever round under par. A very nice 69 for a -2 final score.

I can't tell you how excited I am today. I don't care if I ever do it again, I've at least done it once and it feels great. The ball is now proudly mounted in my display case.

So final tally for the day:

Front nine of 34
Back nine of 35
9 fwys hit
10 greens hit
25 putts
And it all equals up to my first sub par round!!!!!!