CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    7 Wood Riddler is on a distinguished road Riddler's Avatar

Titleist propaganda????

What is the difference in the new pro v1 and pro v1x versus the old ones? Also the difference in the new nxt tour versus the old one?

How much is a marketing ploy just to charge more for a ball versus actual improvements?
    Rob

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Every year or so they change the cover/core formulation slightly. This is usually based on the feedback of one or more of their top name tour players.

Sometimes the general public likes the change, sometimes they don't. This assumes you have the skill to benefit from playing a ProV1 in the first place.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I'm not an expert but I think that the newer Pro V1s fly further but spin less than the originals. I use them but only on certain courses with very firm greens. I have a number of the old original pro v's but use them only when I play pitch and putt or very short par three courses with tiny greens. Those suckers really dance but not nearly as much as the original tour editions with the blue letters, did they ever spin.....didn't go anywhere off of the tee but man could you get some serious back spin with those babies .

4 Iron SRT4SS is on a distinguished road
    the 2007 prov1's have a seamless cover which allows for complete dimple coverage

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    There's no doubt in my mind that you're right Frank. I'm hitting tee shots 15 to 20 yards longer than last year with the new Pro V1s. I too have noticed that they don't dance to a stop as quickly as the older ones. On the other hand, the fact that the grooves on my old wedges are almost non-existent (save for the 56 degree wedge that I "borrowed" from my wife - with ladies shaft no less) may explain the lack of real spin.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaster15213 View Post
    I'm not an expert but I think that the newer Pro V1s fly further but spin less than the originals. I use them but only on certain courses with very firm greens. I have a number of the old original pro v's but use them only when I play pitch and putt or very short par three courses with tiny greens. Those suckers really dance but not nearly as much as the original tour editions with the blue letters, did they ever spin.....didn't go anywhere off of the tee but man could you get some serious back spin with those babies .
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    There's no doubt in my mind that you're right Frank. I'm hitting tee shots 15 to 20 yards longer than last year with the new Pro V1s.
    Wow, if a busted up old guy with one good ankle is getting that much distance I might need to try them.

I have never really liked the ProV1s because they always spin too much for me on full iron shots. I always end up giving the ones I find to one of my playing partners.

I might try one of the 2007 ones for kicks to see if they spin less for me but at $56/dozen I'm not likely to switch to them as my main golf ball.

Slightly off topic, you're right about those Tour Edition balls Frank. I think they cost Greg Norman a US Open since IIRC he was playing them when he spun a ball off the green at Shinnecock when he lost to Pavin.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Thread Information