CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Golf in Iran

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar

Golf in Iran

For the entire month of May my wife, kids and I were in Iran staying with the outlaws. I decided to take my clubs and ended up playing a few rounds at a local course in North Tehran.

I found out the course had been designed by Arnold Palmer. But unfortunately 6 of the holes were razed to make room for buildings. In Tehran, the price of land is very expensive. Where the course is situated the price of land is approximately $900 U.S.D. per square foot.

Unfortunately the course was not in very good shape. The fairways resmebled the rough and so on. It is too bad becuase the course had some much potental and was rahter tough.

On the positive side I did have the course to myself a lot and since the course is at an altitude of around 1900 meters, the balls were flying a lot farther than expected.

Anyways, here are a few shots for the curious.

Tee box at #1495 yard dogleg left par 5 - I hit that in 2 one day and missed my Eagle putt. I am a short hitter so that was an accomplishment)

Looking back at Fairway #1:

From the tee box on #8, looking back at the #7 fairway:

From the tee box for #8. You can see the #7 green and #8 fairway:

From the tee box #3:

Par 3 - 6th hole - 150 yards. I got that close to an ace:

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Wild! Too bad the course is only 12 holes and in rough shape. But what an experience to play in that country. Reminds me when I played in India.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Very interesting... love to hear of courses in places you'd never think there would be one! I guess Arnie was wooed there to do a course many moons ago by some Iranian tycoon?
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Looks like a lot of fun Reza, thanks for the pics. Rough in the fairway wouldn't bother me a bit, not used to being in the fairway anyway.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Actually the course was designed at the request of the Shah of Iran, right in the middle of a gigantic sporting complex.

The amount of undulations, and blind shots onto tiny greens were impressive. And lots of elevation changes too.

I wish I was loaded. I would buy that course and bring it back to shape. Then I would play it every day.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Very interesting... love to hear of courses in places you'd never think there would be one! I guess Arnie was wooed there to do a course many moons ago by some Iranian tycoon?

Thread Information