CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar

Eagle Creek - Can the Public Still Play there?

I'm taking my cousins from the UK out on a golf trip. They have heard of Eagle Creek. I know it was purchased by clublink. That being said can the public still come?

Also is it THAT much better than StoneBridge?

Rob

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Still open to the public for this year.. Stonebridge is a links style course.. Eagle Creek is much different.. Depends what your looking for.. IMHO Eagle Creek is better.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    My understanding is that this is the last year the public can play.
    But, why don't you call the course and hear it from the horse's mouth?

I'm going to just at work now and I knew if I posted here I'd have a reply before I could blink

Thanks guys,
    Rob

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Personally, I prefer Stonebridge to Eagle Creek. Most people here would disagree though the ones that would probably wouldn't say it was that much better than SB.

For whatever reason, I like playing EC but I don't love it and perhaps its because I rarely score well there. I find SB more playable, but the greens can get to you (though they don't bother me).

It's also a long way out for me to get there so that can have some bearing as well.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dH View Post
    I'm taking my cousins from the UK out on a golf trip. They have heard of Eagle Creek. I know it was purchased by clublink. That being said can the public still come?

Also is it THAT much better than StoneBridge?

Rob
    Personally i would say it is THAT much better than Stonebridge. I played both courses about 10 times and really don't think that SB compares to EC. Now there are factors that might make them comparable, but if we are strictly looking at golf course layout versus each other, i think Eagle is hands down better in my opinion. I love the fact that you don't see any houses on Eagle.

8 Iron hackman is on a distinguished road
    Just played the creek on sat and it was in awesome shape the greens were lighting fast and to me its the closest course we have that could host the canadian open
    Now that the clubhouse is in full operation and not the biggest cart storage facility in the city its well worth the Cnote they will charge you to play
    Black flies were the only negative thing about the day
    Being a clublinker i for one was very pleased when we grabbed this track up so play it if you get a chance because it will be difficult to get on next year
    have a good one

Thanks everyone,

Decided to go with Stonebridge. It's 3 people one paying so if you can save 150$ and still have a great time on a quality course why not.

That being said anyone know any secrets at SB? I'm playing a single digit handicapper tomorrow in skins. (My 14 year old cousin... just slightly jealous). I plan on losing my shirt but he's still young enough to go for EVERYTHING so if I play bogey golf with some pars I may beat him when he gets bit for going for those par 5's in 2 .

In other words which holes on the course are best for being aggressive and which ones should you be even more cautious than you'd think?

Thanks again for everyones timely replies.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Thanks everyone,

Decided to go with Stonebridge. It's 3 people one paying so if you can save 150$ and still have a great time on a quality course why not.

That being said anyone know any secrets at SB? I'm playing a single digit handicapper tomorrow in skins. (My 14 year old cousin... just slightly jealous). I plan on losing my shirt but he's still young enough to go for EVERYTHING so if I play bogey golf with some pars I may beat him when he gets bit for going for those par 5's in 2 .

In other words which holes on the course are best for being aggressive and which ones should you be even more cautious than you'd think?

go here:

http://www.ottawagolf.com/stonebridge/index.htm

it's not an overly long course, especially the east. Getting it in the fairway is key as there is lots of fescue you want no part of (you will not find your ball). It's not a course you will overpower, and you have to hit the right part of the green - not doing so will result in 3 putts as they are highly contoured and most have multiple elevations. Also, the majority of the greens are elevated so most will require an extra club to reach, more so if the pin is at the back.

That being said, there are some pin postions you want no part of as shortsiding yourself is deadly. It's a demanding course the first time around can frustrate you especially if you spend a lot of time in the fescue.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar

I could probably play SB blindfolded. I might even score better than when I can see.

General comment. It is almost always better to be long than short. Lots of nasty bunkers waiting to get your ball and most of the greens are elevated so if in doubt, take an extra club.

Hole by hole tips. These assume no crazy wind, which can be a factor.

West 1: Off the tee play aim left. Don't get cute with the water, it's not worth it. If the pin is front right, missing short is better than long.

West 2: Don't be afraid to bail left.

West 3: Don't get greedy. Lay up to 100 yards out and hit an easy wedge into the green.

West 4: Aim at the left corner of the fairway bunkers. This is the safest play. Don't try to go for the back right pin unless you have a short iron. Middle of the green.

West 5. Aim your tee shot just to the left of the trees at the start of the fairway. Try and hit your layup to the left side of the fairway. Don't miss this green short.

West 6. Try for the right side of the fairway. You are better off in the mounds right than in the bunkers because you have a good angle to the green.

West 7. Check your alignment. The tee box will try to aim you right of the target.

West 8. Don't try for the upper fairway unless you know you can make it. You don't want to be hung up in the bunkers/hill. Go for something just pas 150 on the lower deck.

West 9. Plenty of room on the right side of the fairway, but this means you have to hit over bunkers. If you can draw the ball around the fairway bunkers that is a good play.

East 1. Be very careful on your layup. The fairway narrows quickly and runs towards the water.

East 2. Middle of the green.

East 3. DO NOT miss the fairway left.

East 4. Unless you are sure you can drive the green, lay up.

East 5. Easy tee shot. If the flag is on either the front or middle sections, aim for the left side of the green, it funnels everything to the right. If it's on the back section, good luck.

East 6. Watch the wind. It can be tricky.

East 7. Don't mess with cutting the corner, it's not worth it. Aim for the right side of the green.

East 8. Nothing special.

East 9. Tough to hit in two. Hit your layup over the fairway bunker in the middle toward the right edge so that you have a pitch up the length of the green.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Awesome!!!

Thanks so much for taking the time to post this. Come to think of it there should be a section where members can post their play by plays and then over time the section breaks into courses so say for StoneBridge you can see 5 different peoples play by play and after a while if you find someone with your style just try and follow their instructions.

Sorry this was just so exactly what I needed I was thinking it deserves a thread in its own .

Thanks again this should help me; I need all the help I can get!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    I could probably play SB blindfolded. I might even score better than when I can see.

General comment. It is almost always better to be long than short. Lots of nasty bunkers waiting to get your ball and most of the greens are elevated so if in doubt, take an extra club.

Hole by hole tips. These assume no crazy wind, which can be a factor.

West 1: Off the tee play aim left. Don't get cute with the water, it's not worth it. If the pin is front right, missing short is better than long.

West 2: Don't be afraid to bail left.

West 3: Don't get greedy. Lay up to 100 yards out and hit an easy wedge into the green.

West 4: Aim at the left corner of the fairway bunkers. This is the safest play. Don't try to go for the back right pin unless you have a short iron. Middle of the green.

West 5. Aim your tee shot just to the left of the trees at the start of the fairway. Try and hit your layup to the left side of the fairway. Don't miss this green short.

West 6. Try for the right side of the fairway. You are better off in the mounds right than in the bunkers because you have a good angle to the green.

West 7. Check your alignment. The tee box will try to aim you right of the target.

West 8. Don't try for the upper fairway unless you know you can make it. You don't want to be hung up in the bunkers/hill. Go for something just pas 150 on the lower deck.

West 9. Plenty of room on the right side of the fairway, but this means you have to hit over bunkers. If you can draw the ball around the fairway bunkers that is a good play.

East 1. Be very careful on your layup. The fairway narrows quickly and runs towards the water.

East 2. Middle of the green.

East 3. DO NOT miss the fairway left.

East 4. Unless you are sure you can drive the green, lay up.

East 5. Easy tee shot. If the flag is on either the front or middle sections, aim for the left side of the green, it funnels everything to the right. If it's on the back section, good luck.

East 6. Watch the wind. It can be tricky.

East 7. Don't mess with cutting the corner, it's not worth it. Aim for the right side of the green.

East 8. Nothing special.

East 9. Tough to hit in two. Hit your layup over the fairway bunker in the middle toward the right edge so that you have a pitch up the length of the green.

Thanks for all the tips! They served me well. I won the match on the final hole. Althought it said I should layup I had a monster drive and hit a 7iron from ~160 in the rough right before the path. Landed ~15 feet for eagle. Putted the very best eagle putt of my life and it went into the hole and out the other side. The fact I beat my cousin is just awesome as he's a much better golfer. I was just on, he wasen't and he lost alot of balls in the fescue playing driver everywhere. I was more like the turtoise slow, steady grind the whole way.

Thanks again for the infoz. I enjoyed stonebridge alot and actually putted quite well.

Rob

Thread Information