100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    It's safe to say that if Weir had not won the 2003 Masters, that the President's Cup would be no where near Montreal.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    probably. Weir put Canada back on the golfing map.

That being said, outside of Australia and South Africa what other possibilities are there? Korea? Japan? Fiji?

The majority of the top 25 are South African or Australian. It's slim pickings after that.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    The fact that Player picked either one, the fact that Player and Nicklaus are still the team captains for the millionth time, the fact that Player renegged on his promise to build the best team possible, and the fact that there's still no third tournament featuring an International team against a European team, shows that this event is just another PGA Tour sham, and further proves that the Presidents Cup is a very faint shadow of the Ryder Cup.

If I were a player on the International side, I would be embarassed and angry that Player caved. Likewise, players on the US side should be ashamed for putting on such a farce. If you want it to be a true "friendly exhibition" of golf, then market it as such. Stop trying to sell it as a serious competition, because it's not.

I am very happy that golf-starved Canadian fans will get to see world class golfers perform on our soil, but let's not kid ourselves. The PGA Tour has intentionally dropped the ball on this "tournament". It could have been so much more meaningful.
    i don't get the argument that the Pres Cup is nothing compared to the Ryder Cup. I love the Pres Cup over the Ryder Cup most times for one simple reason.... the conclusion is not predetermined!! The Ryder Cup is basically a victory lap for the Euros for the past 5 of 6 years, and it took a miracle to beat them in 99.

The only reason people love the Ryder Cup over the Pres' Cup is because of the history.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Gary Player stated the event would be FLAT without a Canadian on the team.

Why pick Ames? Not a true Canadian, he is Canadian by marriage. As I said before he dissed Player once when he stated being on the International Team was not one of his goals. Well guess what? He got his wish.

Here is a rundown of the points between the 10th and 20th position from the final standings for making the team.

O'Hearn was picked, he was #11 in the points race.

Between O'Hearn and Weir there was not a lot happening so why not pick the Canadian?

Sure the Presidents Cup is not the Ryder Cup, and it never will be. It was never meant to be as big as the Ryder Cup, it does not have the rich history of that event. Besides, how many of you were actually interested in the Ryder Cup before Europe started to dominate the event?

Jack and Gary are excellent choices as Captains IMO. Both have a storied career in golf. Who would you want for the International Captain, other than Greg Norman (I doubt you would ever see that happen)

The event is an exhibition of Pro Golf. Nothing more, nothing less. Enjoy it for what it is worth.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Gary Player stated the event would be FLAT without a Canadian on the team.

Why pick Ames? Not a true Canadian, he is Canadian by marriage. As I said before he dissed Player once when he stated being on the International Team was not one of his goals. Well guess what? He got his wish.

Here is a rundown of the points between the 10th and 20th position from the final standings for making the team.

O'Hearn was picked, he was #11 in the points race.

Between O'Hearn and Weir there was not a lot happening so why not pick the Canadian?
    Romero had 155.5 points to Weir/s 125.2 that is a difference of 30.3 points which works out to 24% of Weirs TOTAL amount of points..........I'm not sure how you can say that is not a lot

The thing that I love the most about golf is that golfers get "paid" based on their performance and their performance alone there isn't one over paid chronic under achiever amonst them (a la Alexi Yashin).....and I'm talking about official money here, NOT endorsements.

Why have a President's cup point race or a Ryder cup point race if you can totally disregard that fact that there were 8 guys more deserving than Mike Weir??

Need a Caddy rgk5 is on a distinguished road rgk5's Avatar
    8-6 is hardly lights out.

Wondering if all of those who are objecting are attending the President's Cup? If you are, would you not want to have a Canadian there to cheer for and create excitement?
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Golf Nut pvs1313 is on a distinguished road pvs1313's Avatar
    iam possibly attenfing, and no, i woudl rather have had badderly myself he woudl hve been my chouice,

Quote Originally Posted by pvs1313 View Post
    iam possibly attenfing, and no, i woudl rather have had badderly myself he woudl hve been my chouice,
    Are you on a Blackberry or are you typing with mittens on?
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Maybe this is what happened. Could it be possible that Tim Finchem pulled Player aside and said " You need to pick Mike Weir as one of your picks, since this event is being held in Canada. Mike will boost ticket sales where others won't"

Could that be possible?

Now, with that said. How many of you would have been hacked if someone else in that top 20 had been picked? You would then say "This event is being held in CANADA and there is no CANADIAN on the team? That is CRAP"

Seems to me Gary could not have won either way.

Get over it boys and girls, Mikey is coming to Montreal in September! If you do not wish to watch him play then do not go or turn off the TV

Maybe this is what happened. Could it be possible that Tim Finchem pulled Player aside and said " You need to pick Mike Weir as one of your picks, since this event is being held in Canada. Mike will boost ticket sales where others won't"

Could that be possible?
    I think you have hit the nail on the head there Mon Ami

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    I agree with Golfbum on this one. I am a proud Canadian and often at times am embarrassed on how the Canadian's react when we try to "help out" or promote one of our own. If this occurred in the United States in any sport and the US was hosting you could be "darn sure" there would be a US representative on the team.

Heck folks do you think we would be having the same arguement if Canada was hosting an International hockey competition and there were two picks left and Gretz or Super Mario were still playing in their final years but because of injury they had not put up very good numbers. There would be a National Riot if those guys were not picked.................

Problem is we are often too darn polite.............

Mike has proven himself in tough previous International Competition. Yes he is coming back from injuries and has made a significant swing change so has had some erractic play. Having Mike on the team will certainly bring the crowd on the side heavily of the International team. I would bet if Mike was not there many, including myself who will be attending a couple of days would find it hard to root for the International guys as we can relate much better with Tiger, Phil and our close neighbours to the South.

Look forward to attending and cheering on Mike and International guys.

And "NO" I will "NOT" be the one yelling "GET IN THE HOLE" when Mike tees off on a Par 5..............
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    You can't possibly be serious when you say that Ames is "not a true Canadian." He is not a Canadian by marriage. There is no automatic right to citizenship based on marriage to a Canadian, which his wife is. Ames chose to become a Canadian in 2004 and chose to reside in Canada. We should draw no distinction between those of us who were born here and those of us who chose to come here, and especially not for discriminatory reasons. One Quebec politician tried to make just such a distinction, and was soundly and correctly denounced for it. The fact of the matter is that for most of us, our ancestors were not the original inhabitants of this country. First Nations people were. The rest of us, like Ames, arrived here from abroad or our ancestors did.

Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    Heck folks do you think we would be having the same arguement if Canada was hosting an International hockey competition and there were two picks left and Gretz or Super Mario were still playing in their final years but because of injury they had not put up very good numbers. There would be a National Riot if those guys were not picked.................
    Gee, sounds familiar. I seem to remember when they did that at the Nagano Olympics, and it backfired horribly. They put on the old guys who were entitled by name to the spots, and they came home empty handed. It should not matter what the public thinks. They should put the best possible team together. Player did not do that. Also, you make the distinction here about them putting up poor numbers because of injury. If that was the case, I could certainly understand putting Weir on the team. But the reason his numbers are low is that he has been playing poorly for 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    You can't possibly be serious when you say that Ames is "not a true Canadian." He is not a Canadian by marriage. There is no automatic right to citizenship based on marriage to a Canadian, which his wife is. Ames chose to become a Canadian in 2004 and chose to reside in Canada. We should draw no distinction between those of us who were born here and those of us who chose to come here, and especially not for discriminatory reasons. One Quebec politician tried to make just such a distinction, and was soundly and correctly denounced for it. The fact of the matter is that for most of us, our ancestors were not the original inhabitants of this country. First Nations people were. The rest of us, like Ames, arrived here from abroad or our ancestors did.
    Yes agree that Stephen is now a Canadian Citizen.

Interesting though what country did he "CHOOSE" to play for in the World Cup of Golf held this past December in Barbados........??
    http://www.worldgolfchampionships.co.../r169/9789976/

If you guessed his native country of Trinidad & Tobago then you are correct.
    He chose that country so he could play with his brother, rather than playing for Canada !!! As the leading Canadian $ winner in December he could have played for Canada and then was allowed to pick any other Canadian on the tour. He could have played with Mike. But, no Mike represented Canada along with his pick Jim Rutledge. That says ALOT !!!!

Hey just think if Gary picked both Mike and Ames then there might have been two flags on the scoreboard. Canada and Trinidad & Tobago..............You just never know with that guy........................
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Gee, sounds familiar. I seem to remember when they did that at the Nagano Olympics, and it backfired horribly. They put on the old guys who were entitled by name to the spots, and they came home empty handed. It should not matter what the public thinks. They should put the best possible team together. Player did not do that. Also, you make the distinction here about them putting up poor numbers because of injury. If that was the case, I could certainly understand putting Weir on the team. But the reason his numbers are low is that he has been playing poorly for 4 years.
    Yeah......see my other post...................re: recent World Cup of Golf.

Perhaps Player was worried if he picked Ames he might ask to represent his native Trinidad & Tobago and NOT Canada............Never know with that guy..........

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Well said mpare - and anyone who isn't comfortable with that reality may as well move now becaue first generation Canadians will make up the majority of our workforce within 15 years..........extrapolating to other things we should expect more of our athletes to have been born in other countries as well.

Yes agree that Stephen is now a Canadian Citizen.

Interesting though what country did he "CHOOSE" to play for in the World Cup of Golf held this past December in Barbados........??
    http://www.worldgolfchampionships.co.../r169/9789976/

If you guessed his native country of Trinidad & Tobago then you are correct.
    He chose that country so he could play with his brother, rather than playing for Canada !!! As the leading Canadian $ winner in December he could have played for Canada and then was allowed to pick any other Canadian on the tour. He could have played with Mike. But, no Mike represented Canada along with his pick Jim Rutledge. That says ALOT !!!!

Hey just think if Gary picked both Mike and Ames then there might have been two flags on the scoreboard. Canada and Trinidad & Tobago..............You just never know with that guy........................
    Honestly, all that says to me is that he wanted to play with his brother. How often do you get the chance to play in the world cup with your brother? I don't think anybody can fault him or question his patriotism based on that decision. Maybe he also thought there were other Canadians (like Rutledge) who deserved an opportunity they might not otherwise get. So maybe it was actually the quintessentially Canadian gesture: politely stepping aside to make room for someone less fortunate .

Yeah......see my other post...................re: recent World Cup of Golf.

Perhaps Player was worried if he picked Ames he might ask to represent his native Trinidad & Tobago and NOT Canada............Never know with that guy..........
    ..............My point here is that neither should be going. I don't know what that has to do with Stephen Ames' supposedly questionable patriotism................

Geez we really love to eat our young here in Canada don't we? A Canadian gets picked for a prestigious exhibition, and instead of being happy for the guy, we're ripping into his selection. Weird.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Personally, I'd rather question things than assume that everything everybody else does/says is correct

Someone said it earlier in this thread I think - Player would be getting bbq'd had he not picked Weir or a Canadian, at minimum.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Geez we really love to eat our young here in Canada don't we? A Canadian gets picked for a prestigious exhibition, and instead of being happy for the guy, we're ripping into his selection. Weird.
    Exactly what I said earlier. Its not so much weird but darn embarrassing.......

I wonder if the South African press and "South African Golf Forum fans" were ripping Gary Player for picking fellow a South African in the last President Cup event?
    And yes Immelman was ranked 21st at the time..............

No it was not the South Africans, but the other countries who thought the decision was biased.

Thats the way it should be here folks...............Let the other countries get mad at Mike being on the team, not us in Canada. Honestly, you are not going to see the other countries get that mad. They understand why Mike was picked!!! Hope Canadians do also..............!!!

Oh and to all of you on this Forum who believe firmly that Mike has no place on the team, Do Not hurt yourselves all jumping on the bandwagon when the International squad with a solid play from Mike beat Tiger, Phil and the boys quite soundly..........

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    As a Canadian I am actually embarassed at some of the the comments in this thread. It started out as a congratulations to Weir, and is going South in a hurry. What on earth are you nay sayers thinking? Let's not crucify the two best Canadian golfers here. To vilify Ames who has dual citizenship and IS a Canadian citizen for playing under a flag where he is a citizen with his brother is just too narrow minded for words. Weir is a Masters Champion and a Canadian with a good Match play record. Seems like a no brainer pick for this event for a LOT of reasons to me.

I for one will be rooting for him, and since he will play with or without our collective blessing, I'd hope you all get behind him too.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    To vilify Ames who has dual citizenship and IS a Canadian citizen for playing under a flag where he is a citizen with his brother is just too narrow minded for words. Weir is a Masters Champion and a Canadian with a good Match play record. Seems like a no brainer pick for this event for a LOT of reasons to me.

I for one will be rooting for him, and since he will play with or without our collective blessing, I'd hope you all get behind him too.
    Glad you are rooting for Mike !!!

"Vilify" is a strong word. Only pointed out Ames had a choice in December who to play for. People can make their own judgements.

I hate to say it, but I believe I used the right word.

Once again I have been misunderstood in my remarks about Ames. I realize he is a CANADIAN NOW. However what I meant to say was this and if anyone disagrees then so be it. MIKE WAS BORN IN CANADA. Ames was not.

Yes I realize you take on Canadian status when you take your test (the Government still does that do they not?)

If Ames had been picked I would have been happy. Either way, I agree we needed some Canuck Power on this team. For the simple fact it is being held on Canadian soil. Either Weir or Ames would have been a big plus. Player decided to go with Mike. He has the experience in this competition, Ames does not.

I was surely not trying to crucify Ames for the fact he came here to live. But I guess some of you thought I was Personally I happen to like watching him play golf.

Even without a Canadian on the International Team I still would cheer for that team. Unlike someone on another Canadian Golf Forum who stated if there were no Canadians on the team he would be cheering for USA.

Anyone who has Canadian citizenship is a Canadian and shoud be recognized as an equal in Canadian society. You do not have to be born in Canada. This is not really subject to opinion, but a matter of fact.

At any rate I find myself skirting the no politics rule so let's get back to rooting for Mike shall we?

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    While I believe that, at this time, Ames would have been the better Canadian pick, I will definitely be rooting for Mike and the International Team. Let's face it, he's a very likeable guy.

... At any rate I find myself skirting the no politics rule so let's get back to rooting for Mike shall we?
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

As a Canadian I am actually embarassed at some of the the comments in this thread. It started out as a congratulations to Weir, and is going South in a hurry. What on earth are you nay sayers thinking? Let's not crucify the two best Canadian golfers here. To vilify Ames who has dual citizenship and IS a Canadian citizen for playing under a flag where he is a citizen with his brother is just too narrow minded for words. Weir is a Masters Champion and a Canadian with a good Match play record. Seems like a no brainer pick for this event for a LOT of reasons to me.

I'm pretty sure this is directed at me. I'm just wondering. When did questioning the decision to add him to the team become a vilification of Weir. I wish him no ill. In fact, I hope he goes out and kicks some ass. But that doesn't mean that the decision to add him was the right one, or that it shouldn't be questioned. People are getting way to sensitive about this.

Thread Information