100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

Player picks Weir!!!!!!!

I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

1 Iron B Nation is on a distinguished road
    I Love the Pick!! But probably just because I love Mike Weir.

I am so psyched to go to Montreal and watch this thing now!

Go Mikey!

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    Somehow I doubt Ames will be pissed. If you recall he dissed Gary a year or so ago saying he was not that interested in playing on the Presidents Cup Team. I guess Gary did not forget that remark.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    SsssswwwweeeeettttttT!!!!!!!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    A pleasant surprise! I figured after bombing out this weekend Player would not pick him. But Mike is a good match play guy and has a good history in this event that Player remembers. Will make going there on the Saturday that much more enjoyable!
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I think Ames would've played himself on with an even par round yesterday, wilting beside Tiger definitely wouldn't have helped. And the only reason Weir was picked was because of the location of the event. You will never see captain's picks used the same way in the Ryder Cup.

That said, I'm extemely happy to see Weir on the team. I wish he could have earned it, but I'm happy to see him there anyway.

Golf Nut pvs1313 is on a distinguished road pvs1313's Avatar
    problem is, he just doesn't belong there. not even close this year.

he was on a bit of a run but really, they should not pick just becuase it is in his home country.

Should have picked badderly

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Great pic, Mikey is a more liked in Canada, the fans will go more crazy for him than Ames.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pvs1313 View Post
    problem is, he just doesn't belong there. not even close this year.
    Agreed. I'm looking forward to watching him compete in the event but I hope this doesn't set a precedent. I would hate to see a 'Canadian clause' for future events where host countries are guaranteed to have at least one of their own on the team.
    However, it will certainly increase interest in the event for Canadians, and I think Mike will shoot the lights out.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    You heard it here first - This will get Mikey's career back on track!
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    Agreed. I'm looking forward to watching him compete in the event but I hope this doesn't set a precedent. I would hate to see a 'Canadian clause' for future events where host countries are guaranteed to have at least one of their own on the team.
    However, it will certainly increase interest in the event for Canadians, and I think Mike will shoot the lights out.
    This would not set a precedent, last Pres Cup, Player took Clark and Immelman when the event was in South Africa.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    Don't get me wrong as I'm happy for Mikey...... but come on! It's Mike Weir! He's done absolutely nothing since his Masters win and that's the only thing that keeps him in anyone's mind. If Gary Player wanted the more consistant Canadian golfer, he should have chosen Stephen Ames.

In any case, I believe that neither player deserves to be on the team as far as skill goes. I am happy that there is a Canadian presence though.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shtick View Post
    Don't get me wrong as I'm happy for Mikey...... but come on! It's Mike Weir! He's done absolutely nothing since his Masters win and that's the only thing that keeps him in anyone's mind. If Gary Player wanted the more consistant Canadian golfer, he should have chosen Stephen Ames.

In any case, I believe that neither player deserves to be on the team as far as skill goes. I am happy that there is a Canadian presence though.
    I agree wholeheartedly - Weir was ranked 20th on the list and Ames was 19th going into the PGA.......that means that 9 more deserving golfers were passed over so Mike could make the team.

Who will Weir's teammates take to him? Presumably these guys all want to be the US and they may be miffed that Gary didn't pick the strongest team possible.

I hope that Mike wins every match that he's in, but I still don't think he deserves to be there

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    This would not set a precedent, last Pres Cup, Player took Clark and Immelman when the event was in South Africa.
    The last Pres Cup was actually played in the US. The 2003 Pres Cup was played in Africa and I don't think Immelman was on the team.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I am a Mike Weir fan, but he should not have been picked for the International Team. He's been playing very poorly and has a persistent injury. By contrast, Ames - the forgotten Canadian (and a resident Canadian by choice) has been playing circles around him He should have been Gary's choice.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly - Weir was ranked 20th on the list and Ames was 19th going into the PGA.......that means that 9 more deserving golfers were passed over so Mike could make the team.

Who will Weir's teammates take to him? Presumably these guys all want to be the US and they may be miffed that Gary didn't pick the strongest team possible.

I hope that Mike wins every match that he's in, but I still don't think he deserves to be there
    I have a feeling that part of the reason that Weir was picked is because him and Immelman played relatively well in the last Cup together.

I suspect that Mike was picked, because he is perceived as a Canadian and Ames is not. As for how he'll fare, I wish him all the luck in the world, but his track record has been absysmal this year. It's difficult to imagine that this will change within a month.

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    I have a feeling that part of the reason that Weir was picked is because him and Immelman played relatively well in the last Cup together.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    I am a Mike Weir fan, but he should not have been picked for the International Team. He's been playing very poorly and has a persistent injury. By contrast, Ames - the forgotten Canadian (and a resident Canadian by choice) has been playing circles around him He should have been Gary's choice.
    ABSOLUTELY CORRECT - couldnt have said it better myself. Wrong choice but he was the only one that was 100% Eh?
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    This isn't exactly true. Ames' stats are marginally better then Weir's but he certainly hasn't been playing circles around him. Ames hasn't had a great year either. The fact that Weir has more experience, and has played well in the President's cup gave him the nod over Ames imo.

I will say that I would have picked Romero over them both, as well as he has played this year, I am very surprised he didn't make the team. In July he finished 3rd in the British Open, then won the Deutsche Bank in Europe the next week, then came back and finished 6th in the WGC.

Let's face it, it would be pretty strange cheering for the Int'l team if there were no Canucks on it. I'm glad Weirsy is on the team and I doubt there will be any backlash from his teammates

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    I can't really cheer for Ames as a "Canadian". Mike is much more of a draw in Canada, and I for one, am happy he made it. His game has been coming round and he is striking the ball much better than last year. Besides, Ames' teeth scare me a little (or remind me of Mr. Ed)

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I am glad he picked Mike. I will cerainly be among the throng that follows him on Sunday! It will be a zoo!
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic View Post
    I can't really cheer for Ames as a "Canadian".
    I know this argument gets hashed and rehashed, but as the son of immigrants, I find it really hard to buy into this. If anything, I would say Ames is more Canadian than Weir. He chose to come here and he also lives here, not in Utah. Weir is Canadian in my books too, but I hate to make the distinction that where someone is born makes them more of a citizen than someone who gained their citizenship later in life.

Besides, Ames' teeth scare me a little (or remind me of Mr. Ed)
    Now, that's an argument I get. Or to make it a bit scarier, they remind me of Silken Laumann!

I sympathize with you, having myself made the choice years ago to become a Canadian citizen. The only point of difference between us may be that I see both Weir and Ames as Canadians. That said, Stephen actually lives here, and Mike now calls Utah home.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    I know this argument gets hashed and rehashed, but as the son of immigrants, I find it really hard to buy into this. If anything, I would say Ames is more Canadian than Weir. He chose to come here and he also lives here, not in Utah. Weir is Canadian in my books too, but I hate to make the distinction that where someone is born makes them more of a citizen than someone who gained their citizenship later in life.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Horrendous pick. Weir hasn't done anything since he won the Masters. He plays mediocre golf at best. Ames, on the other hand, has a win at the TPC last year, and is a consistent contender. If you don't want to pick Ames, fine....there are lots of good picks out there. But to put Weir in, simply to get a Canadian face on the team, is completely foolish.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shtick View Post

Maybe Mike has not done a lot lately but his agent sure did. Why do you think the event is being held in Canada? Surely not because the former Liberal Government pulled some strings with the PGA and Finchem?

Mike's agent had a lot to do with this event being held in Canada this time around.

Now I don't totally agree with Mike as a pick either. His play of late does not warrant being picked.

However, money talks and let's face the facts here. Mike will be a huge benefit to the PGA because he will draw fans to the event. He will help sell merchandise etc.

It's not always about the golf, sometimes it is also about the cash!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Quote Originally Posted by atomic View Post
    Besides, Ames' teeth scare me a little (or remind me of Mr. Ed)

Hybrid harbacostal is on a distinguished road
    Weir has played lights out in these events in the past. Here's hoping he can do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Horrendous pick. Weir hasn't done anything since he won the Masters. He plays mediocre golf at best. Ames, on the other hand, has a win at the TPC last year, and is a consistent contender. If you don't want to pick Ames, fine....there are lots of good picks out there. But to put Weir in, simply to get a Canadian face on the team, is completely foolish.
    Again, this is simply not true. Ames has 1 top ten in his last 12 events. How is that a consistent contender? His results this year are only slightly better than Weir's. I think everyone's thinking is being clouded by the fact that Ames was in the final group with Tiger on Sunday. He really hasn't played all that well this year.

Weir has played very well in the PC in the past. Ames can't say the same.

Player really had to take one of the two. Without a Canadian, I am not even sure the crowd would be pulling heavily for the international squad. It would probably end up being more of an exhibition in their Eyes. With Weirsy there, the international team as a whole will generate alot more crowd support IMO.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    The fact that Player picked either one, the fact that Player and Nicklaus are still the team captains for the millionth time, the fact that Player renegged on his promise to build the best team possible, and the fact that there's still no third tournament featuring an International team against a European team, shows that this event is just another PGA Tour sham, and further proves that the Presidents Cup is a very faint shadow of the Ryder Cup.

If I were a player on the International side, I would be embarassed and angry that Player caved. Likewise, players on the US side should be ashamed for putting on such a farce. If you want it to be a true "friendly exhibition" of golf, then market it as such. Stop trying to sell it as a serious competition, because it's not.

I am very happy that golf-starved Canadian fans will get to see world class golfers perform on our soil, but let's not kid ourselves. The PGA Tour has intentionally dropped the ball on this "tournament". It could have been so much more meaningful.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Thread Information