CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "club length"

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Question "club length"

Last one today, I promise. I quickly scanned my Rule Book, which I found after I posted the last two questions, and could not find a definition of "club length" as mentioned in serveral rules, such as Rule 28 Ball Unplayable (c) drop a ball within "two club lengths" of the spot...

I have heard reference to the "club length" issue on various golf broadcasts. Some have said that it proper to use a club that best fits the shot to be made i.e. a 7-iron if you are chipping out of trouble, however others say that since there is no "rule" per se regarding which club you use, you may use any club, up to and including your driver, even though it may not be the appropriate club for the shot.

Comments/advice?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    When measuring for drops you can use any club in your bag irrespective of what club you are planning to use for the shot.

When determining whether or not you get relief you are supposed to use the club that you will be playing your shot with.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Just to add a bit to jv's post.
    To determine if you get relief for your swing and determining your nearest point of relief you should use the club you would have used had the interference not been there. Once having got the npr (or other reference point for eg unplayable or relief from a lateral water hazard) you may use any club to measure the 1 or 2 clublengths in which to drop. You use the same club to measure any roll outside the arc.

Par Kiwi battler is on a distinguished road
    To add a little more to AAA's post

You MUST use the club youd use to play the stroke to determine if you do or dont get relief ....... you SHOULD but not MUST use the same club to find NPR

I can't find those words

You wont , I made them up lol

seriously tho , what I mean is , you cant say youd use your driver to chip over the bunker that 20yards away "half way to the green" ....when a wedge would be the club youd use , except the stance for the driver chip would see you getting relief from standing on a path , relief might see the bunker removed from the equation

You know what i mean , its just how you worded your post could be misread by anyone starting out in the game

Question Drop vs Relief

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    When measuring for drops you can use any club in your bag irrespective of what club you are planning to use for the shot.

When determining whether or not you get relief you are supposed to use the club that you will be playing your shot with.
    Thanks for the clarification on the club length issue, but now I am a little confused as to when it is a "drop" situation and you may use any club, and a "relief" situation when you'd normally use the proper club to make your next shot.

Am I correct in believing the "drop" is when there is a penalty situation such as Ball Unplayable or Ball in Water Hazard and the "relief" is for the cart path or free relief from staked trees or other items in the local / club rule?

If you are determining relief, whether fee or penalty, from any interference you should use the club you would have played the stroke if the interference was not there. Be it path, staked tree or gur etc.
    If you are dropping following that procedure or for anything else where you need to 'measure', you may use any club.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I am a little confused as to when it is a "drop" situation and you may use any club, and a "relief" situation when you'd normally use the proper club to make your next shot.
    There are several reasons for taking a "drop". I'll just use a couple of simple ones as an examples for where the different use of clubs applies.

1. Ball in a lateral hazard. The procedure is as follows:
    a. Determine where ball crossed the hazard
    b. Measure two club lengths from that point, not nearer the hole, using any club. (I'm assuming here that you are using this option for the lateral hazard since there are other options.)
    c. Drop ball within the two club lengths.

2. Ball on cart path (immovable obstruction) which you are taking relief from.
    a. Determine nearest point of relief. For this you need to use the club that you would normally use for your next shot to determine that point. Once determined you mark that spot.
    b. Measure one club length from the spot you just marked, not nearer the hole, and mark that.
    c. Drop within the two marked spots. You can now play your next stroke with any club you choose.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Clear? Crystal! Thanks.

Not chrystal clear , the next shot can be played with ANY club , after relief is taken .......so it might be clearer to say "measure using the club youd use for the shot youd play if the path wasnt there" .......but in saying that

You SHOULD use the club blah blah , not MUST

To explain that further , you could quite possibly drop your ball withen the correct area even measuring with a wrong club therefore avoiding penalty
    But , could just as likely drop in the wrong area , and face penalty or even in rare circumstance , DQ ...

So its advisable that you SHOULD use the right club

Thread Information