100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge Snoopy is on a distinguished road

Question should I use a 7 wood?

I've just recently discovered the joys of hitting fairway woods. I can hit my 5 wood about 200-210.
    My 3 iron goes about 190 yards if I hit it right. That's a big "if".
    I guess a 7 wood would be a logical replacement for my 3 iron? Do you guys use one and if so, do they replace your 3 iron and/or 4 iron? How come tour guys don't carry them? Okay, I know Vijay and probably a few others do, but generally why do they hit 3 irons and 2 irons if 7 woods are supposedly easier to hit? Is it for the control? My 5 wood does tend to go very high..maybe a 7 wood would go too high? Any thoughts, opinions, experiences welcome. Thanks.
    :roller

Competitor challengegolf is on a distinguished road challengegolf's Avatar
    I just bought a 7 Wood a couple weeks ago and would never look back, I should have done that a while ago. I bought the Tight Lies 7 wood and they are so easy to hit. I hit mine 175-185 depending on the wind as it shoots out straight and high. I never use my 3-4 irons as my tight lies 5-7 woods are so easy to hit.
    Hope it helps

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar

Thumbs up 7 wood

I've used a 7-wood for years instead of a 3-iron - it is one of my favourite clubs. Lately I've been trying out the new Adams IDEA hybrid club and have been liking it, so it may replace my 7-wood in the near future.

A 7-wood does have a very high trajectory, so your distance will really drop off when hitting into a strong wind. But when it is not windy, you will have a much better chance holding greens on a long approach shot with a 7-wood over a 3-iron. Plus, on courses with a lot of trees you often need a long, high shot.

I've always hit fairway woods better than irons, so I find the 7-wood much easier to make consistant contact than a 3-iron. I know other golfers who are much better hitting irons and rarely take a wood out of the bag except to tee off (if at all). Everybody's different.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Snoop, here's another hearty vote for 7-woods. Actually two, since it's my wife's favorite club too!!

No-one mentioned straightness, but I/we find it's totally effortless; high, straight & landing soft.

My 5-wood is the same as yours but I've fine-tuned my Orlimar 7-wood to 165 with an effortless swing & 190 with a smooth swing. I've never actually tried to really hit it full out.
    This season I've left my 3-4 & 5 irons in the basement.
    Lots of room for 4 wedges!!

It came from a Bargain-Bin in Myrtle Beach 4 years ago. Best $35 I ever spent.

Hope it works as well for you................

Curious George
    I like the 7 wood, but I'm more accurate with my 3 iron: I get towards target more often with my irons than my woods...

Lob Wedge Snoopy is on a distinguished road

Question so the difference is accuracy?

I see most everyone thinks a 7 wood is a good alternative. But is the reason why a golfer would use a 3 iron instead of a 7 wood for reasons of accuracy, as is the case with Curious George?
    :roller

Competitor challengegolf is on a distinguished road challengegolf's Avatar
    I don't feel like I am missing accuracy with my 7 wood. I tend to hit it really high and on target which gives me a hard landing on the green with not much rolls to take me outside the green. I know for myself that I cannot stop a 3 iron on the green and usually get it to roll outside the green so for me ( I can only talk for myself) a 7 wood is good until I am a better golfer.

3 Wood Rough Stuff is on a distinguished road
    I can hit my 3 iron more accurately than any of my woods, and I don't need as good a lie. I like tight lies-woods, and I have a 3 wood.)

Sand Wedge lefty dave is on a distinguished road
    I too prefer a 7 wood to a 3 or 4 iron. The only time I use my 3 iron is to punch back out onto the fairway if I'm in the rough and don't have a good shot towards the green, poor lie etc. My favorite club has to be my 5 wood that I use regularily.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    I prefer my 7+ wood to my 3-iron beacuse I can hit it easier. I can fly it about 210 or choke down on it and fly it just under 200. One draw back is it tends to fly high so it can be a problem in the wind. It is also way better out of the rough than the 3-iron.

Gap Wedge Nic is on a distinguished road
    What degree is a 7 wood? I have a 18* Orlimar graphite shaft and I hit it about 180 yds, however, I have a 19* clone and hit it exactly 150, yards. I am a little confused by lie numbers i.e 5, 7 woods or 16*, 18* so on. Can anyone help?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

degrees of loft

23 = 7 wood
    19 = 5 wood
    15 = 3 wood

Unhappy Confused about fairway wood lofts

There are no standards, although Dan's numbers are about as close as you can get. This article goes into a little more detail:

http://www.golfclubreview.com/wood_designations.htm
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Dan,

What's a nine wood
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Nine wood

Colby:

A nine wood is about 28*. The chart included in my earlier link explains all.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar

Re: Nine wood

Originally posted by el tigre
    Colby:

A nine wood is about 28*. The chart included in my earlier link explains all.
    I was being cheeky! hahaha
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Hybrid Chris is on a distinguished road Chris's Avatar
    Like other's here my 3 iron is in the closet and I have replaced it with a 7 wood. No regrets!!

Thread Information