100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steel Driver

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar

Steel Driver

Anyone still using a steel driver? As you can see from other threads I currently hit a 3 wood off the tee, and am selling a graphite driver too. I have 3, a RAM, a Knight and a Mizuno none of which I can hit. I was thinking of going to steel s it may be easier for me to hit. Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks,
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Well, I think you might be in the wrong forum, but I'll bite, even though I am right-handed .
    I am currently hitting a Taylor Made 510TP, 9.5* with a DGS300 shaft. It is 43.5" long and comes in at D5 swingweight due mostly to the heavier weight of the TP head.
    I do find this combo to be straighter than graphite, at least for me. Also I have lost zero distance compared to graphite, which came as a bit of a surprise.
    One warning however... you will in most cases hit the ball significantly lower with a steel shaft in the same lofted driver head than you would with a graphite shaft, at least from my experience. I would recommend a degree or two more loft than what you normally use, unless you like to hit fairly low, long running screamers.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    Well, I think you might be in the wrong forum, but I'll bite, even though I am right-handed .
    I am currently hitting a Taylor Made 510TP, 9.5* with a DGS300 shaft. It is 43.5" long and comes in at D5 swingweight due mostly to the heavier weight of the TP head.
    I do find this combo to be straighter than graphite, at least for me. Also I have lost zero distance compared to graphite, which came as a bit of a surprise.
    One warning however... you will in most cases hit the ball significantly lower with a steel shaft in the same lofted driver head than you would with a graphite shaft, at least from my experience. I would recommend a degree or two more loft than what you normally use, unless you like to hit fairly low, long running screamers.
    The added overall weight,the stiffer tip section and very low torque of your DGS300 are all contributors to your lower ball flight. There are many other choices in steel shafts available that would counter this effect. The T.T TX90 is an excellent alternative to graphite.

Just out of curiousity, was your DGS300 tipped accordingly ? The reason I ask is because most T.T products require the Bottom Of Bore to Heel distance to be tipped because T.T wood shafts are designed to be installed as a through bore. I recently pulled, what was supposed to be a DGS300 from an TM R5 DUAL 9.5* The guy told me he could not hit it. The shaft was untipped, it was 45" long! swingweithed at D9 !. Tore the grip of , and the etching said DGR300 ! Nice reshafting job ( ) done by one of the local retailers !!

This guy is now using a DGX100, tipped, I recall, 1 3/4", D3 at 43.5". He loves it.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    English please???

So what are we saying here?
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    The added overall weight,the stiffer tip section and very low torque of your DGS300 are all contributors to your lower ball flight. There are many other choices in steel shafts available that would counter this effect. The T.T TX90 is an excellent alternative to graphite.

Just out of curiousity, was your DGS300 tipped accordingly ? The reason I ask is because most T.T products require the Bottom Of Bore to Heel distance to be tipped because T.T wood shafts are designed to be installed as a through bore. I recently pulled, what was supposed to be a DGS300 from an TM R5 DUAL 9.5* The guy told me he could not hit it. The shaft was untipped, it was 45" long! swingweithed at D9 !. Tore the grip of , and the etching said DGR300 ! Nice reshafting job ( ) done by one of the local retailers !!

This guy is now using a DGX100, tipped, I recall, 1 3/4", D3 at 43.5". He loves it.

I put the club together myself. I have a pretty good idea of how to tip it . I've used DGS300 in a number of driver heads, including bore thrus. There is no doubt it hits the ball lower than just about any graphite shaft. Have also tried the TX 90 and yes it did have a higher ballflight that the DGS. Hated the TX 90 in a driver though for some reason.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    English please???

So what are we saying here?
    I wanted to point out that that Mr. Apex's choice of steel shaft would have the affects that he described, and that not all steel shafts are equal when it comes to there particular design. There are plenty of quality steel wood shafts out there. The trick is to find the one that appeals to you and your swing.

Thread Information