100 Holes of Hope

View Poll Results: Should a Marshall help you find your ball?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 42.55%
  • No

27 57.45%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    as a courtesy, it is nice if they help find your ball but I don't expect it. I had a marshall recently help me look for my ball after letting us know we were falling behind. It helps with the pace of play and ultimately, that is why they are out there.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I know some Marshall's that drive around and look for lost balls, on empty holes Those dudes never buy golf balls

Personally, if a ranger happens to see where my ball ended up if it was in trouble and he told me where to look then great. But I would not expect him to get off his cart and come help me find it. I have seen them do it at my home course, which is nice to see. But again I do not expect them to get off that cart and help. Now my playing partners, I would expect them to help and they do. I do the same for them.

If you need a spotter to help you find your ball then practice hard, get your tour card and join the PGA. They have plenty of spotters at Tour events.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    I am surprised at the number who said no. I would say definitely, especially if they were witness to it's disappearance. Not only will this help pace of play, one of their main jobs, but they can also be there to gently prod you "get over loosing your Ultra" and to move on, improving pace of play even more. Just a thought...

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    I will vote 'no' after writing this. Why? Because a marshall has better things to do than look for lost balls. When a marshall does help you find your ProV, that's great! It's not his duty to do so though.

Sometimes, we all complain about the pace of play at a course. If the round is REALLY slow and marshalls are looking for your golf balls and the group behind you is my foursome, I'd be a little upset. I'd say something to the marshall and that would just not make everyone's day enjoyable.

My point is that course marshalls do a great job when they have the right training. The main goal is the pace, but once that is done, then they can go the extra yard and socialize with the players.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shtick View Post
    My point is that course marshalls do a great job when they have the right training. The main goal is the pace, but once that is done, then they can go the extra yard and socialize with the players.
    How is leaving you to find your own ball helping pace of play? How is telling you "get over it it's gone" not improving pace of play. Helping you find your ball is the perfect opportunity for a tactful marshall to suggest that maybe you are taking too much time looking for balls and that you should move on and keep up to those in front of you.

I'm not saying that it is their job, however in certain circumstances it will help them fulfill their responsibility of keeping pace of play to an acceptable level. If it was their job, places like SB would need 2 marshalls per hole! They'd go broke for all the free green fees the marshalls use up!!!!

Their job is to help speed up the pace of play when its slow. It's up to the player to play a provisional, right?

When you have players on the course who know the rules, all is well. I agree with you on all the other points.

I will say, however, that every marshall should know the "Rules of Golf". This should be part of their training....

Quote Originally Posted by The Shtick View Post
    Their job is to help speed up the pace of play when its slow. It's up to the player to play a provisional, right?

When you have players on the course who know the rules, all is well. I agree with you on all the other points.

I will say, however, that every marshall should know the "Rules of Golf". This should be part of their training....
    Thanks I needed a laugh!!!!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Ok, so "golf in heaven" has marshalls on every hole who fix pitch marks on the greens, rake bunkers, give yardages, place a little flags by the ball when it's in the rough, help hunting for balls in the woods or fescue, and have RCGA rules certification.

Sounds like the PGA Tour!

"That's not yer job... That's Sean's job"
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    The questions is, if they DO watch your ball flight, and they DO have an idea where it went, should they help. I just can't see what the logic is behind them not helping. I do not think it would in any way hinder their ability to do their job (and if it would, I would like to know how). I just can't see any downside to helping a guy find his ball. 30 seconds is all it takes to get out, go to the spot you think it went, and then get back into your cart. They don't have to search the fescue for 5 minutes, but they should at least have a quick look where they thought it went.

no comment...

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    Thanks Jonf once again! Couldn't agree more.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    The questions is, if they DO watch your ball flight, and they DO have an idea where it went, should they help. I just can't see what the logic is behind them not helping. I do not think it would in any way hinder their ability to do their job (and if it would, I would like to know how). I just can't see any downside to helping a guy find his ball. 30 seconds is all it takes to get out, go to the spot you think it went, and then get back into your cart. They don't have to search the fescue for 5 minutes, but they should at least have a quick look where they thought it went.
    Yes.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    A marshall is there to make sure that local rules are being enforced .. that means liquor laws, behaviour, pace of play. Unfortunatley, most marshalls avoid confrontations, and this means that they spend most of their time circulating and showing that they are there, but rarely attempting to enforce any rules.

even when a marshall isn't shy to tell people they are too slow, a marshall will rarely be able to unclog a bottle neck by telling the people in the bottle neck to 'speed up'.

an easy way to speed up play, and avoid confrontations (it's really a waste of time trying to force marshalls to be more assertive ...) is to help players whenever possible. That includes helping them look for balls, letting them know when they are ok to hit (i.e. mention that the group ahead is out of range, or that the blind shot is now safe etc etc). Most of the marshalls i see on the course are just circulating , never getting out of their carts, never talking to anyone, we may as well put them to work doing something positive.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    in response to jonf's post.

100% yes, but in addition, they should be going out of their way to watch your ball flight. most marshalls get caught in the middle of a hole or @ the green waiting for a group to hit before proceeding. Here's a thought, they're hitting towards you, get out of your cart and watch them hit ... who knows maybe you'll save them 5 minutes when you see where their ball went.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Hybrid harbacostal is on a distinguished road
    It's customer service. That's a good thing. They don't have to but I have found a couple of balls that I never would have found if it wasn't for a marshall sitting somewhere near where it went into the crap...

7 Wood gumby is on a distinguished road

lost balls

when i worked as a marshall, i would help locate lost balls if i happened to see where it
    went as this helped the golfer and helped me,,they were moving again and the people behind were not waiting...i also carried so used balls with me and if i happend to see people who were looking for a ball for a while i would drive up and give them a ball and ask that they go ahead and play it ..pace of play thing..
    and yes i knew some guys who would drive around looking at empty holes for lost balls
    instead of doing what they were supposed to....

Thread Information