CorporateGolfXtra 2024

View Poll Results: Should a Marshall help you find your ball?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 42.55%
  • No

27 57.45%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar

Marshalls...What are they for?

Not to get into my day today but how many people think a marshall's job is to help players? If a marshall sees a ball bounce off a drainage grate and into the fescue while 20 yards away from the ball should he/she not get out of their cart and help locate the ball?
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    yes. Their job is to speed up the pace of play. If they know where the ball went, the only way they can claim to be doing their job is if they help to locate it. That way, everybody wins.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I agree, they should help. I've seen plenty of marshalls do this if they were close to the ball.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    I agree, they should help. I've seen plenty of marshalls do this if they were close to the ball.
    I agree but only if they were close and saw it go into the location, not if the come by after the fact. That is not their job.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    In most cases we always get some help at our course. Speeds things up

Shagging Balls DIbit is on a distinguished road DIbit's Avatar
    Stonebridge is great for that, the marshall help.
    Then again at the Stone, they would have to do it a lot!
    Bite, Bite!

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    I agree but only if they were close and saw it go into the location, not if the come by after the fact. That is not their job.
    Why not offer an extra set of eyes to help speed up pace of play? Even if they come by after the fact....where are they going?
    PinShark

Golf Nut Bullet is on a distinguished road Bullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigershot View Post
    Stonebridge is great for that, the marshall help.
    Then again at the Stone, they would have to do it a lot!
    I can 2nd that. Played it only once. My buddy must have lost 6 balls on the front 9. Most we seen exactly where the landed yet couldn't find it in the long stuff. He was cursing the course LOL. Can't beleive that if I hit it 5 yards off the fairway I can't find my ball! LOL

I had just bought 2dozen used PROV's off Mcgoo just before the round so i did slip him a few LOL.

As for the topic, if the Marshall herd or seen it fall and knows that your going to be looking for it. He should help find it. If he comes after the fact then not his responsability
    Bad days golf, better then a good days work!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    I can 2nd that. Played it only once. My buddy must have lost 6 balls on the front 9. Most we seen exactly where the landed yet couldn't find it in the long stuff. He was cursing the course LOL. Can't beleive that if I hit it 5 yards off the fairway I can't find my ball! LOL

I had just bought 2dozen used PROV's off Mcgoo just before the round so i did slip him a few LOL.

As for the topic, if the Marshall herd or seen it fall and knows that your going to be looking for it. He should help find it. If he comes after the fact then not his responsability
    Why not?
    PinShark

Golf Nut pvs1313 is on a distinguished road pvs1313's Avatar
    NO NO NO

it is not even close to their responsibility to help find you rball. if they see it, they cetainlt should tell you "hey i saw it over there" but theior jobis to keep pace of play, ensure the players are not being bothersome, and generally just kepp up the course foir hte day. if you launch your bsll inbto fescue, watch it and go find it, 5 minutes max, then drop and take your penalty

1 Iron Tanglegrip is on a distinguished road Tanglegrip's Avatar
    While I appreciate any help giving its not the marshall's job to look for your ball, its the player's responsibility to keep track of their shot.

The marshall is there to ensure the players' safety (that the group behind is not hitting into your group, and that you are not hitting into the group in front), ensure pace of play, and ensure that the course is not damaged. Marshalls are also there to alert management to any player needing assistance on the course.

Anything else is a bonus. Let's face it friendly marshalls that help you locate your ball go a long ways to making your round more pleasant. Kudos to them, but I don't think that its part of their job description.

Well, you folks say it is not their job, but then go out and say that their job is to ensure pace of play. To me, it seems that the two go hand in hand. If he is there and has a good idea where the ball is, helping to look ensures that the pace of play is maintained. If not, he is only contributing to slow play by extending that group's search.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I would not expect a marshal to do more than point if he saw it land. Just like anyone else who is not im my group. That would be above and beyond the call of duty. It has happened, and is appreciated, but nothing to fault a marshal for if he doesn't help.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Golf Nut Bullet is on a distinguished road Bullet's Avatar
    Exactly, if a Marshal is expected to find your ball with you, he isn't going to have time to cover the entire course to assure that everyone is playing at the right pace.

On many occasions they have told me or another player from my group the general direction of where a ball can be located and that's part of helping keep up the pace. Simply commen scence.
    Bad days golf, better then a good days work!

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Last time at Emerald Links a marshall helped me to find my ball, I appreciated it but definately didn't feel it was his job to do that. I don't expect him to swing the club for me either, even though it would probably speed up play. It would be courtesy for them to help if they saw where it went though.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    If the poll said "could" I would say yes but since it says "should" I have to vote definitly not. If he points to where your ball went or told you it's by such and such tree good for him, he or she is a nice marshall and just trying to be helpful. but should they be forced to actually get out of their cart and help you look......I think not.

I am very surprised by the results of this poll so far. Most agree that the main duties of a marshall include helping pace of play...how do they help pace of play exactly? by telling a group to hurry up? I have had many marshalls help look for balls and thought it was great and thanked them accordingly. I have even had a marshall go and get our group some bottles of water on a hot day where there was no beer cart (this is above and beyond) but for a Marshall to sit in his cart watching 2 people look for a ball that he saw land from 20 yards away is absurd. If he did indeed have to be moving along to ensure someone behind us wasn't damaging the course why didn't he leave? He certainly wasn't doing anything by watching us look for a ball.
    PinShark

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I'm with you 100% Pinshark.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinshark View Post
    but for a Marshall to sit in his cart watching 2 people look for a ball that he saw land from 20 yards away is absurd.
    I don't think that scenario is being discussed here.

Ok so I just re-read the first post.

I really don't think it's the job of a marshal to help look for balls, but it certainly is appreciated!
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

how do they enforce pace of pplay?

easy, they tell you to hurry up, speed uip, if you are still laGGING, THEDN THEY TELL YOU TO PICK UP, THAT IS THEIR DUTY THERE, NOT TO LOOK FOR YOU RBNALLS, THAT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY,

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by pvs1313 View Post

easy, they tell you to hurry up, speed uip, if you are still laGGING, THEDN THEY TELL YOU TO PICK UP, THAT IS THEIR DUTY THERE, NOT TO LOOK FOR YOU RBNALLS, THAT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY,
    No need to shout.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

hit the caps lock in error,

my bad

It's definitely not the marshall's "job" but why the heck wouldn't they help out if they could? They are there to speed up play, aid players and such. Helping to look for a ball isn't a difficult thing to do and in the end will speed up the round.

Quote Originally Posted by pvs1313 View Post

I asked how they HELPED pace of play not how to enforce it. Them buggin you is not going to help.
    PinShark

It is just stupid for a marshall, whose job is to ensure a good pace of play, not to help a player find their ball when they have a good idea where it is. Personally, if I was running a golf course and saw one of my marshalls do that, they would not be a marshall any longer. It's just dumb.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Jon, I agree if the Marshal saw it land that he should help you, but there are two choices and the way I read it, it is asking is it a Marshals job to help you look for your ball and in my opinion, no it is not his job but yes, it would be nice if he/she helped out if he/she saw where it landed
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

well, irf i ran a course i want my marshalls doing what hey are supposed to do, marshall the course, not be a spoitter for players who have no idea where tey went.

if yo lose your ball, and you are worried about pace of play, hey don;t takew 10+ minutes looking for it, time yourself, 5 mins and take a drop

PVS your arguments don't make any sense!! The marshall is there to help pace of play, he's just saying that if one is close by and sees where your ball goes in that he can lend a helping hand!!! Marshall's should also be Course Assistants when the time calls.

Thank you John. I am not trying to say that they should help all golfers who lose a ball. But if they have a good idea where it is, they should help. Let's face it, most marshalls are NOT busy out on the course. They drive around, and occasionally ask a group to speed up. I think they have a minute or two to spare from time to time to help with a search for a ball.

the question was should they help you, answer , no.

even if they see it go in, sure they can "tell you" where it went, but to get out of their cart nad look for it, no way, and i don't think you will find any course owner or direector who wants them to do this.

and to say they are not busy, well then they are not good marshalls. a good mareshall will ALWAYS be busy on the course.

I hqave never expected a marshall to look at my ball flight even. you guys are assuming they even watch your ball flight? why would they do this not their responsibilty at all

anyway that is what i think, and i am pretty sure most managers of coureses are in the same boat.

thanks

Thread Information