CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Canadian

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar

The Canadian

My attention has now turned to The Canadian for a home course next year. I've heard ots of good things about it,. have to get out there and play it sometime this summer. I was starting to settle on EL, but the restricted membership at Canadian looks like a good deal. Any Canadian members out there?

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I would highly recommend it. I was there as a junior member and was treated very well....which is not always the case when you're at the lowest rung on the ladder. I think the course is underrated, too. It is always in good shape, and has a lot of interesting holes. One word of warning: The power fade (see slice) will get you into a lot of trouble. There are quite a few doglegs to the left, so you really have to learn to hit it straight (or be prepared for lots of long irons and fairway woods into greens)

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    My wife and I are second year members and we cant say enough about the place.Starting in the pro shop Dale,Barbara,Steve and Mitch are top notch.They are the reason why we joined this year.Add an over abbundance of very friendly marshalls and a course wich is in better than average condition,27 holes to boot.Mark Seabrook the owner takes pride and it shows.How many owners do you see planting flowers and shrubs and coming out on the course to see the people play and that says it all.We live in Gatineau and travel 50 kilos(45 min.)to play this course and as far as price and quality,there is nothing that compares to it on this side of the river.We would have to join Les Hautes Plaines for better conditions.Only drawback is that they have lots of tournaments but we can play 18 holes all the time when we play early in the a.m.It gets our vote hands down.If you want ot come out and play a round we will be more than happy to introduce you to the staff.We feel like we are part of a big familly.
    Last edited by Marcos; 08-05-2007 at 02:45 PM. Reason: forgot other items

It's looking more and more like it's a shoe in. The more I thougth about it today the more I liked the idea, and reading these reviews just solidifes things. Next year is a ways off but I"m really starting to look forward to a different home course, and the Canadian is looking good.

Thanks guys,

Marcos, maybe we'll get out there for a game this summer, that'd be great.thanks.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    I played Canadian last Wednesday for the first time ever and was very impressed. Thirty minutes in rush hour traffic from Orleans. Friendly staff, accommodating Marshalls and excellent conditions. All holes are a challenge and the fairways are as good as the greens on many courses. They do go the extra mile for their customers as they provided a large plastic storage bin full of ice and towels as you walked to the parking lot. I would expect this from a private course, not a public one. I would not say it was a negative, but the place was crawling with grounds keepers throughout our round. Good to see them taking such care of the place but a little un-nerving when your lining up a shot and you hear the maintenance guy winding up his 4wd buggy behind you. Small price to pay for such quality though, IMHO.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    All holes are a challenge and the fairways are as good as the greens on many courses.
    I usually play the Canadian a couple of times a year in charity tournaments.
    Decent course and yes very friendly people.

"All holes are a challenge".............??? I think thats stretching things a bit.
    "Fairways are as good as the greens on many courses".......???

Not sure what courses you usually play from those comments.............???
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

King Hawk Sphere Hunter is on a distinguished road Sphere Hunter's Avatar
    I learned to play golf at the Canadian. It's a great course to learn to manage your game and to develop skills for chipping and moving the ball both ways. Because the rating is very low due to the lack of length, having a low handicap at the Canadian means you can play well anywhere IMO. This is a great course to develop a golf game.

Ya, I'm used to bombing it at Champlain, and even though it's longer than most mid range courses, if I have a good day it's still wedge city. I'm lookig forawrd to something a little trickier and tighter, if somewhat shorter.

Looking at the scorecard, I think they'd do well to try and pull a couple holes a little longer so there is at least one or two measuring 440 from the tips/

Though it is short, many of the holes force you to use a fairway or a long iron from the tee, due simply to the shape of the holes. So there are definitely some short holes, they are not nearly as easy as the yardage indicates.

Good course for the person learning golf or junior golfers. Really very little trouble comes into play between the tee boxes and the greens. Only a couple of tricky holes.

My first year of golf was mainly lessons, KH practice range,and a number of rounds at the Canadian.

Started playing the Marshes the next year and HOLY COW..........what a "wake up" call that was..............Will not tell you what my scores ballooned up too or how many balls I was losing per round...............
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Well, obviously its not the Marshes. But nobody is comparing it to the Marshes. It is, however, one of the best value courses in the city. And I would also disagree with your statement that there is little trouble between the tees and the greens. Off the top of my head....2,3,8,13,14,15,17 all have water that is in play on either the first or second shot (or both). The trees are also fairly tight, and a number of fairways are very oddly shaped and well bunkered.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Well, obviously its not the Marshes. But nobody is comparing it to the Marshes. It is, however, one of the best value courses in the city. And I would also disagree with your statement that there is little trouble between the tees and the greens. Off the top of my head....2,3,8,13,14,15,17 all have water that is in play on either the first or second shot (or both). The trees are also fairly tight, and a number of fairways are very oddly shaped and well bunkered.
    Did I ever say anything about value...........no I don't think so...............

I have played the course many times, and unless you are having a "really off" day the water at the Canadian can be avoided quite easily...................
    I can not remember the last time I was in a fairway bunker at the Canadian........

Perhaps some of the people on this forum can post their average score they would shoot at the Canadian vs Eagle Creek, Stonebridge, Marshes.........

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    Did I ever say anything about value...........no I don't think so...............

I have played the course many times, and unless you are having a "really off" day the water at the Canadian can be avoided quite easily...................
    I can not remember the last time I was in a fairway bunker at the Canadian........

Perhaps some of the people on this forum can post their average score they would shoot at the Canadian vs Eagle Creek, Stonebridge, Marshes.........

Start another thread if you'd like to discuss that.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Lob Wedge juniorgolfer is on a distinguished road
    i was a junior member at canadian two years ago and can't say i have to say the same great things about the course. The course itself is great but i found the staff to be a little impatient with juniors or atleast with me and my friends. I found booking hard due to a great surplus in tournament activity. I can't count the number of times i went to book and heard "im sorry but theres a shotgun tournament today and the course will be closed". By the end of the year i also expected it. As for the course, i really enjoyed it and thought it was always well conditioned

King Hawk Sphere Hunter is on a distinguished road Sphere Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by juniorgolfer View Post
    i was a junior member at canadian two years ago and can't say i have to say the same great things about the course. The course itself is great but i found the staff to be a little impatient with juniors or atleast with me and my friends. I found booking hard due to a great surplus in tournament activity. I can't count the number of times i went to book and heard "im sorry but theres a shotgun tournament today and the course will be closed". By the end of the year i also expected it. As for the course, i really enjoyed it and thought it was always well conditioned
    Yes, that is the downside of the Canadian. They do host many, many tournaments. Like Marcos said, if you play early, it's not a big deal. If you like afternoon rounds, good luck!

Lob Wedge juniorgolfer is on a distinguished road
    Too bad for juniors like me we had to resort to afternoon rounds due to certain restrictions and due to less advanced booking

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Juniors get a special price too. $550 if you are 14 - 18. That is less than 1/3 of the adult price. There are restrictions but that is a VERY good price.
    Quote Originally Posted by juniorgolfer View Post
    Too bad for juniors like me we had to resort to afternoon rounds due to certain restrictions and due to less advanced booking
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you questioned the value...i was just throwing it in as an added bonus...should have separated my thoughts better.

Obviously your game is just at another level. There are a few fairway bunkers there that I'm fairly certain were put there with the explicit purpose of ruining my rounds. I do agree that it is not the toughest test of golf, but considering the yardage, I find it manages to pack in quite a bit of trouble. It can certainly be avoided, but it takes smart decision making, as there are many hoes where driver is not the best play.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Wink Golf Hoes...

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you questioned the value...i was just throwing it in as an added bonus...should have separated my thoughts better.

Obviously your game is just at another level. There are a few fairway bunkers there that I'm fairly certain were put there with the explicit purpose of ruining my rounds. I do agree that it is not the toughest test of golf, but considering the yardage, I find it manages to pack in quite a bit of trouble. It can certainly be avoided, but it takes smart decision making, as there are many hoes where driver is not the best play.
    "hoes"... is that a Freudian slip???

Gap Wedge The Doctor is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    "hoes"... is that a Freudian slip???

Jonf, I think the problem is you are not concentrating on your game enough when playing the Canadian...........
    Your mind is likely elsewhere.......http://www.scoregolf.com/contests/ca...e.cfm?cg=CG130

Don't blame you though, our team never plays well in the charity tournaments there for the same reason................

Well, not to hijack my own thread, cause I'm digging all this debating, but It's sounding more and ore like I'm going to like it there.

As far as it being short, there's 5 par 5s and one 4 over 400, so that's enough temptation to at least pull driver a few times.

I have to get out there and play it in the next couple weeks, but with an 18 and an extra 9 I don't think I can go wrong as a decent course to play some golf weekday evenings.

and there's some length on on the side 9...

Gap Wedge The Doctor is on a distinguished road
    Jonf, I think the problem is you are not concentrating on your game enough when playing the Canadian...........
    Your mind is likely elsewhere.......http://www.scoregolf.com/contests/ca...e.cfm?cg=CG130

Don't blame you though, our team never plays well in the charity tournaments there for the same reason................
    That girl goes to college with me ... nice find though

Oh ya, I forgot that extra nine. Not thrilling golf, but its really nice to have it during tournament season.

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    I was a restricted member at the Canadian for many years, and if you can play early it is a very good deal. I would play the 18 during the week, and the 9 on weekends. They also used to have a "if you pay now for next year you play the rest of this year free" every Aug. And they used to offer a discount if you paid for next years membership in the fall, not sure if they still have those.

Sand Wedge davo987 is on a distinguished road
    I am currently a junior member at the canadian and i can only say that i somewhat like it. the main problem is the speed of play. on weekends it usually takes 5 hours to play a round, no matter what time. during the week, most days you can't get on until about 6 because of tournaments, but it isn't bad at all since at that time you can get a round in around 3.5 hours. the course is in excellent condition and you have to play smart to avoid well placed obstacles. also a huge set back is that there is only a 24 hour advance booking time for juniors. this is extremely annoying since i usually golf with my dad and he books all of our rounds for the week at once, and has to use a phony name to be able to get a spot for me to play.

well I finally got out and played it tonight. Got there at 6:30 or so and played 18, well 17.

the pros
    love the fairways, greens teeboxes and bunkers
    nice closing holes
    half the course reminds me of sort of a 3/4 scale EC
    clubhouse looks nice
    have to hit a lot of tee shots straight to keep it in play
    it's not a long walk

cons
    they'd just sprayed the course, I could have picked a better first round
    a lot of small greens
    it's flat and short
    have to hit a lot of tee shots straight to keep it in play
    it's not a long walk

all in all it's a beautiful course and almost a shoe in simply to play in the evenings. I want to play there again when my experience won't be marked by the smell of greenskeeping chemicals.

It's woefully short. I played from the back tees and it felt like 5900 yards. And they need another green or two like the first, the flat bunkered small green angle is somewhat overdone.

Towards the end it get's kind of linksey which was cool, and then the last couple holes are great, good thing too, just in time.

MY biggest concern is if I'm going to walk off of there after a weekend round feeling like I played 18. I can't imagine spending 5 hours to get around there, the thought kind of frightens me.

It wasn't an easy round, that's for sure. I left 8 balls out there. But I can see how if you re carefull you could make a pretty low score there reletive to other courses.

IF it was 5 minutes closer I wouldn't even be thinking about it. I"m a little nervous because it looks like they are digging in with the contruction on the highway.

It's probably my next home course. I really liked the ground. Decent tee boxes, greens rolled smooth, nice soft fairways, I could get used to that.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    For the amount of tourneys they host which mostly comprise of hackers, the Canadian stays in really good shape. A big thumbs up the grounds crew on that one.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

and what's up with that scorecard??? I might as well have marked my scores on the back of a pack of cigarettes.

Thread Information