+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road

GT Launch Monitor

Ok, so I decided to ry a few new drivers at Golf Town. The prices are just too good... I wasn't looking to spend $500, but they have a bunch at $200 or less, including the Titleist 905R and the Mizuno MX 500.

I hit them both and preferred the Mizuno by a lot.

My question is... If you have used their launch monitors, how do you feel they represent your actual shots, distance, flight etc...

I was carrying around 245 to 250 yards on their machine with the Mizuno driver.

The launch angle was a bit low, mainly because the tee wasn't as high as I would like it to be...

Any input is greatly appreciated...

BTW, Mizuno driver is $200 and Titleist is $150 at Golf Town right now...

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Do you mean the simulators (back left area) or the Vector (inside the teaching area)?

Don't trust anything other than ball speed from the simulators. Even then only compare relative numbers between clubs.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Sorry, yes the simulators. Ball speed was anywhere from 148mph to 156 mph. I didn't pay much attention to total distance...

Pitching Wedge kofclubs is on a distinguished road
    I still prefer the old method of hitting the club on the range. Golftown actually has a demo program where you reserve the club online and they mail it to you and you try it for 5 days and mail it back to them (I think you may be able to drop it off) when your done. It's a great idea since you don't have the tape on it and you can actually play some rounds with the club.

That or Nevada Bobs in Orleans has a range at the store.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    The screen at Nevada Bob's around where I live gives me about 250 carry when I slam 165 mph balls into it, I've never hit a driver more than 270 something there, alhtough I hit a 6i 225 (acfording to the screen) when I was demoing some irons a bunch of years back.

Screens are useless, like has been said, look at ball speed, and maybe launch angle.

Driver overswing is on a distinguished road overswing's Avatar
    haha yeah i hit them 285-305 in those thing with ease. realistically im 270 off the tee total distance.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I agree, probably and extra 30+ yds at that demo monitor. I had the same driver that use regularly and was hitting it 30 yds further, what a surprise. I guess even if you know this it does appeal to the ego. The monitor is useful if you try different drivers at the same time as relatively speaking the numbers will show you which one you hit further.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    Not to mention the draw/fade is only 1/3 of what it actually would be on the course.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I agree with Lefty Lucas,the monitor is a good tool to compare equip.Not good for yardage, carry etc..

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Don't trust anything other than ball speed from the simulators.
    And isn't ball speed just this mathematical formula built into the software? If so, it can only approximate the weight of the head and the COR.

Ball Speed = [Head Speed X (1 + COR)] / [1 + (Weight Ball / Weight Head)]

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    And isn't ball speed just this mathematical formula built into the software?
    If it's like the Golf-o-Max simulators, which I believe it is, they actually measure the ball speed and angle using the two sensor "panes".

Everything else is calculated from those two values.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    I was gonna start a new thread but this one is recent enough.

If I just wanted to go and get my driver assessed on a launch monitor (vector?), where would be the best place to go. I don't want lessons or a full fitting because I'm happy with my irons, but I have feeling that my driver isn't performing as well as it should. I'd just like to see the numbers (launch angle, spin, club head speed, ball speed) and see if there is anything there that is way off the optimal numbers.

I think I've got my swing locked in for the rest of the season, so this should help me until next year when I forget what my swing was like.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

IIRC a session on the Vector at Golftown is $50.

Kevin Haime's also has one. Not sure of the price.

And last but not least, I think Don at Artisan has a Zelocity.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Thanks JV. Maybe I'll give the other two a call to see what I'd be looking at cost wise.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

No sweat.

I forgot to mention that if you wait a couple of weeks my Stargate Super Slo-Mo camera can be modded to be a launch monitor.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    IIRC a session on the Vector at Golftown is $50.
    Does this include a couple swing viedeos as well?

Not when I had my session.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    I agree, probably and extra 30+ yds at that demo monitor. I had the same driver that use regularly and was hitting it 30 yds further, what a surprise. I guess even if you know this it does appeal to the ego. The monitor is useful if you try different drivers at the same time as relatively speaking the numbers will show you which one you hit further.
    What a novel idea to help sell clubs. Then the buyer gets to the course and hits it 30 yards less and offline than he did in the store!

I prefer the old fashion method. Outside on the range. I can see the ball flight. I can hit into wind to see the ball flight. I can also use the Titleist Launch Monitor outdoors to check ball speed, launch angle etc.

Best of both worlds.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Golf Nut Bullet is on a distinguished road Bullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    What a novel idea to help sell clubs. Then the buyer gets to the course and hits it 30 yards less and offline than he did in the store!

I prefer the old fashion method. Outside on the range. I can see the ball flight. I can hit into wind to see the ball flight. I can also use the Titleist Launch Monitor outdoors to check ball speed, launch angle etc.

Best of both worlds.

Yes it is marketing tool for sure. But most golfers should be able to tell just by the feel of hitting the ball if the club is better, longer then what they already play. I hit my Burner for the first time in near dark conditiopns, cause the range was closing and the lights were off and I could tell I was hitting it long. Nxt time at the range I seen the results and when I played my ONLY 2 rounds with it I realised that this was my Driver for the next few seasons....unless.... LOL
    Bad days golf, better then a good days work!

Thread Information