CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Gap Wedge The Doctor is on a distinguished road

Figuring out the break on a putt...

Hey guys I had a miserable time putting last weekend as I couldn't figure out the break on the putt and so had some issues finding the right line...it was especially frustrating because I hit most of the par 3 greens in one ...anyways I'd like to hear a bit on how most of you line up your putts and if you have any useful tips or links to some useful information on the 'net?

Thanks guys

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Dave Pelz...nuff said.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    Dave Pelz...nuff said.
    What Garth is referring to is the a couple books (short game bible and putting bible) by Dave Pelz. He is a renouned short game guru who coaches alot of the pros. The read is some what dry as it is written by Pelz whom I think was an aerospace engineer.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    reading the break is one thing, lining it up is another. Most people underread the break and miss on the low side. Reading break comes from experience mostly and is tough to teach. Speed will greatly influence the break as well and is actually more important than the line.

As for lining up, this is mostly practice. Use a shaft to make sure your feet are aligned. One thing I do that is "free" is to use the line/logo on your ball and line that up with where you want to hit the putt after you have read the break. Aligning your body becomes infinitely easier as you line your body up to this and square your putter accordingly.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    reading the break is one thing, lining it up is another. Most people underread the break and miss on the low side. Reading break comes from experience mostly and is tough to teach. Speed will greatly influence the break as well and is actually more important than break.

As for lining up, this is mostly practice. Use a shaft to make sure your feet are aligned. One thing I do that is "free" is to use the line on your ball and line that up with where you want to hit the putt after you have read the break. Aligning your body becomes infinitely easier as you line your body up to this and square your putter accordingly.
    To go a little more indepth as to what Jeff is saying, here is my routine:

1) As I walk up to the green I take a look at the contour from the fairway.
    2) I always walk to my ball, mark it and then attempt to walk in the direction of my putt to the side of the green closest to the next tee. This gives me a feel for the green under my feet.
    3) I walk back behind my marker and take a look from my marker to the hole to get a gauge of the break/distance of the putt.
    4) I then look to the left and right of my putt to get a feel for the high and low side of my putt.
    5) I then try to visualize what line and what speed it will take to get the ball in the hole. And no matter what break I think I see, I usually mark my ball a with a little more break. The ball will never go in if you miss it on the low side.
    6) I then use the wording/logo on the ball to mark what line I want my ball to start on.
    7) I then take my stance, but if the slope feels more severe under my feet and to my eyes, I will back off and take another look and re-align my ball accordingly.
    8) Then it's time to putt, and which point I only think about speed. I have my line set up using my logo/wording, so speed is all that matters now.
    9) Make my stroke, keep my head down, look up to see the ball fall in the hole.
    Last edited by Big Johnny69; 07-31-2007 at 08:58 AM.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    The best tip I have ever seen for reading break is to try and visualize how water would flow on the green. This is good for terrain induced break.

Subtle things like grain (the direction the grass grows) is much harder.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

to me this is key:

8) Then it's time to putt, and which point I only think about speed. I have my line set up using my logo/wording, so speed is all that matters now.

Get everything out of your head other than speed when you are about to hit the ball. I do this as well.

And I added a bit more to #5 in my list. No matter how much break I think I see, I usually play for a little more. The ball will never go in if you constantly miss on the low side.

And I should also add, I putt at a speed to get the ball to drop into the hole. I don't putt at a speed, that if I miss the ball will end up 10-15" past the hole. I don't subscribe to that theory. I know what the purpose of it is, to make sure you get the ball to the hole, but my thinking is, why do you want to putt past your target??? Just the way I think.
    Last edited by Big Johnny69; 07-31-2007 at 09:10 AM.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hybrid harbacostal is on a distinguished road
    To putt at speed. (I also subscribe to Geoff's theory.) As I take a last look at the hole and move my eyes back to the ball at the pace I'd like the ball to take to the hole...say step 8.5....and throw in a practice stroke or two at step 8.25...

Albatross Powerdraw is on a distinguished road

reading greens

my analysis starts from the shot too the green, especially if i know the course. I look from afar at the contours of the green, and try to hit below the hole (to get an uphill putt is ideal).

When i get close or on the green, i track (walk) the entire surface too the hole from the ball. You can feel the break through your feet as well. I then stand between ball and hole and read a 8 footer to get an idea of any late break in the putt...you know, like when the cup is slightly domed it will break hard on a slow putt dying to the hole.

Reading greens...

-uphill putts never break as much as downhill putts.

-downhill putts will break a heck alot more than you think, especially left to right breaks.

-read the break and double what you think at first, always miss high.
    -hit firmly, cup gets in the way. either up or downhill, make a confident stroke.

-the first 3 feet from your putt too the hole have little influence on break, so dont over-read the first 1/3rd of your putts length.

-you hit firm, you have less break

-you hit softy to fall almost dead in the hole, the ball will be mucho influenced by the break.

-find the easiest second putt to the hole to miss to if the first putt seems really tough....(under the hole is ideal to have an easy uphill putt back).

-wind influences putts...yes...remember that, just like a shot to the green, faster in your back, curls on the side and slows down the putt in your face.

-conditions...dry short greens are fast, thus more break. short grass

-conditions...wet grass or long, slow putts, less break.

-Grain? ...in quebec, there is no ONE direction of that so for me, thats almost off this checklist...lol

-environnement...sometimes, greens built into a slope or mountain will naturally influence your putt towards the bottom of that natural layout...if there is a big body of water near the course, balls seem to want break a little towards that at times...for these type of situations, i always ask a member or caretaker if there are any odd things that influences putts on that course.

enough said, i hate long posts.

-

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    A good tip is not to pay too much attention to other players putts. Break is a function of speed and you don't know exactly how hard they hit it so don't base your putt on what someone else's does (except note which direction it broke in).

How many times have you putted and then the guy after you has hit his and blown it way past the hole and said "WTF, your ball broke a foot to the left, this is horse". "Well yes it did, but at the speed you hit it at you would have needed a lot less break".

Quote Originally Posted by Powerdraw View Post
    -read the break and double what you think at first, always miss high.
    I will never understand this. Why double the break when you first read it you may have picked out the ideal break for the initial speed you intend to stroke the putt? If you then double it surely your subconscious brain will then take this into account and you will hit the ball softer. I tend to read the break and then commit to the decision rather than complicate the issue of getting stuck between 2 lines/speeds.

Just my 2c, each to their own i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill View Post
    I will never understand this. Why double the break when you first read it you may have picked out the ideal break for the initial speed you intend to stroke the putt? If you then double it surely your subconscious brain will then take this into account and you will hit the ball softer. I tend to read the break and then commit to the decision rather than complicate the issue of getting stuck between 2 lines/speeds.

let me emphasize that i wrote AT FIRST. I mean, for someone who missreads, he will 99% leave it below the hole. So double your read till you start missing high.

then do as you describe. nothing complicated, i just didnt explain that you dont do that on every putt...sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill View Post

What he is implying is that most amateurs under-read break. I personally don't double the break I see, but I usually get an idea of my intended line, and then always add a bit more. In case you mis-hit the putt, it will never have a chance of dropping if you under-read the break.

let me emphasize that i wrote AT FIRST. I mean, for someone who missreads, he will 99% leave it below the hole. So double your read till you start missing high.

then do as you describe. nothing complicated, i just didnt explain that you dont do that on every putt...sorry
    Ah OK. I see your point.

For when you generally don't have any idea which way the green is sloping, take a look at the plastic liner in the hole. The higher side of the slope will have more earth above the plastic rim.

oh man, nice one...ive never heard that one before....will check that one out tomorrow, thanks!

(oh guyz, please dont type 'plumb-bobbing'...lol)

(oh guyz, please dont type 'plumb-bobbing'...lol)

I nearly piss myself laughing when I see people plumb bobbing....

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    I don't putt at a speed, that if I miss the ball will end up 10-15" past the hole. I don't subscribe to that theory. I know what the purpose of it is, to make sure you get the ball to the hole, but my thinking is, why do you want to putt past your target??? Just the way I think.
    There is more to it than that. How frustrating is it to see the ball stop one roll short of the hole on a perfectly struck putt. How also frustrating to see a ball break at the last second because it was struck too softly.? And lastly if you get it past the hole you will know for sure if there was a break or not.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    There is more to it than that. How frustrating is it to see the ball stop one roll short of the hole on a perfectly struck putt. How also frustrating to see a ball break at the last second because it was struck too softly.? And lastly if you get it past the hole you will know for sure if there was a break or not.
    Like I said, I know the reason for it, I just don't buy into it. I'd always rather have a short uphill tap in than a slippery downhiller. Just the way I play the game. I know many who prefer the "putt past the hole" theory. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, just not for me.

Like I said, I know the reason for it, I just don't buy into it. I'd always rather have a short uphill tap in than a slippery downhiller. Just the way I play the game. I know many who prefer the "putt past the hole" theory. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, just not for me.
    Just like on the PGA, there are "die putters" and "charge putters".

i tend to be a die it in the hole kinda putter, though on shorter putts i try to hit it a bit firmer. I understand the logic and have tried but i seem to knock it 4 feet past when I start to get aggressive. I am sure if I practiced I could get better but I'm quite happy with my putting these days so I'm not gonna start mucking with it.

wow...when was the last time a putting thread on any forum stirred up the pot this much? us gorillas finally getting IT?

Start a poll
    Mahatma Gandhi

wow...when was the last time a putting thread on any forum stirred up the pot this much? us gorillas finally getting IT?
    Ever played the albatros in Quebec city? Everything breaks to the right. However when you approach the green everything looks like it is breaking left. Nice decoy from the architect
    Mahatma Gandhi

1 Iron B Nation is on a distinguished road
    I've heard pros say that on Mountain Style courses, they find the tallest peak in the area, and play the ball to break away from there.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    As has been mentioned here, putting is very personal and there are as many tips as there are golfers. I tried Pelz out this last winter at the OAC golf school and read his book cover/cover. Dry... is there another word like Saharan-like... smart man and would love to have a lesson from him but his writing style is brutal, IMHO. I also read Stan Utley's book on putting. The instructors at the golf school looked at my putting stroke and suggested that I was more of an Utley (swinging door), than Pelz (straight back/through) putter. Once I got over that hurdle then I began to focus on the mechanics of the stroke. I can't put my hands on the book right now but believe he does discuss break and how to read it. It is a cheaper book than Pelz (suggest Library edition). While Pelz is the current guru on the PGA tour Utley also has his PGA/LPGA supporters. As for me, last year I was 34+ ppr, and I have leveled off lately at about 31. To me break is about practice, practice, practice. When you find the answer, let us know, and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Ever played the albatros in Quebec city? Everything breaks to the right. However when you approach the green everything looks like it is breaking left. Nice decoy from the architect
    hehe...played Albatros 3 days ago, im pretty used to it....same thing happens in Montmagny...evertime a course is laid out on the St-Lawrence, the putts break towards the body of water if the layout is into a sidehill like the first 9 at Albatros...NO MATTER WHAT YOU SEE ....the second nine is on the upper deck, so there is no influence....
    (i shot a 78 from the back tees)

ADAbsolutNDN
    To go a little more indepth as to what Jeff is saying, here is my routine:

1) As I walk up to the green I take a look at the contour from the fairway.
    2) I always walk to my ball, mark it and then attempt to walk in the direction of my putt to the side of the green closest to the next tee. This gives me a feel for the green under my feet.
    3) I walk back behind my marker and take a look from my marker to the hole to get a gauge of the break/distance of the putt.
    4) I then look to the left and right of my putt to get a feel for the high and low side of my putt.
    5) I then try to visualize what line and what speed it will take to get the ball in the hole. And no matter what break I think I see, I usually mark my ball a with a little more break. The ball will never go in if you miss it on the low side.
    6) I then use the wording/logo on the ball to mark what line I want my ball to start on.
    7) I then take my stance, but if the slope feels more severe under my feet and to my eyes, I will back off and take another look and re-align my ball accordingly.
    9) Make my stroke, keep my head down, look up to see the ball fall in the hole.
    Well I finally went out to the course the other day and tried to apply the rather large amount of advice that was offered in the thread...I tried to follow these steps and it definately helped. I only 3-putted 2 or 3 greens

Pitching Wedge hoylake is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    One thing I do that is "free" is to use the line/logo on your ball and line that up with where you want to hit the putt after you have read the break.
    Does anyone else feel like this is somehow cheating? Yeah I do it sometimes, the tour pros do it all the time but it seems wrong. This is the old school in me talking but IMO the reference on a putt should be the whole ball, not a goddam black Sharpie arrow drawn on the cover.

Thread Information