CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar

Conditions of the New 9 at Greensmere

I have heard some negative reviews on the conditions of the new nine - along the lines of it is just not worth playing yet and that one should wait. Since I and planned to head there next week, can anyone offer any insight.

Gap Wedge redgun22 is on a distinguished road
    We played it last Friday and were generally pretty impressed with the conditions... for a brand new track. A few of the greens were very bumpy, but generally all was pretty decent.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    What about the elevated greens? I heard that the grass leading up to the elevated greens was sparse and that over all the fairways were quite dry and hard (i.e. it was very hard to get a club under the ball).

I'm sure that the course is in good shape for a NEW course, but what is it like compared to an established course??

Thanks in advance

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Just got back from Greensmere , and the course is very playable, but it definitely has some sparse areas , and for all parts the greens were bumpy.Overall though it is a really nice layout , with some Monster Greens on some holes , give this a couple of years and its gonna be a sweet course , the next nine won't be opening til next summer , but your best bet is to get out and play it at the twilight rate . For $25 mon-thurs , you won't be too disappointed .
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Sand Wedge kaiserii is on a distinguished road kaiserii's Avatar
    New course is very good to play(Black course) it's impressive and worth to play.
    But old nine, bad conditioned fairway and greens are dried out but not roll.
    So I got 3times over in old course... as I hit 7 over in new nine....
    Last edited by Kilroy; 06-26-2007 at 05:02 AM. Reason: please read the rules

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserii View Post
    New course is very good to play(Black course) it's impressive and worth to play.
    But old nine, bad conditioned fairway and greens are dried out but not roll.
    So I got 3times over in old course... as I hit 7 over in new nine....
    The new 9 is the GOLD, the old front is the WHITE and the old back is the BLACK. Fairway and green conditions on the black and white are fine, while on the GOLD, they range from perfect to "I have to move my ball."

Those of us who are members recognize that the conditions are less than ideal, even though it is quite playable, and by fall or next year, they should be quite good. We understand why those paying a daily fee would want perfect conditions just like you get at every other course in the area. By looking at the scores we are seeing that the GOLD course is much more challenging that the others and driving the ball straight is absolutely essential.

Sand Wedge pingzzing is on a distinguished road
    I haven't been as yet myself, but I heard good things from a couple of people who have played there recently.

Birdie Sensgirl is on a distinguished road Sensgirl's Avatar
    Played there yesterday and didn't have any problems on the white or black. Conditions were great

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    The conditions of the white and black were fine when I last played, I was only asking about the new part, which is the gold course.

And although I have heard it "will be" the nicest nine at greensmere, I have also heard from a couple of members that I will be happier if I wait until fall to play it. But I am looking forward to it.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I played the Gold (new course) again , and the conditions haven't really changed .
    A few of the greens are getting a little worse but the course seems to be sending everyone out onto it at some part of their round.
    I don't know what their reasoning is behind this ,but more traffic isn't going to help the new course at all.
    I personally won't play it again this year because of the huge difference between conditions of the new and old course .

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I've requested to play the black and white when I've been assigned the gold, and have had no problems doing so. They're pretty understanding at Greensmere I find.

It's not a surprise the new 9 is struggling conditions-wise, we haven't had any rain since it opened. Just bad luck is all, they'll get it turned around if the weather cooperates.

Yeh , it was really odd , the black course had no-one on it , so we assumed it was closed for a tournament or something , i guess we should have just asked, but i can't figure out why they are sending everyone to the new course , they're gonna have problems with the conditions sooner than they think.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    That's too bad--^^^^^^ too much traffic too soon is really going to hurt
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

1 Iron sparsons is on a distinguished road
    I played the new nine and the original front nine this past weekend, I found the new nine to be a nice layout but the conditions are not worth playing yet. Especially when they are charging full price. I would have expected some sort of deal for playing the new nine, maybe a 2for1 coupon for my next visit. I won't go back this year especially if they put me on the new nine.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I played the new nine in a match almost 2 weeks ago. The layout is great and the new greens are surprisingly good, save that they are slower than the older holes. All in all, I'd have no problem playing this 9 again. In fact, I look forward to doing just that.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Neither this site, nor Greensmere's has any info on the gold 9. I am playing it for the 1st time on Sunday. Any score card info out there? hole layout pics?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I believe it's still playing as a mix of holes from the 2 new nines. They are holding off on publishing the layout until it is complete.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Here you go Reza, I scanned the card for you. The new 9 has gold numbers. It's not rated though.

Attachment 8267

Excellent. Thanks a lot Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    Excellent. Thanks a lot Dave.
    We played the black and gold nines today and the new greens on the gold are now running faster than those of the other nines.

King Hawk Sphere Hunter is on a distinguished road Sphere Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    We played the black and gold nines today and the new greens on the gold are now running faster than those of the other nines.
    Yes they are running fast. I played it on Tuesday and found they that were also about the hardest greens, I mean the surface, that I have ever played in my life. How does your ball react on these surfaces? Mine lands, then rolls 40 feet. As you know, I don't play a high spin ball but it seems silly to watch it land and roll that far. Hard to play front pins with these sort of conditions. Should I change golf balls or what????

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Don't worry, I'll show you how to play that shot the next time we go out. I'm on vacation for 2 1/2 weeks in August. We should be able to arrange something then. My change purse awaits!

Quote Originally Posted by Sphere Hunter View Post
    ... Should I change golf balls or what????
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

King Hawk Sphere Hunter is on a distinguished road Sphere Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Don't worry, I'll show you how to play that shot the next time we go out. I'm on vacation for 2 1/2 weeks in August. We should be able to arrange something then. My change purse awaits!
    Let me know when you want to play. I'll have to stop at the bank for a few rolls of quarters first!
    Sorry for the thread-jacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sphere Hunter View Post
    Yes they are running fast. I played it on Tuesday and found they that were also about the hardest greens, I mean the surface, that I have ever played in my life. How does your ball react on these surfaces? Mine lands, then rolls 40 feet. As you know, I don't play a high spin ball but it seems silly to watch it land and roll that far. Hard to play front pins with these sort of conditions. Should I change golf balls or what????
    YES!!! I hit 7 of the 9 greens yesterday and all the ball marks were 6 or 7 paces or less from where the ball ended. One, from a hook lie in the rough on #3 hit the green and rolled to the edge. Time to put the Pinnacles away.

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    I believe it's still playing as a mix of holes from the 2 new nines. They are holding off on publishing the layout until it is complete.
    Are you sure about that, Dan? Looking at the scanned score card it looks like the new 9 is all new, with the original 18 remaining as it was.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    The old nines are untouched. There are 9 more holes still being built. I heard the current gold was a mix of holes from the 2 new nines.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Dan is definitely correct.

I played Greensmere Gold course yesterday. The greens were hard and unreceptive. Balls landing from the sky (PW) did not even leave marks on the greens. Look for a lot of roll when the balls lands on the greens.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I played the new 9 yesterday 07/29/07 and I was not impressed. The grass is still sparse in places and not very well rooted in others. The greens are probably the hardest that I have ever played in my life and they were very sandy.

That said, when these holes have a little time to mature they will be an awesome addition to an already great golf course.

As other have already said, I can't for the life of me understand why the course is pushing these new holes on folks.

Thread Information