CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    8 Iron khadafi_9 is on a distinguished road khadafi_9's Avatar

leave the driver in the bag?

I don't know if its just me, but does anyone else enjoy hitting the 3 wood and hybrid more then the driver? i've been killing my hybrid (17 degree) off the tee and i just seem to get a lower trajectery (spelling?) and more run out from the hybrid and 3 wood. the 3 wood and hybrid just feel so much more solid then an oversized driver. anyone else experiencing this? can anyone think of a reason i might feel this way?

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Generally speaking, the shorter the club, the easier it is to hit..........that said, why can't I hit a wedge???

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Yep, usually a 5w off the tee for me. My driver is in the garden shed and that is where it will stay as long as I am hitting 8-10/14 fairways per round.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    I have 3 drivers all collecting dust, along with a 3w & 5w from my Mizuno's while I continually hit my old 3 w off the tee. I love that club as I've had it for years, I think its partially mental but it works so why not?

Anyone need a lh driver?
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    It has a lot to do with the obliqueness of the hit. Nothing is keeping you from getting a large oversized driver with 15 degrees of loft. Such a club will be more forgiving than a smaller head 3 or 5 wood or hybrid.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    It's as much about confidence as anything.

I'm better with my driver off the tee (on average) than I am with hybrids and fairway woods. And if I do miss it, it's usually a lot closer to the green which gives me a chance at putting it on.

There's nothing more frustrating than choosing an iron to play safe and leaving yourself in the rough needing to hit a long iron into the green.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Generally speaking, the shorter the club, the easier it is to hit..........that said, why can't I hit a wedge???
    Uhhhhhhh does your user name have anything to do with your game? Could be the reason you can't hit that wedge Just kidding dude!

I love my Titleist 904F 5 wood, 19 degree. Man the other day on a 309 yard par 4 I launched a Pro V with that club. I had about 25 yards to the green by time that ball came to rest! It was on a rope from the time it left the tee until it hit the ground. There was a little tailwind, but not that much!
    The guy I was playing with said "Rick, why do you carry a driver?"
    I said "Because I like to shoot high scores"

Funny thing is, I used to be the man with a 3 wood. I did not carry a driver for years. Now I have the same 3 wood as my 5 wood, a 904F but I can not hit it as good as I used to. Just recently I am starting to gain some confidence back with that club.

You know you are better off being in the fairway off the tee with a 3 wood than buried in the trees with a driver!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    Have you tried choking up on the driver and see what happens? If you are more accurate, you might want to consider shortening up the length of your driver.

Dave

Driver overswing is on a distinguished road overswing's Avatar
    get a burner, your problem will be erased

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    I switched to my 3w while my driver was getting reshafted, and I haven't really switched back yet. It is a very different way of playing. I am thinking for my next round to try and come up with a plan ahead of time for the round and try to stick to it, and see what happens.
    Back at it.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Have you tried choking up on the driver and see what happens? If you are more accurate, you might want to consider shortening up the length of your driver.

Dave
    Current driver plays at 44 inches. I am not that bad with the driver, it is not like I am a fairway over every time! I hit it ok. I was just making reference to the fact higher lofted woods are easier to hit.
    Like a nice 13 degree driver, very easy to hit straight.

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Current driver plays at 44 inches. I am not that bad with the driver, it is not like I am a fairway over every time! I hit it ok. I was just making reference to the fact higher lofted woods are easier to hit.
    Like a nice 13 degree driver, very easy to hit straight.
    The size of the sweet spot on a 400-460cc driver should be much larger than that of a typical fairway wood. Standard driver lengths of 45-46" are too long IMO. I probably need to knock 2-3 inches off my backup, Nickent 425 Genex Forged (stock length measures approx 46 inches).

Dave

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    never!!!

...just carry lot's of balls

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    seriously, I am totally against bagging a club. I suppose there are times when the 3w is a better option, I hit irons off the tee at 17 and 18 at Champlain most of the time, but every club has it's use, something no other club can do as well as it does.

That being said I don't carry a lob wedge, but this is about the driver.

I remember the playing lessons with the pros with John Daly, he made an interesting point about having a goto shot that might not be the best shot in the bag, but a shot you feel pretty good about hitting. If you could count on popping a nice slight fade about 10 yards fahter than your best 3w with the driver, and just as often, would you still pull 3w?

Uhhhhhhh does your user name have anything to do with your game? Could be the reason you can't hit that wedge Just kidding dude!
    My user name has EVERYTHING to do with my game

As for hitting a FW off of the tee instead of a driver, I played the Back 9 at Greensmere today hitting 4W off of every tee and was right out there with everyone else

As for hitting a FW off of the tee instead of a driver, I played the Back 9 at Greensmere today hitting 4W off of every tee and was right out there with everyone else
    From the lady"s tees Scott?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Not quite everybody, now let me see if my memory serves me right

10 left in the rough short
    11 left in the rough
    12 par 3
    13 great drive, 10 yrds past me
    14 waaaaay left in the rough (great 4 wood recovery)
    15 right in the rough
    16 par 3
    17 5 yards past me in left rough
    18 left in the rough

It was terribly lonely in the middle of the fairways (except for 17)
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    IMHO, no one over an 18 handicap should be using a driver in the first place. and even then most shouldnt.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    When I was a jr. I couldn't hit a driver.. I used to hit this old 5 wood with a super small head.. I could keep up with most of my buddies with it.. Now I hit driver every hole.. Lots of times I shouldn't hit driver.. But I never claimed to be smart.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

That's because you played with Indio and not me.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Did you score better than those women you were playing with in your group? Just curious that is why I ask.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    I am not sure I agree with that. I am a 20 handicap and have no problems hitting my driver. I may not be hitting it long, but I can poke it our there and keep it going relatively straight most of the time.

What makes me a 20 handicap is the 36-40 putts per round and flubbed chips.

To answer the original question: No I have never thought about putting the driver in the bag. However I have thoguht about putting my back in the bag and using someone else's. Anyone with a healthy lower back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Perl View Post
    IMHO, no one over an 18 handicap should be using a driver in the first place. and even then most shouldnt.

Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    I am not sure I agree with that. I am a 20 handicap and have no problems hitting my driver. I may not be hitting it long, but I can poke it our there and keep it going relatively straight most of the time.

What makes me a 20 handicap is the 36-40 putts per round and flubbed chips.

To answer the original question: No I have never thought about putting the driver in the bag. However I have thoguht about putting my back in the bag and using someone else's. Anyone with a healthy lower back.

I play golf with a guy, who has an honest index of 29 and he hits driver all day long. This guy hits more fairways in one round than I hit in 5 yet he can not break 90. Why? His iron play needs improving, along with his short game. Some days he 3-4 putts so often it just kills his score.

But he tees it up and hits the driver out there around 215-225 and rarely is he off the fairway. Lately he is has been getting it out there a bit further. I think I want a drug test if this keeps up

Funny thing is, he can hit that driver 175 if need be on par 3's. It's uncanny how straight he hits it! I always tell him "Your accuracy, my length and short game and I'd be in the low 70's every round!"

So I sure would not take the driver out of his hands. In fact I have told him to go buy a newer driver, an OEM like a Ping and he would likely gain some distance over his non OEM driver he hits now.

So I sure would not take the driver out of his hands. In fact I have told him to go buy a newer driver, an OEM like a Ping and he would likely gain some distance over his non OEM driver he hits now.
    How so my dear Golfbum?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post

How so my dear Golfbum?
    Well Dear Chieflongtee his current driver is an old non OEM cheap model. I am sure with new technology in the face and shaft he would gain some yardage.

Why is it that I constantly read about guys buying the current drivers on the market and gaining yardage compared to a driver that is 3-5 years old? Are they BS'ing us or fantasizing?

Trust me, the driver this guy is hitting is not high end material, I am pretty sure he would gain a few yards with a good used Ping G2 etc. Faces are hotter, shafts are better, and newer drivers are even more forgiving on mis. We all realize that fact.

Is this a sound theory?

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Not quite everybody, now let me see if my memory serves me right

10 left in the rough short
    11 left in the rough
    12 par 3
    13 great drive, 10 yrds past me
    14 waaaaay left in the rough (great 4 wood recovery)
    15 right in the rough
    16 par 3
    17 5 yards past me in left rough
    18 left in the rough

It was terribly lonely in the middle of the fairways (except for 17)
    If you were to re-read my post you'd notice that I didn't use the word "fairway" anywhere in it

I was "by" you on every hole except #10 - just be thankful that I can't hit the ball straight

Did you score better than those women you were playing with in your group? Just curious that is why I ask.
    I shot a 42 on the back couple with the 49 on the front for a Hacker-like 91 which was the second lowest gross round.........me thinks that my 20.8 factor would have probably given me the low net score even over the individual who will remain nameless who claims that he was lonely in the fairway by himself all day

Well Dear Chieflongtee his current driver is an old non OEM cheap model. I am sure with new technology in the face and shaft he would gain some yardage.

Why is it that I constantly read about guys buying the current drivers on the market and gaining yardage compared to a driver that is 3-5 years old? Are they BS'ing us or fantasizing?

Trust me, the driver this guy is hitting is not high end material, I am pretty sure he would gain a few yards with a good used Ping G2 etc. Faces are hotter, shafts are better, and newer drivers are even more forgiving on mis. We all realize that fact.

Is this a sound theory?
    Tis. Sorry Rickbum I still would be curious to see him hit his driver and yours on the course and see the difference in yardage. That being said and to this point I believe the only way you are going to hit it farther with a recent component driver or a recent OEM driver is if you find a way to hit it straighter with the optimum launch angle. Size is set 460, COR is set at .830 and MOI is set at 5900. Better hit the gym
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Tis. Sorry Rickbum I still would be curious to see him hit his driver and yours on the course and see the difference in yardage. That being said and to this point I believe the only way you are going to hit it farther with a recent component driver or a recent OEM driver is if you find a way to hit it straighter with the optimum launch angle. Size is set 460, COR is set at .830 and MOI is set at 5900. Better hit the gym
    Well he can't use mine as he is a leftie!

However his driver is far from new, and far from 460CC with a deep face or .830 COR. I am talking about a piece of crap driver,not last years G2
    As for hitting it straighter, if he got any straigther they could narrow the fairways down to 20 yards wide.

Hybrid harbacostal is on a distinguished road
    I hit my 3 wood almost as far as my driver and waaaay straighter...that being said I can't help but hit the driver...which of course would explain my 17 handicap to a certain extent...

Thread Information