100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar

Laser Link Golf Rangefinder

Today I played a golf course (Islesmere “ClubLink”) for the first time. I asked to use the Laser demo for the day. First time with a measuring device ever. This laser works with a little reflector that is installed on the top of the flagstick. You point the laser to the top of the flag and bingo you get the exact yardage immediately. WOW unbelievable!! I don’t understand people who dislike them. I’m positive that they do save time. At least for players that realy want the exact distance.

I was impressed on the actual distance that I had to the pin on some holes. For example there was a par 4 dogleg to the left. I was at the 150Y marker just slightly in the ruff on the right. I was dead in line with the 150 about 20Y on the long side. I estimated 155Y to the pin. Point and click….167Y!!!! I was shocked.

In conclusion, this is a blessing not only to speed up the pace of play but to score better also. I have never played a round where I was pin high so many times. I played 76 today with two doubles at a very difficult course that I have never played before. I’m sold!!

http://www.laserlinkgolf.com/

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Looks nice, but the required reflector on the flagstick is pretty limiting. Makes sense for Clublink members if they will be installed at all the CL courses, but I can't see it being used widely outside of that.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    I do not have a Laserlink, but there are 2 models for sale in some of the Clublink proshops, the more expensive one does not require the reflector. The reflector does help with any rangefinder though as the reading is very quick.

The flagstick reflectors are not exclusive to Clublink.

Rangefinders don't just tell you where the flagstick is, they can tell you how far away most objects are, fairway bunkers, trees at the corner of doglegs, etc.

The Laserlink model is just another rangefinder, i.e. competition for the Pinseeker model which I own.

Your right Dan and for us CL members the laser link is very appealing since the reflectors are already added to all CL courses. I have tried a regular rangefinder but the speed of the laser link is incomparable.

The only device that surpasses this laser is the Golflogix GPS system. New courses added within a couple of business day mapped out my satellites just by sending an email to the company. Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    I have tried a regular rangefinder but the speed of the laser link is incomparable.
    Did you try a Pinseeker? It tells you the distance instantly. Not sure how that is "incomparable".

I don’t remember the name of the RF that I tried but I had to find a solid object then click to point and then to get the distance. It wasn’t even comparable the LL I tried. Now the downside, for some, is that you are limited to the pin but that’s all I want. And there is also the size. I would have to find a way to strap it to my bag since I carry.

Now the Logix GPS is the ultimate gadget. No buttons to click ever. As soon as you step on the tee box it switches to that hole in particular. It gives you all the info you need. Bunker, water hazards, dogleg distance, front centre and back of the greens….It’s water proof and shock resistant. And it’s the size of a cell phone.

I’m not saying that nothing is better out since I don’t have that much experience but it’s going to be hard to beat.

Golf Nut pvs1313 is on a distinguished road pvs1313's Avatar
    I havbe the pinseeker 1500, it is juts aas fast as the Lsaer link, i have used boith, and it allows you to get distances to other objects as well. the scan mode is second to none. It allows you to easily pick up your carry distances off tees, over hazzards etc, and it is instintanous in response time, so not sure what you mean by having to wait.

I like the Laser ink, but only being aboe to get the flag, and only on courses that have reflectors, not worth it, maybe the gold one, buyt then why not go with a pinseeker, right now it is the best thing on the market as far as laser range finders by FAR

Where do you point to get the exact pin distance? How expensive is it? I can get a LL on ebay for 160$.

I think all of this technology is great. However it is much more effective for those of you who can hit the ball within a small tolerance on your shot distance.

Logix GPS is (was) what LeGeant and Diable at Tremblant had a couple years ago. They seemed very poor in accuracy. Every cart had one, and we would stand beside each other and compare readings, sometimes the reading would be as much as 15yds different. Plus they were very slow in updating the distance, i.e. if you drove somewhere then looked at it, it took a while to finally decide on how far away you were. Unless they redesigned it (unlikely) I would stay away.

Sand Wedge pir2 is on a distinguished road
    Where do you point to get the exact pin distance? How expensive is it? I can get a LL on ebay for 160$.
    You can also get another rangefinder for approximately the same price and point it to other objects.

Also a CL member and with the new reflectors, you can pretty much use any cheap laser range finder and point it just above the flag and get a quick reading.

Being able to point the rangefinder at other things is also useful. Hazards etc. Or on a new course you haven't played, whether the group ahead is within hitting distnace.

Quote Originally Posted by lms View Post
    I think all of this technology is great. However it is much more effective for those of you who can hit the ball within a small tolerance on your shot distance.

Logix GPS is (was) what LeGeant and Diable at Tremblant had a couple years ago. They seemed very poor in accuracy. Every cart had one, and we would stand beside each other and compare readings, sometimes the reading would be as much as 15yds different. Plus they were very slow in updating the distance, i.e. if you drove somewhere then looked at it, it took a while to finally decide on how far away you were. Unless they redesigned it (unlikely) I would stay away.
    Really!! That’s interesting. I wonder if the hand held is more precise and/or with the couple years of experience they ironed out some problems.

I like to tryout stuff before I buy. Probably will never see the light this anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by pir2 View Post
    You can also get another rangefinder for approximately the same price and point it to other objects.

Also a CL member and with the new reflectors, you can pretty much use any cheap laser range finder and point it just above the flag and get a quick reading.

Being able to point the rangefinder at other things is also useful. Hazards etc. Or on a new course you haven't played, whether the group ahead is within hitting distnace.

So that reflector is just a mirror and it works with any laser. That’s good to know. But what do you point the laser at when you are in an open field like the Predator and you want to know how far to clear the trap? Can you just point at the back lip?

One thing that I don’t like is the size of these lasers. I walk and carry when I play. I need to find a compact model that I can strap on my golf bag. Are there more compact models and how compact are they?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    But what do you point the laser at when you are in an open field like the Predator and you want to know how far to clear the trap? Can you just point at the back lip?
    Correct.

As far as size goes, I carry all the time too and I use the older version of this:

http://www.golftown.com/gtcommerce/s...-P724C562.aspx

It's quite small. Just bigger than a juice drinking box.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Do you have it on your belt or on your bag?

On my bag. The pouch comes with a clip that I attach to the towel clip on my bag.

Cool. I'll look in to that. Let's just say that the round I played with the laser hooked me good!

Ebay shopping time

If you have Aeroplan points that you don't know what to do with, that's where I got mine.

No Aeroplan points but I get brownie points at home. I guess golf town wont take those.

Playing Winter Rules RBAKER is on a distinguished road RBAKER's Avatar
    Nice review of Islemere, I will book it for sure. Thanks for the update.
    The Canadian distributor of Quick Shot is a member at our course. We played with him and his wife and got to test them out as well!
    Probably better for the low handicap. At 17 I think I will be able to negotiate a few Yards here and there!

Today I played a golf course (Islesmere “ClubLink”) for the first time. I asked to use the Laser demo for the day. First time with a measuring device ever. This laser works with a little reflector that is installed on the top of the flagstick. You point the laser to the top of the flag and bingo you get the exact yardage immediately. WOW unbelievable!! I don’t understand people who dislike them. I’m positive that they do save time. At least for players that realy want the exact distance.

I was impressed on the actual distance that I had to the pin on some holes. For example there was a par 4 dogleg to the left. I was at the 150Y marker just slightly in the ruff on the right. I was dead in line with the 150 about 20Y on the long side. I estimated 155Y to the pin. Point and click….167Y!!!! I was shocked.

In conclusion, this is a blessing not only to speed up the pace of play but to score better also. I have never played a round where I was pin high so many times. I played 76 today with two doubles at a very difficult course that I have never played before. I’m sold!!

http://www.laserlinkgolf.com/

Mike
    Membership- GlenCairn Golf Club

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    If you have Aeroplan points that you don't know what to do with, that's where I got mine.
    I have some Aeroplan points....any idea how many is needed for a laser range finder and the procedure to redeem them for such an item? Thanks in advance.

Dave

I think it's 39,000 points. You just go to the aeroplan site and go to the rewards page to redeem them.

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    Thanks, JVincent,

It's 39,500 for the Yardage Pro....too many for my account.

Dave

Thread Information