100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    It was my understanding it would be a shot gun start. No?
    That's going to be a very long day for whoever has the 7am tee time & the group teeing off at 2pm will need to get around in about 4 hours.
    Not a shotgun - never has been. Getting 40 groups off in a shotgun on an 18 hole golf course is basically impossible (2+ groups per starting hole?!) if you want a decent pace.

On that subject, there will be three marshalls from the golf course and two tournament staff who will be patrolling to ensure play is as brisk as possible. Last year, there was a 30-45 minute rain delay at Eagle Creek and all groups made it in before lack of sun became an issue. With 10 minute tee time intervals, we're told that we should have no problem keeping round times somewhat consistent throughout the day.

The wait could be long if the first group teeing off shoots out the lights and decides to stick around to see if they indeed remain contenders throughout the day. But with the prize list and the happiness/sense of satisfaction of knowing I shot a hell of a round would certainly make the wait worth it.

It's the first time for the Open B, Women and Junior events. Because they're not two day events like the big one on the weekend, logistics may prove to require some sort of tweaking before the 2008 edition comes along.

BUT... with the combined experience of those who have run the past Sun Scramble tournaments and of those who either have run similar events or golf courses, we think we're going to find that the event will run smoothly and will be fun for all participants.

Regarding someone's question yesterday (?) about tee off times, an e-mail was just fired out informing registered participants that the times will be posted online 2-3 days prior to each event.

Michael
    Last edited by BullDog; 08-03-2007 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Baaad math!!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I agree that pace of play shouldn't be a problem.

It is, after all a scramble so if you launch one into the bush, just forget and play the other one.

Last year I think both rounds and EC were done in 4:30 - 4:45.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    I agree, 10 mintute intervals usually keep things moving nicely, let's hope for some good weather too.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    I agree, 10 mintute intervals usually keep things moving nicely, let's hope for some good weather too.
    I've already submitted the request to the powers that be.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    is it possible to request an afternoon tee off?
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Is the handicap factor used to decided net score, or just as a means on entry into to the tournament, beyond which the total score is your raw total?

Quote Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
    I don't know what you're looking for, but I'm willing to help clear up any questions you may have. The website, as far as I can see, has all the required elements (who, what, where, when, etc.) as well as a comprehensive list of rules... but THE event is the two-man scramble tournament. What's missing? If you can identify something, I'll have it added ASAP.

As for "what else goes on at the event", there will be a putting competition, a car up for grabs from West Ottawa Hyundai on one of the par 3 holes and a few other fun "side attractions", but the main point of the tournament is to see what two-person pairing can score best and therefore become the B Class Champions.

Again, if I am missing anything (or if you can identify something the site may be lacking), I'm the go-to guy. Let me know here and I'll get you the info or remedy the situation.

Michael Mason
    Open B Championship Tournament Director

Handicaps are just used to determine which tournament you should enter.

The actual tournament is gross score.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Thanks, Paul. I guess I won't be playing in that event.
    Mike don't take this the wrong way, but the Senior Open event still has room.....

I'll be playing with psniddy in the B event. Wish us luck!

3 Wood smithers40 is on a distinguished road
    well i get to play in next years because me and buddy won the junior tourny and along with the spectacular prizes we recieved we also get to play in the tourny next year (all paid for)

Good job. What did you end up shooting?

umm we were 64...we didn't make any putts...and didn't really play as a "team" lol it was more of a i made an eagle and 3 birds off my own ball and he made 4 birds off his own ball and we made a bogey...but man the prizes were outstanding

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    You made -5 on 4 holes. He made -4 on 4 holes. What part of 'team' didn't gel for you? Sounds like a team to me. I'll take either one of you as a partner any day!
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

haha well we didn't play "together" we only gained strokes when we did it ourselves haha if u ever need a partner let me know then or a good match im always down

congrats to both of you....so what were the prizes you won?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Credit where credit is due. You played Ham and Eggs golf. That's the best thing you can hope for in a partner. Have another look at the card and you'll see what I mean.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

um we won exemptions into next years tourny all paid for... membership at bent grass indoor golf for the winter....sunice rain suits....golf at upper canada...not bad for the 40 dollar entry fee

That's a sweet haul.

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    was a great day at the Open B. the tourney is going into a 18 hole playoff on the weekend to decide the winner. low score was 67...
    Paulio and I were 3rd with a 68.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattchew View Post
    was a great day at the Open B. the tourney is going into a 18 hole playoff on the weekend to decide the winner. low score was 67...
    Paulio and I were 3rd with a 68.
    Too bad you just missed out. But good shooting. It was nice to meet you and Paulio today.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    ya thanks Geoff...and you too

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    Yes, and Geoff got to witness our worst shot as a team during the day at the 7th. It was a nice shank-slice! We had many chances to get to maybe 6-7 under, we just left a few shots out there.
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Well done guys!!
    Congrats on some fine shooting. Good way to represent the NCGT as well. How did jeffc and gord do?? and the Muises?
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

In the Zone psniddy is on a distinguished road
    Jeff and I had a very fun day. We ended up shooting 77 after doubleing 2 par 5's anda par 3. We didn't do a great job at picking each other up as both of us had all our misses on the same holes.
    We did get to meet some great people and play a very nice course. Thanks to the staff at Le Sorcier and Executive golf for doing a great job.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psniddy View Post
    Jeff and I had a very fun day. We ended up shooting 77 after doubleing 2 par 5's anda par 3. We didn't do a great job at picking each other up as both of us had all our misses on the same holes.
    We did get to meet some great people and play a very nice course. Thanks to the staff at Le Sorcier and Executive golf for doing a great job.
    I thought this was a scramble? No offense intended but how do you double bogey 2 par 5's in a scramble format?

Hybrid harbacostal is on a distinguished road
    For a course that was playing from the "whites" there were a lot of tee boxes that were at the blues...and the flags were definitely in some tough spots. The twosome we played with 3 putted multiple greens...
    We on the other hand made a lot of bogeys. Just couldn't get off the tee and our iron play was much less than spectacular...

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I think it would be fairly easy to make doubles on par 5's even in a two man scramble format. How many times have you and someone your playing both had trouble on a hole? That's all it takes even if your playing Scramble. Two bad tee shots, perhaps OB three off the tee and away you go.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I think it would be fairly easy to make doubles on par 5's even in a two man scramble format. How many times have you and someone your playing both had trouble on a hole? That's all it takes even if your playing Scramble. Two bad tee shots, perhaps OB three off the tee and away you go.
    All I'm saying is if you and I are playing a scramble and I get in trouble off the tee, you have to hit your "go to" club just to put us in play. We then re-assess our ability to be aggressive from the fairway, or just play for par and move on.

G

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I can understand that for sure but hey you don't always hit your go to club well either!

I think a lot of people probably have never played a two-man scramble and are used to the four-man variety. In a 4-man there's a lot less pressure.

I know last year MJF and I had a few holes in the first round where the first ball was in the junk and the "safe" ball ended up not being the best either. We never had to take a penalty but we did make a few bogies.

Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    I thought this was a scramble? No offense intended but how do you double bogey 2 par 5's in a scramble format?
    no offense taken. On # 11, we both hit our balls into the woods. They had the entire course playing as a lateral hazard so we dropped at point of entry, hitting 3. Not so tough to take a 7 from there, especially on a 580 yd par 5. On #2, Gord hit his into the woods right, I was long into the creek. Drop for 3, 2 putts and boom a double.

We did have 3 birds on the back and shot 40-37 (against a par of 34-37) so we were happy with the back 9 (despite the double).

The greens were slick (even being in the last group) and there were a lot of pins in precarious positions with at least 5-6 being on the crest of a hill, which meant some really tough reads. Putting wasn't our problem though - we actually putted quite well - although there were a lot more undulations on the green that I remember, probably since the greens have gotten much faster in the last 2 years since the first few times I played it.

The tournament was really well run, with nary a hiccup. The course was also in phenonmenal shape, other than some of the tee boxes, which they seem to be having problems with. Being the last group off, we were a hair under 5 1/2 hours, which is a bit long to be out there and took some real patience, especially on the first 7 holes.

Nice to see the winning scores were quite reasonable as well, with only 4-5 groups being under par.

All in all, a great day and I'll play again for sure.
    Last edited by jeffc; 08-22-2007 at 10:05 AM. Reason: i can't spell!

Thread Information