CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge Tonx is on a distinguished road

Who has the best current line Irons?

Forgive me for such a naive question.

I'm looking to upgrade my current irons. I basically have a "mongrel" cavity backed set right now, with a couple of high irons being hybrids (not looking to replace my 3i hybrid though) and I replaced my 8 iron a while ago due to the old Iron meeting a friend called "Mr Oak Tree" with a chunky headed stiff shafted no name iron (just to improvise until needed)

Line up I'm keeping:

Nike SQ driver
    Speed tipped Nicklaus 5 fairway wood (Magic club from 190-210 metres out BTW)
    Bazooka 31 Hybrid.
    Nike Blue chip (Australian version) putter

But I want some new Irons! Not looking for anything special to come out of the results of buying new irons, but the better the result, the happier i'll be.

Undecided whether or not I want another set of Cavity Backs or I wanna go with forged irons, I'm no where near good enough to hit blades. Off about 15 (although its winter over here, and I rarely get out) but due to the designs of the courses I play, sometimes im in the medium 70's and sometimes i'm in the high 90's. As you have probably picked up already, I am not an experienced golfer, but I have spent cash on lessons, and practised alot since I started, and my game is pretty solid so far.

My question to you guys, is if you were in my shoes right now, what irons would you purchase and why? What brand, and what type of Irons. Should I stick with Cavity backed, or go with forged?

I'm looking at the big 4 in reputation and availability over this way, and don't really have a budget, as i'm happy to spend the money now and get a nice set.

Nike
    TM
    Srixon
    Cally

Or should I avoid OEM equipement (even though I will obviously get them tuned for me) and go with a custom made set, non-branded set?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    You should know that cavity backs and forged irons are not mutually exclusive. I have a backup set of Nearnet forged Kenneth Smith Milled cavity backs. Too bad that my poor swing doesn't make these irons perform at their best....therefore, they have become my backups. Hope to make my set of Raven Hawk EAP irons (cast) become my primary.

Dave

Thread Information