CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rookie score

Sand Wedge GOLFEROLIC is on a distinguished road

Rookie score

I know most of you here are long time golfer, but please tell me what was your score on your first year golfing? how long did it take you to break 100, 90, 80, 70 or so. and what you do to improve your game?

lession i had a fews.( i pratice everyday) physicly, but mentally there's no way for me to practice that.

this is my first year of golfing, ive play about 20+ rounds this year (12 rounds last year) now and i break 100 only 2 times. i keep all my score cards, keep track of what i do fair way, green, putts etc. i do what ever i can to improve my game. but man it's a slow process. my score still hanging around 100 zone.

enter 3 tournaments this year, 1st @ Eagle Rigded finised 104, 2nd @ National Pines finished 109, 3rd @ Bond Head last saturday finished 114, but won the longest drive trophy.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Sounds like you are doing very well for year 1. Keep at it!
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Gap Wedge cordug is on a distinguished road cordug's Avatar
    Not sure why I'm posting this because I am sure I wil get allot of reply stating how that I must be not following rules or using toe wedges to get low scores, but here it goes..

I've been in the miltitary for 18 years and never had the time to take up golf. I've spent allot of time in Petawawa and had several overseas tours including Afghanistan. I moved to Ottawa two years ago and my brother took me out golfing last summer and I fell in love with it. I golfed a few times last summer and during the winter I set up a net in my basement and read every book I could get my hands on. This is my first full year playing golf. I set goals for the summer like breaking 100 for the first time and such. Long story short I have surpassed what I could have imagined for my first year.
    So far this year I have played over 60 rounds of golf. ( I am an EG member) I broke the 100 mark, then the 90 mark and now the 85 mark. Not every round is good but I consistently shoot in the 90's and I feel more confident in getting my irons closer evey time I go out. I use golfingrecord.com to record my games and it has me listed now as a 18 handicap based on my best 10 of my last 20 games...
    I know I will continue to play and improve on my game.
    I love everything about golf. I respect the rules and I really enjoy playing as many new courses as I can.

Here are my stats (57 recorded rounds this year)

Strokes by par

Breaks down the number of birdies, pars, etc... you have made for each par type.
    The figures on the right are the cumulative totals.
    For example, the cumulative figure for the BOGEY column shows how many holes you have achieved BOGEY or BETTER.

AverageBirdieParBogeyDouble Bogey3 Over4+ Over
    PAR 325010294.1222616311117460234152491250
    PAR 453029455.566669752042791644434949238530
    PAR 521913746.278846548113557192192118219

Here is my Handicap page

DateCourseParSSSSlopeStrokesOver SSSStroke
    Adjusted
    Slope
    Adjusted
    96%
    23 Jul 07Hammond72691168414.814.814.413.8
    02 Jul 07Presscott GOLF CLUB WHITE70671158215.215.214.914.3
    07 Jul 07Pine View71701178717.317.316.716.0
    13 Jul 07Pine View71701178818.318.317.717.0
    01 Jul 07Doon Valley - Blue Tees72691158718.318.318.017.3
    03 Jul 07Hammond72691169121.820.820.319.5
    08 Jul 07Manderley on the Green /Central &North72701299424.223.220.319.5
    18 Jun 07Bearbrook Golf Club72661088619.719.720.619.8
    21 Jul 07Hammond72691169121.821.821.220.4
    14 Jul 07Poplar Grove Golf Course White Red course707111094232222.621.7
    Averages7169115.988.419.419.118.717.9

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Started 4

years ago--played a total of 216 games--no lessons--first year and first game 122 strokes. Got down to around 100 fairly quickly--by the middle of second year. Last year broke 90 twice and shot around 95-96. This year consistanly much closer to 90 and broke 90 ---4 times to date.

I think your going to find it harder to get below 90 than it is to get below 100. In my opinion if you concentrate more on your short game I think your scores will drop much quicker.

One more thing---the only person that will beat you at this game is "yourself"

Oh--one more thing--most of us here have a high handicap---it's the age factor--I'm 62 Have fun.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

3 Wood smithers40 is on a distinguished road
    when i first started i was horrible because i thought golf was really dumb then i started to get in it and i broke 90 my first year at it...then i played a year of just consistant high 80'slow 90's and then something clicked last year as i went from a 13 handicap to a 3...and this year my 4th or 5th year in golf im a 1.7 at kanata lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by smithers40 View Post
    when i first started i was horrible because i thought golf was really dumb then i started to get in it and i broke 90 my first year at it...then i played a year of just consistant high 80'slow 90's and then something clicked last year as i went from a 13 handicap to a 3...and this year my 4th or 5th year in golf im a 1.7 at kanata lakes.

Right on! Nice Handicap !

Par moochie is on a distinguished road moochie's Avatar
    I have been playing on and off for 5 years but only play maybe 12 rounds per year. I shoot around 100 on a good day but may shoot 110 the next.

My brother plays once a year and shoots in the low 90s.

Good thing I got the looks.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I was never really interested in golf until one of my friends insisted I come out and try it. Played my first round at Calabogie and shot 118. Kind of enjoyed it, figured I had to try it again to make sure. Went out to Pakenham and shot 123, went straight to Sports Experts after the round and bought my first set. Thought to myself there was no way this game was going to get the better of me. I actually almost got into the 70s (low round was 84 the first year, broke into the 70s, 78, in July of my second season) by the end of my first year of playing. The rest is history.

BTW, the game today is still getting the best of me. And I've been playing for 6 years.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Took me several years to break 90. That kind of improvement seems just nuts. What did you get for Xmas the next year?
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    Took me several years to break 90. That kind of improvement seems just nuts. What did you get for Xmas the next year?
    Surprisingly I never got anything much golf related for any Christmas since I've been playing. Just the odd dozen balls here and there and little gadgets that the family thinks I will enjoy.

I prefer to pick out my own stuff as opposed to letting others do it. Although, perhpas a Scotty may be on the Christmas list this year, I've been dying to get another one.

Of course, if your question was directed at me Dan.

But as for the improvement, once I get addicted to something there is no stopping me. I haven't played less than 60 rounds in a season since my first year. There was lots of devoted practice time at the range that first season.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Started (properly) in 2003 with a 124 and had carded a 105 by the end of the year.

Year 2 I was gunning to break 100 and after quite a few close ones finally managed a 99.

Year 3 I strugged early on but managed to card 5 of 15 rounds below 100 with a best of 91 (albeit at an easy course).

Year 4 (last year) 7 of my 15 rounds were below 100 with a best of 92.

This year I have made a considerable improvement and so far through 7 rounds have only had 1 over 100 (a failed experiment) but have narrowly missed breaking 90 on 5 separate occasions. My tee shots and approach play is light years better than any other year but I am really struggling with putting.

It's amazing I can remember setting up to 15 footers in my first year, lying 7 already and just stroking them in, now I look at 15 footers for par and birdie miss by a mile, it's all mental and I am working on taking each putt as a ball, a putter, a patch of grass and a hole. I clearly suffer from thoughts like "this is for birdie, don't leave it short" and then blow the ball 8 feet past, by the time I set up for my 8 foot comebacker I am a nervous wreck.

My HCP is at 23 right now and dropping, I only get 15 rounds in a year so it is a slow process for me, but I am really enjoying the challenge.

Good luck with your game.

3 Wood smithers40 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by cordug View Post
    Right on! Nice Handicap !
    Hey man thanks it took a lot of practise to finally get down to the numbers im shooting now...just for intance the last 3 weeks i didn't break 80 then this week ive been like 71-70-72-76...crazy game once u get everything working!

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Don't know if I should go here but----1.7 HC in 4 years??????
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Cordug. I though i'm organized keep score cards, Fairway, putts ... keep track of what i do, but you are way in details which very cool though i should do that too.

My goal is breaking 90 this season. today i played 4 somes for dinner and drink, a little gambling on the side make me played better, take times before shot, more careful, more save, i break 100 again. my score was 94. 2 birdies, 2 pars.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLFEROLIC View Post
    Cordug. I though i'm organized keep score cards, Fairway, putts ... keep track of what i do, but you are way in details which very cool though i should do that too.

My goal is breaking 90 this season. today i played 4 somes for dinner and drink, a little gambling on the side make me played better, take times before shot, more careful, more save, i break 100 again. my score was 94. 2 birdies, 2 pars.
    It's really easy to keep stats. I use the web site golfingrecord.com. It was free but recently they started charging 12.95 for 100 credits (1 credtit to record a round).
    Pretty good site you can compare and share with friends too.

Pitching Wedge Golftime is on a distinguished road
    I remember a Golf Digest article on the topic of rate of improvement. They created a simple formula to measure it. Take you handicap at the start of a season and multiply it by 2 and at the end of a season multiply it by three. This gives you an improvement score.
    Start of season 36 x 2 = 72
    End of season 28 x 3 = 84
    Score = -12

Start of season 20 x 2 = 40
    End of season 12 x 3 = 36
    Score = 4
    Both players improved their handicap by 8 but the player who started at the 20 improved 'more'. This tries to take into account the difficulty improving when you have a lower baseline. I'm not sure if the 2 and 3 multipliers are exact but they are in the ballpark.

My first score was 56 for nine holes on a course of about 2,400 yards. It took about 12 years to break 80. Low round was a 75 (with a triple) at the old IBM course.
    Aim at nothing and you will hit it every time.

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Wow! I must say you seem particularly adept at this game. Must be a lot of natural talent out there. I have tried hard, tend to play one to two games a week or one game and range time. One day my swing will feel good and my putter will be unbelievably awful. Then the reverse. If I could get it all together that would be amazing. 3 years for me, under 90 once. Last year was shooting in the 90s, this year so far mainly over 100 last time out 95 I mess with my swing too much. Need to just trust it and not get so technical.

This game is soooooooooooooo d*** frustrating.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cordug View Post
    Not sure why I'm posting this because I am sure I wil get allot of reply stating how that I must be not following rules or using toe wedges to get low scores, but here it goes..
    not really, if you try hard that's perfectly reasonable. All that's required to make the low 80s is to not lose any balls, have reasonable length, poke the ball in the direction of the green most of the time and some touch with the short game.

I have golfed my whole life on and off. Most of my rounds were not very flattering. Started going out with a regular foursome with a mission to make some real scores and got my game into the 80s that year with probably a coulpe low rounds, can't recall. We tried to get out once a week. By the third year I was low 80s and dropping, then I stopped playing. I was (we all were) deadly serious about every stroke when we played.

Of course I had a lifetime of golf behind me leading up to that.

I haven't reclaimed the focus or game after being back into it for a few years, even though in some ways I've never been better and I play a lot more often. I've gotten on a couple of runs and thought there was no looking back, but the 70s continue to elude me, so far...

Hey GEOFF. that's crazy score on your first year.
    what were the things that's stopping you from getting a low score on your first year? here's question for you and other who've been there done that.

Right now i'm consider myself as learning mode. My favourite club is the driver. i don't pay much attention to my score when i'm playing. i play and select club acording to distance, eventhough it's not my favourite club (such as 3 wood) i wann take that chance to play and learn it ( ofcourse screw up often, eventhough i got advise to stay away from the club that i don't like)
    I approach the pin instead of the green, even when there's no green to work with, i chip with the club face open create spin slide it it's hard but work sometimes if it wasn't you know what happend i take too much risk while playing. my pal quote :"all these things are not suitable for my level which keep my score hight", but. if i don't take that chance to learn i'd never learn it.
    and when i'm screw up, trust me I screw up good.

Anyways there's progress even though it's slow, at the beginning of the "rookie" season my handicap was 35.6 now it's in 20 range, i broke 100 last month, and now i'm in 90 and staying there. will see how's things come.

should i try to simplelize my game to get a lower score?

Driver Adska is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Don't know if I should go here but----1.7 HC in 4 years??????

It can be done!

7 Wood Newbie is on a distinguished road
    Golferolic I shot 84 yesterday at Chateau Cartier. This is my firt year of golf. I recommend taking lessons, reading Dave Peltz's short game bible and practice, practice practice! I took up the game like Geoff did. Once I get committed that is all I can think about. Holy crap I was chipping in the office yesterday hitting the ball against the cubicle dividers.
    Last edited by Newbie; 08-08-2007 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Spelling

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    The more you play, the better you get to know yourself, what you are capable of and when you can go for it. There are many "secrets" but what seems to work for me is (1) keep it in the fairway. Better a 190-200 yard drive with a clear view of the green/next landing area than a chip out from the woods 240 yards down range. (2) work on the chipping/pitching. It is really a practice and feel thing. Learn what each of the short clubs will do, and that can only be achieved with practice. You need to be able to feel comfortable over the short < 100 yd shots to have any success. (3) putting is essential, again work on the short ones as all strokes are of equal value but if you can chip close or lag it up to within 3 feet or so then you have a chance at par, but no worse than a bogey, and that = 90 on most courses. I keep stats too and judge my performance based on chipping within 6 feet and pitching within 10. My lag putting has been great the last 4-5 rounds but I have to get much closer to the pin on the approaches to improve my score. This is my third full year of golf (age 56) with 10 or more rounds a year. First year was in the high 90's. Last year (65 rounds) 25% or my rounds were in the 80's, and 25% were in the 100's. This year (38 rounds) only 2 in the 100's and one was the first round of the year in Myrtle Beach, 33% in the 80's with most of the 90's in the 90-95 range. I surprise myself sometimes at how poorly I play and still shoot in the low 90's. It is usually as a result of one or two poor holes where I loose it, either mentally or physically. The rest of the time I play just below bogey golf. I know most of the most frequent contributers to this forum play a lot more, and have more talent, but I am happy to get what I get with what I got.

4 Iron Ditty_72 is on a distinguished road
    I started playing when I was 9 years old. When I was 11, I shot a 99 in a tournament to break 100 for the first time. When I was 13, I shot an 86 in a tournament to break 90 for the first time. When I was 15, I shot a 78, followed by a 72 and a 76 the next 2 days... I dunno what happened to me during that stretch. When I was 17, just a couple weeks ago, I shot 69 to break 70 for the first time. Right now I'm battling to get back in the 60s, I'm usually sitting somewhere around the mid-high 70s. Maybe if this trend continues, I'll break 60 when I'm 19

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Wink Age Limit

Hey Dan, isn't there an age limit on this forum? No way we can compete, even storytelling, with Junior!

Seriously, congrats Ditty. If I were your dad/granddad, I'd encourage you to take a scholarship to some southern US college and get a free education and a life time of experiences with your talent. Maybe your game would improve faster playing 12 months a year under ideal conditions. See ya in the Sports Section.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLFEROLIC View Post
    Hey GEOFF. that's crazy score on your first year.
    what were the things that's stopping you from getting a low score on your first year? here's question for you and other who've been there done that.

Right now i'm consider myself as learning mode. My favourite club is the driver. i don't pay much attention to my score when i'm playing. i play and select club acording to distance, eventhough it's not my favourite club (such as 3 wood) i wann take that chance to play and learn it ( ofcourse screw up often, eventhough i got advise to stay away from the club that i don't like)
    I approach the pin instead of the green, even when there's no green to work with, i chip with the club face open create spin slide it it's hard but work sometimes if it wasn't you know what happend i take too much risk while playing. my pal quote :"all these things are not suitable for my level which keep my score hight", but. if i don't take that chance to learn i'd never learn it.
    and when i'm screw up, trust me I screw up good.

Anyways there's progress even though it's slow, at the beginning of the "rookie" season my handicap was 35.6 now it's in 20 range, i broke 100 last month, and now i'm in 90 and staying there. will see how's things come.

should i try to simplelize my game to get a lower score?
    Sorry it took so long to respond to this. Not sure how I missed it.

Golf is a game of mistakes. And what I mean by that is, the person who makes the least amount of mistakes any given day will post the best score. So its all fine and good that you are trying the hard shots (going after pins, open face greenside shots, etc) I'd strongly suggest to keep those shots for the range. Until your skill level gets better, the safest the play the better it will be for you. Even to this day I aim at the centre of the green if a flagstick is tucked in a corner. What's the point? If you are trying to make your best possible score you have to use your head. There will be times on the course when its time to attack and times to play it smart. But until you can get to a level where your swing is repeatable and have consistently good ball striking the safe way is the way to go. That's what I did my first season. Why put yourself in a bad position when you might not have the confidence or skill to pull off a certain type of shot. Go the range or a short game practice area, step on your ball, bury it in grass. That is the time to practice those type of shots, so when you do see them on the course you'll know what to do.

Good luck with your improvement.

Thread Information