100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    I was not trying to say that Emery is anywhere near Luongo or Brodeur, i was just saying we could talk all day about what ifs and what we would like to see happen, but that's not really getting us anywhere. I don't think there is anyway that Ottawa would have signed Toskala, the Sens have talked repeatedly about how Emery is their #1 guy, can't we stop the speculation about what they really think about him.

Were Nabokov and Toskala really a tandem, or was Toskala just playing when Nabokov was injured? I don't know much about the Sharks to be honest.
    Well signing him before he went into arbitration says something about what they think of him. 100% guaranteed that he would have got more money through arbitration, so they obviously didn't think they should pay more than they offered to him. He just happened to agree to their offer.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    Well signing him before he went into arbitration says something about what they think of him. 100% guaranteed that he would have got more money through arbitration, so they obviously didn't think they should pay more than they offered to him. He just happened to agree to their offer.
    Do you know anything about contracts??? If the Devils and Brodeur are going to arbitration, dont' you think the Devils would want to sign him for as little as possible? You deserve a million !

So you think GM's sit there for contract discussions saying, "What is this guy worth, because i will not pay less than 100% of his full worth!" Nope, its more like "What is the least we can pay for him, so we can use the rest of the money for other players"

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    arbitration, by all accounts of everything I have read is an ugly process and a lot of people like to avoid it. Imagine going into your review and having your boss hack on you about how you don't deserve a raise and point our all your faults and weaknesses. Doesn't sound like a lot of fun and then you are all expected to go back to work and like nothing happened. In addition, arbitration is usually a 1 year contract. Emery got a 3 year deal.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    .......and God knows that Sens management could 'hack' on Ray. The Tyson mask, the Oversleeping and getting into an accident on the way to the airport, etc. etc. etc.

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    A few things...
    -If Murray didn't like Corvo why was he on PP#1 with Redden throughout the playoffs (minus the 3rd period of game 5)? and did Joe tell you he doesn't like Ottawa?
    -someone already mentioned that Florida turned down a very lopsided deal because Martin/Keenan wouldn't trade with Ottawa (didn't want Luongo in the East they said)
    -this playoffs Brodeur said in an interview that Emery reminded him of himself, a very big compliment coming from Marty.
    -Sure Murray had an offer for Reds, but hey, he earned the right to get that NMC in his contract and he obviously does like Ottawa. Murray is likely now using this as leverage to try to extend him for a lower salary.

anyway, you're right, there's no point arguing with Leafs fans that know nothing about this team. Its like Sens fans harping on McCabe or Gill...most just do it because thats what everyone else does without ever actually watching them play.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    I personally know 3 guys who play for the sens (without naming names) who are shocked by the signing. They can't believe that emery and his agent would agree to a deal like this.

Considering what the goalies for TOR, NYI and NYR got emery was in line for a $3.75-4.25mil 1 year contract had this gone to arbitration. This deal locks him up for 3 years and each year he is making less than what he would have gotten through arb. How is this not an amazing deal for ottawa? Had Emery taken the 4mil 1 year contract and done well this year as well... he would get another raise next year, a big one! I am a little surprised that his agent would agree to this deal.

For those of you saying you would rather have turco, he makes almost 6mil a year!!! Gerber was a mistake but I'm almost certain he will be sent down this year to avoid him counting against the cap. If they can trade him for a draft pick, I would take it in a second.

This is a horrible move by emery and his camp and a great signing by the sens. Also, what makes anyone think the sens even had a shot at getting R.L from FLA? I heard a few things from a few friends and they tried, they just didn't want him in the east. To think Ottawa didn't try to get the best goalie in the NHL on their team is a nonsense

and if emery took a 1 year deal and had a crappy year, he'd be looking at way less next year. that is always the gamble.

I don't think this is so bad for Ray. He got similar to what Cam Ward got last year. It is a good deal for both IMHO.

he took the deal with less risk and will make almost 10m. if he has a good 3 years he will cash in as he will be a UFA by then.

Emery also indicated he liked ottawa and they have a good team. Nice to here. Maybe he took a small home town discount to stay here.

3 Wood smithers40 is on a distinguished road
    Hes not a number one goalie...not yet anyways...i would take gerber over him...yeh gerber had a rough start but so did the whole team...i dont see how everyone can just forget that emery cost us the anaheim series with some of those goals...nobody let lalime away with those goals and he had 10 times the stats emery does...and emery is nothing but trouble in the future...the drugs and heavy drinking has already started and the troubles he brings are not worth his abilities...gerber would be the way to go this year...i guarantee that he is working hard on his game and will be ready come september

Quote Originally Posted by smithers40 View Post
    Hes not a number one goalie...not yet anyways...i would take gerber over him...yeh gerber had a rough start but so did the whole team...i dont see how everyone can just forget that emery cost us the anaheim series with some of those goals...nobody let lalime away with those goals and he had 10 times the stats emery does...and emery is nothing but trouble in the future...the drugs and heavy drinking has already started and the troubles he brings are not worth his abilities...gerber would be the way to go this year...i guarantee that he is working hard on his game and will be ready come september
    no offense, but i am glad that you aren't the GM of the Sens. Emery has proven that he is and should be the #1 goalie. How can anybody say Emery cost the Sens the Stanley Cup?? The Sens scored 11 goals TOTAL in 5 games, not really what you would call a Stanley Cup winning offense! Even when the Devils won in 2003, they scored 19 in 7 games, and that's with Brodeur in net.

The Sens averaged 3.2 goals/game in the first 3 series, then averaged only 2.2 goals/game in the finals. Sure you can say that Emery didn't play as good in the finals as the first 3 series, but i would think you can fault the offence a lot easier than you can fault him.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Do you know anything about contracts??? If the Devils and Brodeur are going to arbitration, dont' you think the Devils would want to sign him for as little as possible? You deserve a million !

So you think GM's sit there for contract discussions saying, "What is this guy worth, because i will not pay less than 100% of his full worth!" Nope, its more like "What is the least we can pay for him, so we can use the rest of the money for other players"

Uhhh...What do you think I said? They signed him before arbitration so they wouldn't have to pay market value for him.

Did you even read my post?

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by smithers40 View Post
    smithers, unless you have proof of such allegations (and by proof I don't mean what is "alledgedly" said by reporters in the papers or what you heard from a friend) please refrain from posting such statements.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfer_Gofer View Post
    overpaid for a back up goalie if you ask me... 2 goalies costing the sens over 6 million... murray shoulda let emery go without a fight and make gerber step up and earn his 3 mil a year....
    bruuuuuuuuuutal deal
    I completely agree with the OPPOSITE of everything you said here.

i know ppl who have been at his house where they were doin lines so thats not "alligations" just so you know...i know a lot of ppl who are very close to a lot of players! and how do you not feel like emery let us down in the finals? anytime we would get any momentum he would let in a ty goal and kill it...every time it was like clockwork

Friend of a friend rumours and knowing people who know players are allegations.

You weren't there, so it is all hearsay.

And lets just pretend for a second that it is true, can you please point to the problems that it caused last year? I don't remember any games being lost because Ray might have been hungover or jonesing for a fix.....

you dont think him missing the plane to a playoff game had anything to do with something like that? come on professionals dont miss their flights...thats just dumb...and a friend...not a friend of a friend...i have nothin against him as a goalie i just dont think hes ready YET...andi still believe gerber has to stick around incase he crashes this year with the pressure

Birdie Sensgirl is on a distinguished road Sensgirl's Avatar
    The night he missed the flight, I was watching the News and they were interviewing him on the queensway as he was in a fender bender with his Hummer

The Sens would be stupid to put Gerber down to save salary. Cutting of your nose to spite you face....Gerber is a quality goalie, same quality as Emery, and having 2 good goalies will work better than Emery with a rookie with no experience.

I agree. I expect more from Gerber and I think he will deliver more this year. He will be a solid backup for Emery.

solid backup...haha give it 20 games and the ottawa senators will have a new starting goalie.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post

Gerber was a mistake but I'm almost certain he will be sent down this year to avoid him counting against the cap.
    The problem with this if Emery gets hurt and they need Gerber hewould need to clear waivers and that's not about to happen. They have a major problem on their hands with this salary.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Hybrid harbacostal is on a distinguished road
    Gerber was playing on a new team with a defence core that had lost two of thier top six players, Chara and Pothier. Chara was a horse who was playing almost 30 minutes a night...which is a quarter of all of the ice time for the D. At the start of the year he stank it up no doubt. At the end of the year after he had time to adjust to his new surroundings and teammates he was fine, good in fact.
    Emery is a young goalie with some upside. He should get better with time. He is very athletic. He just needs to become more technically sound. If Brodeur is giving someone a vote of confidence you may want to trust his opinion.
    Pheonix is under the minimum cap number right now so I'd expect Gerber to be on his way there some time soon for about a bag of pucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    The problem with this if Emery gets hurt and they need Gerber hewould need to clear waivers and that's not about to happen. They have a major problem on their hands with this salary.
    Ya but you can say this about almost any team. They have some young goalies like Glass and Guard who deserve their chance to back-up Emery. They can't keep Gerber around, just in case Emery gets hurt, its not like he's Hasek who is injury prone.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Ya but you can say this about almost any team. They have some young goalies like Glass and Guard who deserve their chance to back-up Emery. They can't keep Gerber around, just in case Emery gets hurt, its not like he's Hasek who is injury prone.
    I'm not suggesting keeping Gerber in case Emery gets hurt.
    What I am saying is sending him to the minors is not an option because if they need to call him back up he will have to clear waivers.
    No matter how you slice it, the Sens are going to have to eat part of Gerbers salary so they can move him.

He would probably have to clear waivers on the way down. I don't think the waivers are an issue though, since if teams are not taking him now at his salary, then its likely they won't take him on the waiver wire, even if they can get him without giving up anything for him.

So here's my take on this. The Sens are at $45M against a $50M cap. There is room to manouever still, though I think they are short a few bodies right now.

Gerber would like to be moved, but right now his price is be a bit rich for most teams. If he has a good start to the season and another team runs into goalie problems, which will likely happen, then he will be a lot easier to move. As I said before, there are a number of teams who have $6-7M tied up in two goalies, though its usually $6M for 1 and just under $1M for the other.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I have a feeling that around December/January you will see Gerber's stock go up for a few teams..... Murray is not going to panic, he is more worried about the signings for next year at this point and will undoubtedly do what is right for the organization.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    He would probably have to clear waivers on the way down. I don't think the waivers are an issue though, since if teams are not taking him now at his salary, then its likely they won't take him on the waiver wire, even if they can get him without giving up anything for him.
    He would need to clear waviers going up or down. If the Sens send him down he is on waivers for 24 hrs and any team can claim him and his ridiculous salary. If he is called back up he needs to clear waivers again, and if he gets picked up on waivers going back up the Sens eat 50% of his salary.
    Gerber will not be going to the minors.
    I agree with you that Murray will probably wait it out until a team is in desperate need of a goalie and deal him then.

Well, Kelly Guard is no longer an Ottawa Senator, he never received a qualifying offer and is an Unrestricted Free Agent. And if you bring up Glass as the back up you now have NOBODY on the farm.

Now, there is a chance that a team could take Gerber on the way down, but that would be at full salary. Chances are, he would be picked up from waivers if he was ever called back up, because then the Sens woould then be on the hook for half his salary. And Gerber at $1.8 mil would be a good deal for many teams.

Indio, you hit the nail on the head. Dec/Jan when teams are on the bubble, he'll have 15 or so games played and he'll be marketable. By then, we may need him. I'm all for keeping him around, esp after seeing what Emery signed for.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    If the Sens send Gerber down at the start of the season and someone takes him off of waivers they are on the hook for his full salary - mission accomplished! If he clears waivers on the way down and Emery gets hurt during the season, Gerber can be called up on Emergency Recall and after the injury situation is over he is sent down without having to clear waivers.......the only downside to starting Gerber in the minors is that if Emery stinks the joint out Gerber will have to clear waivers on a non-emergency recall and then the Sens would be on the hook for half of his salary which would also count against the cap

Thread Information