CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    beatnik58

straight but no distance

I've re-learned my golf swing. Technically much better and feels effortless.

I'm hitting straight 90% of the time but very short, particularly with my irons which are ADVP oversized graphites. I'm getting 230-260 off the tee with a non-brand name driver but I can only hit a 6 iron about 120 yards.

Any suggestions?

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    What's your age bracket, re. flexability??

What's your degree of athleticism, fitness etc.?

beatnik58
    early 40s

fairly fit, fairly flexible

duffer golfer, self taught in my twenties but never took the game seriously

Putter Leftie4U is on a distinguished road
    This is also my problem. I am told by golf golfers that my hips are turning too much hence the reason for no distance. Does anyone has a good drill to correct this problem.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar

Feet together drill

Quote Originally Posted by Leftie4U
    This is also my problem. I am told by golf golfers that my hips are turning too much hence the reason for no distance. Does anyone has a good drill to correct this problem.
    You could try the feet-together drill and see if that helps. You simply swing with a mid or short iron keeping your feet and knees together. A really good drill that helps slow down the tempo, keep the lower body quiet and teaches you to swing in balance. I use it for all clubs right up to the driver when I start out at the range, and on some days I can hit the ball almost as well as my normal swing.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by beatnik58
    I'm hitting straight 90% of the time but very short, particularly with my irons which are ADVP oversized graphites. I'm getting 230-260 off the tee with a non-brand name driver but I can only hit a 6 iron about 120 yards.
    Any suggestions?
    If your golf swing is technically much better, and you are hitting the ball straight 90% of the time, then:
    1. the club face is square to the target line at separation from the ball.
    2. the path of you club head to the ball is from the inside,
    3. your hands are ahead of the ball at impact.

Without these three characteristics, one cannot hit the ball straight. Now, my current stats show that I hit the ball straight 79% of the time, which means I hit the middle half of the fairway or the middle half of the green to be considered straight. My carry distance with the driver is in the same range as yours. You describe yourself as a "duffer", whereas my current handicap factor is +0.7. If I hit the ball straight "90%" of the time, then there is a good possibility that my factor would be even less. My point is that in order to be able to offer meaningful suggestions as to how to help you improve your swing, whether with woods or irons, the picture that you paint of your swing and the results, must be crystal clear.

Does your ball start straight and fly straight? or,
    Does it start off in one direction and curve back to the intended target line, across the target line or NOT back to the target line?
    Is the ball flight high or low?
    Do you take a divot with the irons?
    Do you contact the ball fat or thin, on occasions?
    Where on the clubface does the ball make contact?

The answers to these questions will help us "see" your swing, without seeing you swing, and then perhaps we may be able to offer the kinds of suggestions or drills that will help.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    I just found out a great way to describe a typical swing (in terms of what BC MIST is asking). Get some impact tape and do an honest session at the range.

I found:
    1 - I lost distance but gained accuracy: Basically, I started hitting the sweet spot on each club about 4/5. This was due to a slowed down swing that allowed me to get the entire body in line with my desired swing plane. I hit about 15-20 balls with each club in my bag (not 3i 4i, since I am not confident with those at all).

2 - I was compensating for a poor swing plane by aligning my setup well right (I'm a slicing lefty): Because I wasn't hitting the ball with the right part of the clubface, I was slicing HARD left off the tee and on some longer iron shots. The impact dispersal pattern on my impact tape allowed me to see that I was seriously chaotic in my contact pattern, and gave me the desire to correct the fundamental flaws in my game.

3 - Results: I did this exercise once, for about 190 balls. Since, I played two rounds, and scored very well (100, then 87). My index is 22.0, which is crappy, but it's also very valuable in terms of understanding where my game is. I am not kidding myself and saying I am a good golfer, but I also don't call myself a duffer anymore. I find it's common to downplay one's ability to the point where it may actually hinder your progress at the game. Saying "I suck" will promote yourself to suck. Being realistic is always best.

Anyways, I'm certainly not a teaching pro, but I hope you try the impact tape thing. It's a good way to develop an understanding of what you're doing right and wrong.

Cheers,
    Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

87!!!???
    Oh yeah, now I remember that day. Viscious Thunderstroms made us quit after the 12th hole too!!

Chimo Dano,

Quote Originally Posted by faldo
    87!!!???
    Oh yeah, now I remember that day. Viscious Thunderstroms made us quit after the 12th hole too!!

Chimo Dano,

It was this past Sunday, at Dragonfly at Renfrew. Course familiarity made it possible for me to relax and focus on my actual shot-making. They also "encourage" you to BYOB, so it takes a lot of mental anguish ($50+ on beer for me per round) out of the game.....

George, any chance of hitching a ride up to Greensmere with ya? My buddy Shawn is going to be on the other side of the province apparently, although he will show for the event. In either case, I totally welcome your shots at me, since you've been unfortunate enough to play with me so often.....

Cheers,
    Dan

RIDE?? Sure, no problemo amigo. Unless you're going to go over every last shot from that magical round!!
    See you out front at 6.45.

Black coffee svp

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by beatnik58

Any suggestions?
    Is 230-260 the distance you fly the ball or how far it stops from the tee deck?

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    A few years ago, back problems made me change my swing. I started to swing smoother and easier. I also hit it straighter but 1 to 1.5 clubs shorter. When I bought new irons, I switched from firm shafts to regular and gained back most of the distance. Might be worth having your swing speed checked. You may have a similar problem.

Quote Originally Posted by faldo
    RIDE?? Sure, no problemo amigo. Unless you're going to go over every last shot from that magical round!!
    See you out front at 6.45.

Black coffee svp
    No sugar no cream, roger that!!! Don't worry, I don't remember most of the shots from my magical round....

Dan

Thread Information