100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter smark_ca is on a distinguished road

Angry Unwanted Draw...

Within the last month I have started to draw the ball anywhere from a 10 yrd draw up to a 40 yrd draw. I have tried everything from changing my stance to moving the ball back in my setup but I just can't cure the draw. If anyone has any ideas what my problem might be please help me out...I am willing to try anything to get the ball back into the fairway!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Hmm. 40 yards = hook BTW.

Are you by any chance coming from the inside more than you used to?

If it's really bad, it may also be that you are swinging way over the top with a close face.

I'd look for some drills that promote/reinforce a square swing path.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    dbleber:
    Check your grip. You may have to strong of a grip. Also. check your take way. If you notice yourself taking the club back inside right away, you may be swing around your body to much. Look through past post on swing paths, there are some good drills in there that may help you.
    Denny

3 Iron ros_bif is on a distinguished road ros_bif's Avatar
    make sure your downswing isn't going from outside to inside as it crossed the ball...this closes the face, and hooks...

to make sure your swing path is correct, you can put two sticks in the ground, setup so that there is enough room to swing a proper backswing and follow through, but that you hit the sticks with your club if you are offline....

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smark_ca
    Within the last month I have started to draw the ball anywhere from a 10 yrd draw up to a 40 yrd draw. I have tried everything from changing my stance to moving the ball back in my setup but I just can't cure the draw. If anyone has any ideas what my problem might be please help me out...I am willing to try anything to get the ball back into the fairway!

Is your ball starting right or left of the target before hooking. Your swing path dictates where the ball starts. Face angle dictates the effect on the ball.

Swing path:

1-Out to in swing = ball starts left.
    2-In to out swing = ball starts right

Face angle at impact:

1-Open face = fade or slice
    2-closed face = draw (10 yards ) or hook (40 yard )

You obviously have a closed face angle at impact but we can’t help you if we don’t know your swing path.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    I've noticed that when I grip the club while the clubhead is on the ground, I tend to get a closed clubface as a result. Someone posted a great grip-tip link in here a while ago, which really helped. Now I go my gripping with the club in the air, and the unwanted draw is gone!

Here's the Grip Tip

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Putter smark_ca is on a distinguished road
    I actully played yesterday and my playing parnter noticed that I had a strong grip and quick hands. In regards to my ball flight, it starts on target then trails off left. I seem to be able to control the draw for a couple holes then back comes the 30 - 40 yard draw(hook). Thanks for the link 'Grip Tip' broken27, I am going to try and start putting that into my setup routine....

3 Wood mkemila is on a distinguished road mkemila's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    dbleber:
    Check your grip. You may have to strong of a grip. Also. check your take way. If you notice yourself taking the club back inside right away, you may be swing around your body to much. Look through past post on swing paths, there are some good drills in there that may help you.
    Denny

I have to concur with dbleber, I started doing the same thing and lucked out that I caught myself doing it!

Thread Information