+ Reply to Thread
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Sergio right on track

Sergio Garcia kept his emotions in check at the British Open, staying right on course for that elusive major title Saturday.

More...

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    This is exciting, Sergio is on 18, needs a Par to win!
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    Now it's a four hole playoff between Sergio and Padraig.

Dave

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    Paddy will prevail.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Man I love this tournament, what a finish!

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Looks like his train derailed...

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I just got finished watching the Open on the PVR.

Wow, talk about exciting finishes. I had no idea who was going to win.

I love the 18th. Even without the crazy rough it's still an amazing hole. I thought for a second Harrington's tee shot on the 72nd was going to go across the bridge. You've got to love a hole where every score from birdie to triple is a distinct possibility.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    I love the 18th. Even without the crazy rough it's still an amazing hole. I thought for a second Harrington's tee shot on the 72nd was going to go across the bridge. You've got to love a hole where every score from birdie to triple is a distinct possibility.
    I think it's my favourite hole in tournament golf. So much on the line, and so much in play. Just a great, great hole.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    Looks like his train derailed...

Put yourself in his shoes for a second and imagined what went through his mind.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    It was win-win for me. Paddy and Sergio are two of my favourite golfers (I am a fellow European). While I am elated for Pads, I am gutted for Sergio, putting has always been his weakness and yet again, after solid approach play his flatstick work was left wanting again.

Great that a "Euro" won. That was a brilliant tournament with so much action, the PGA championship will have to be amazing to top that.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    that's a heartbreaker, even after the cup drolling episode, I have to admit,. I was rooting for him. I think the writing is on the wall tho, what you have is the result of what may have been a cocly kid that hits a world class ball but probably never paid as much attention to putting, and in the heat of the moment it lets him down. He has the skill, if he puts his mind to it I think the top 5 could become the top 6.

Just an armchair observation, what a game.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    The same thing that goes through my damned mind on every damned shot for every damned round.

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Put yourself in his shoes for a second and imagined what went through his mind.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Just came in---WHO WON ?
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Need a Caddy golfinteg is on a distinguished road golfinteg's Avatar
    "It's funny how some guys hit the pin and go a foot," Garcia said. "You know what's the saddest thing about it? It's not the first time. So I don't know, I'm playing against a lot of guys out there, more than the field."...."

At his post game interview, Sergio looks like a troubled soul. He got to exorcised the demons of his past else they will haunt his nights and dog his days. He is a very gifted player my heart goes out to him.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Even though Sergio was the leader after three rounds, I think Padraig played a better round today and the win was well deserved.

Need a Caddy golfinteg is on a distinguished road golfinteg's Avatar
    Totally agreed. What amazed me is that he got burnt twice and win it. Irish eyes are smiling and the Leperchauns are dancing.
    Golf is the Total System Integration of............The Sum of All Parts............

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    If that ball would have traveled all the way across that bridge, how many times do you think you would have seen it replayed again and again? He at least should have called it going across that bridge from the tee before hand like Moe Norman

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    You gotta give props to both guys. Sergio was one putt shy of going wire-to-wire in a major, and even with those putts burning the lips at the end, he putted so much better than he ever has (outside of the Ryder Cup). Even though he ultimately lost, if you compare his performance to guys like Tiger, Phil, Vijay, Ernie, etc., he had a magnificent tournament. In most professional sports 27 would be considered "long in the tooth", but in golf-years Sergio's still heading into his prime. He'll win the big one before long.

Padraig deserves a ton of praise for just hanging in there. His double on 18 would have killed most guys, especially after playing as well as he did for the rest of the round. He looked so calm and poised in the playoff, and his play with hybrid off the tee on 18 the second time around was brilliant. He took the big number out of the equation and made Sergio come after him.

A brilliant finish to an amazing tournament. The R&A and the staff at Carnoustie should be commended for learning their lesson from 1999. Many more thrills, and much less carnage.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    Ya, Sergio had a rough patch but stuck to his game and finished strong. I really thought he was going to make that putt on the 18th, I think he gave it a good stroke, just a slight misread.

Thread Information