CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oversize Driver

Ty Webb

Oversize Driver

I recently purchased a Bang Mellow Yellow driver. This has helped my game dramatically as I hit it further and straighter ( I no longer have to resort to my 4 wood off the tees).

My wife has a beautiful swing and hits her 4 wood about 150. She doesn't have a driver and now feels confident enough to try one. Would an oversized driver benefit her as well? You never seem to read about/see women with oversize drivers (I guess size really isn't everything) and was wondering what others suggest?

Ty

Birdie Slammin' Stever is on a distinguished road Slammin' Stever's Avatar

Thumbs up large driver heads can ladies benefit using them?

Absolutely....large heads are not bias..if it helped you, it will help her also.

My wife switched to a BANG P1 310..10 degree ands she hits it between 185 to 200 yards..sometimes she surprises herself and she hits a bomb of 210 to 220 yds.

This is her 3 rd season playing.

It is her favorite club now!

Stever

Curious George
    Ty: you're married? The way you clown around on this forum (which I like, I always laugh) I assumed you were in your early 20s and single.

My apologies for any comment in which I implied you were a youngster.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

holes

Ty. Did you drill any holes in your new driver?

Ty Webb
    I am 38 and married. I took up golf at 35 and wish I did sooner. Glad there are people with a sense of humour. I have to be serious for 40+ hours a week already.

How high should one tee up an oversize driver? I have been using the half the ball over the top of the club rule of thumb.

Ty

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    That's the rule of thumb. But it's up to everyone.

The "Sweet Spot" on the new biggies has been lifted off of the ground to a much higher level. So for the ball to meet it, you have to lift it.

Of course, a downside is that you can no longer use the driver from a fairway lie. My buddies all swear that my old driver off the grass goes farther than my tee-shots

Curious George
    Ty, I have an oversized, but not the super oversized, and I used to do the 1/2 above the club, but I found slightly higher worked much better for me. I use a texas tee, and it isn't 2 times higher, but its around 1 and 3/4. I found it very personal.

Ball position also played a huge roll for me.

Ty Webb
    What is a texas tee and where does one find them? What ball position works best for you CG?

Ty

Curious George
    Texas tee is an oversized tee, very tall...makes it easier to tee up high. Chuck browns should have them, so should Canadian Tire.

I had to experiment on ball position (it is usually best inside my forward foot, but sometimes it works better a bit back). My point is it can have a great impact on results. I found I had it slipping to far forward a few times and too far back sometimes. Inside forward foot is the recommended place, but you should stop and lay down some clubs and check from time to time. Your eyes are deceiving when standing over the ball.

Thread Information