100 Holes of Hope
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    There are a couple of factors at play but ultimately it comes down to skill level. For a strong, highly skilled golfer, 3 or 4 degree gaps work best because it gives good spacing for hard swings. Since they are "skilled" they can consistently swing at 75% and get a completely different set of yardages with the same clubs.
    While I'm by no means "good", I consider myself a better ball-striker than driver of the golf ball. I don't believe I could go through any swing changes that would give me more distance on my irons (aside from swinging harder), but I believe that my swing or equipment setup is not ideal for generating maximum distance with the driver.

Since I dislike lessons, and will only use golf clubs that fit my eye, and don't have the time or money to demo every shaft out there, I can't see that changing any time soon. I've accepted the fact that I'm wasting yards on my drives somehow.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    No offence to Jarred, but you can't compare Charlie Hoffman to Jarred.
    Too bad Jarred, I know you always wanted to grow up to be a fat dude with a sweet crispy and wispy mullet, but a fellow mod has laid waste to your fondest dreams and aspirations. It's a sad sad day in Baconatorville.

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I'll put my 5 iron out to around 200yds...a little more when i really need it (don't carry a 4i, so the gap from 5 to 3 gets covered by the 5 from time to time on akward yardages) The PW goes 140-145, although I'll only play a full swing w/ it from the rough ... it spends most of its time being swung @ 3/4 to go around 125yds.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    forgot to mention, my irons are a little steeper than average, w/ the PW coming in @ 45*
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    Too bad Jarred, I know you always wanted to grow up to be a fat dude with a sweet crispy and wispy mullet, but a fellow mod has laid waste to your fondest dreams and aspirations. It's a sad sad day in Baconatorville.
    Charlie Hoffman would order Jarred as a side order with his two Baconators.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    EG my PW is 46* and my driver is 10.5.

ok bros. enough picking on the short guy... ps. whos charlie hoffman?

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Perl View Post
    EG my PW is 46* and my driver is 10.5.

ok bros. enough picking on the short guy... ps. whos charlie hoffman?

Just for you J-man:

http://www.pgatour.com/players/01/27/16/
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    He looks like he's probably quit if he got into a late playoff just so that he wouldn't be late for the gig his Whitesnake coverband was playing that night.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    He looks like he's probably quit if he got into a late playoff just so that he wouldn't be late for the gig his Whitesnake coverband was playing that night.
    you got beef with 80s hair metal????

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    here's mine. I would say on average, I hit the ball pretty high as well.

60*: 65
    56*: 85
    51*: 100
    PW: 130
    9i: 145
    8i: 155
    7i: 165
    6i: 175
    5i: 185
    4i: 195
    2h: 215
    3w: 230
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I just wanted to chime in here a bit, I know there are some big hitters out there that can hit the ball a country mile but don't think that the pros are all big hitters with their irons because of their club head speed, I believe it's more because of hitting the ball right on the sweet spot with their forward hand a bit bowed, thus taking some loft off of the ball and compressing the hell out of that little white sphere. I'm sure there are quite a few members here that have higher club head speeds than your average pro, it's just that your average pro is trying to hit it to a certain distance and not the ultimate distance like some of us are prone to do. I don't think it really matters what club you use to get to that certain distance, it's more important that you can hit it that distance most of the time and with good direction.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    While I'm by no means "good", I consider myself a better ball-striker than driver of the golf ball. I don't believe I could go through any swing changes that would give me more distance on my irons (aside from swinging harder), but I believe that my swing or equipment setup is not ideal for generating maximum distance with the driver.

Since I dislike lessons, and will only use golf clubs that fit my eye, and don't have the time or money to demo every shaft out there, I can't see that changing any time soon. I've accepted the fact that I'm wasting yards on my drives somehow.
    So lets say you have the proper driver in your bag, you would probably hit it more than 105 yards different than you PW.

The distance you hit your PW should relate to the distance you hit your driver, or ability to hit it.

I clearly remember The Chief or one of the other Guru's talking about this about a year ago when distances came up.

It's not a mystery. The gap "should" be bigger than 105 yards from your PW to driver.

If you want to bring physics into it, there's a 36.5* loft difference between Jarred's PW and Driver. Bring physics into it, and you should negate more than 105 yards between the two, bringing launch angle and COR into it, unless of course he has a major swing flaw with the driver only. If he wasn't strong enough, or didn't have a "good" enough swing, he wouldn't be able to hit his PW the distance he is.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    here's mine. I would say on average, I hit the ball pretty high as well.

60*: 65
    56*: 85
    51*: 100
    PW: 130
    9i: 145
    8i: 155
    7i: 165
    6i: 175
    5i: 185
    4i: 195
    2h: 215
    3w: 230
    And here is another example. from his PW to his 3-wood, he has a 100-yard gap. It's probably safe to say that if Jeff put a driver on that list, he'd hit it further than 230.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    And here is another example. from his PW to his 3-wood, he has a 100-yard gap. It's probably safe to say that if Jeff put a driver on that list, he'd hit it further than 230.
    Seriously EG, with absolutely no disrespect intended, what does it really matter? I don't think there is anyone here that wonders to themselves "Gee, I should really be hitting my driver more than 100 yds further than my PW." These are their yardages, for some reason or another they don't add up to the "standard" that you are talking about. They don't seem bothered by it, why keep bringing it up?

Some might hit their driver better, some might hit their irons better. There could be hundreds of variables that account for each individual's gaps in yardages. The thread was about the yardages people hit their clubs, not the gaps from each club to club.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Seriously EG, with absolutely no disrespect intended, what does it really matter? I don't think there is anyone here that wonders to themselves "Gee, I should really be hitting my driver more than 100 yds further than my PW." These are their yardages, for some reason or another they don't add up to the "standard" that you are talking about. They don't seem bothered by it, why keep bringing it up?

Some might hit their driver better, some might hit their irons better. There could be hundreds of variables that account for each individual's gaps in yardages.
    I'm bringing it up in response to your statements that it's not out of the ordinary to only have a 100-yard gap between the PW and Driver. I've been defending my statement as "odd" with examples of why I find it odd, but you seem to think that because you're his buddy, that it's not out of the ordinary.

You brought up not being able to compare to the Tour Pros, but if we compare Tour Pro vs. Tour Pro, we don't see one guy hitting his driver 235 yards and hitting his PW 135, compared to the numbers I had already posted. That's why I think that it is odd. You're free to think otherwise, and that's fine, but by no means is it out of the ordinary that I feel that gap is not the "norm" by whoever's standards. It's not like I haven't shown you examples of it throughout the members of this board and through other sources.

You yourself admitted that you don't think the proper driver is in his hands, and so has Hoolio on his own behalf. Are you saying if both these guys get the proper setup for a driver to match their game, that they are only going to be hitting it 100-105 yards more than their PW? I find that very hard to believe.

If he has the mechanics and power to hit his PW 135 on average, then he should be able to hit his driver more than 240.

And AGAIN. Whatever floats his boat or works for him...The more power to him.

I'm bringing it up in response to your statements that it's not out of the ordinary to only have a 100-yard gap between the PW and Driver. I've been defending my statement as "odd" with examples of why I find it odd, but you seem to think that because you're his buddy, that it's not out of the ordinary.

You brought up not being able to compare to the Tour Pros, but if we compare Tour Pro vs. Tour Pro, we don't see one guy hitting his driver 235 yards and hitting his PW 135, compared to the numbers I had already posted. That's why I think that it is odd. You're free to think otherwise, and that's fine, but by no means is it out of the ordinary that I feel that gap is not the "norm" by whoever's standards. It's not like I haven't shown you examples of it throughout the members of this board and through other sources.

You yourself admitted that you don't think the proper driver is in his hands, and so has Hoolio on his own behalf. Are you saying if both these guys get the proper setup for a driver to match their game, that they are only going to be hitting it 100-105 yards more than their PW? I find that very hard to believe.

If he has the mechanics and power to hit his PW 135 on average, then he should be able to hit his driver more than 240.

And AGAIN. Whatever floats his boat or works for him...The more power to him.

Him being my buddy has nothing to do with this. I just don't see the reason to pursue this. You seem to be the only one intrigued by this. And to constantly point out other's yardages to prove your point serves no purpose. I wasn't aware of any "standard" of yardage gaps which you are pushing in this thread. I said Jarred's driver set up is not suited to him right now, so if it was, he would probably be hitting the driver longer than the 105 yd difference from his PW which you find so odd. But AGAIN, like I said, some people have more confidence and hit different clubs better. For instance, there is a player at my club who hits his 5 wd further than his driver. Now that would throw the whole yardage thing off wouldn't it? I'm pretty sure my yardages wouldn't fit in the "standard" or "norm" that you believe there should be. I know for me, my driver swing is much more aggressive than my iron swings. Just the way I am, I have confidence in my swing with my driver. So I may actually have a larger gap on my top end, which should come across as odd or different no?

I know very well this will be met with a reply from you, but I am done with this topic. You can have the last word. I was merely stating a few replies ago, who cares. Everyone seems happy, no one is complaining, let it die.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Yes, this thread is getting old...............and repetitive............

Who cares what club someone uses and how far they hit it............

John Daly could beat more than half the guys on this forum just using his putter.......

Interesting though probably the top golfer on this forum has not got involved in this thread and he has come the closest to making a living from this sport..........
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    Yes, this thread is getting old...............and repetitive............

Who cares what club someone uses and how far they hit it............

John Daly could beat more than half the guys on this forum just using his putter.......

Interesting though probably the top golfer on this forum has not got involved in this thread and he has come the closest to making a living from this sport..........
    Amen to that! Oops, I lied.

And I know who you are talking about......I think.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I think the purpose of this was to look at the true average, not the best in the 'hood.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    I think the purpose of this was to look at the true average, not the best in the 'hood.
    I agree, and it is. No matter what Geoff thinks, or I think, the yardages are still there.

For fun, I spoke with a few guys over the phone about the gap that I think is "odd". A few of them DO play golf for a living, and they don't seem to think I'm out to lunch with my findings. The smallest gap for any of them is 135 yards and they said if the person in question can hit their PW 135 yards, they should have no problem hitting their drives 250-260 yards with a club that they have been fit for, but who are we to say what is odd or not right?

Oh, and Geoff. Some free advice for you from a couple CPGA guys. They told me that you should commit to all of your clubs, not just your driver. Perhaps that's why you go through the shanks...

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I agree with Geoff on this one. Does it really matter how far you hit each club in comparison to your driver?

EG you have stated you shut your irons down, That adds yardage. Heck I know I guy who used to hit his PW 160, but he sure did not hit his 5 iron 210, which would be a 10 yard gap per iron. He used to hood that PW something awful and the ball would not be much more than 30 feet off the ground at the highest point!

I can hit my Titleist 19 degree 5 wood on the screws off the deck, roughly 220 carry when I am swinging good. There is a 309 yard par 4 at my course, I have had less than 75 in after hitting a 5 wood. I have had the same distance after hitting a driver

The important thing is to know your yardages with each club. 200 yards for me is my 22 degree TM Mid Rescue. I know that if there is no wind in my face I am hitting that club.

130 for me, dead calm conditions is a 9 iron, every time. I know that.

That is what is important.

Too many people constantly say they hit it 320 +. Let me tell you, I have played with a +2 indexer who hits it large. He can hit it 320 all day long, I am 60 yards behind him after a good drive! I have witnessed it more than once. But on a par 3 of 144 we both hit 8 iron. Now how does that happen? Yet it does. He just happens to generate my club head speed with his driver than I do. His smooth swing is long and fluid and a full back swing and follow through. Mine isn't. He out drives me. Simple

I know one thing for sure, after years and years of playing this game. There is not spot on any scorecards where you write down DRIVER 320, PW 140 to the Green. All you write down is a 3,4,5,6 or whatever! 25 years of golfing and I have never been on camera or TV No one cares how far I hit my irons compared to my driver. I don't care. All I care about is the final number on the scorecard

My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

I agree, and it is. No matter what Geoff thinks, or I think, the yardages are still there.

For fun, I spoke with a few guys over the phone about the gap that I think is "odd". A few of them DO play golf for a living, and they don't seem to think I'm out to lunch with my findings. The smallest gap for any of them is 135 yards and they said if the person in question can hit their PW 135 yards, they should have no problem hitting their drives 250-260 yards with a club that they have been fit for, but who are we to say what is odd or not right?

Oh, and Geoff. Some free advice for you from a couple CPGA guys. They told me that you should commit to all of your clubs, not just your driver. Perhaps that's why you go through the shanks...
    THE KEY WORDS IN THIS POST?

THEY PLAY GOLF FOR A LIVING

WE DON'T! Of course their yardages are tighter, they need to be. Otherwise those dudes would be working at Loblaws!

Total different animal comparing a PRO to a weekend golfer. Man that is like comparing a Ford Focus to a Porsche!

Well seeing as how I lied and responded to PEI's post, I guess I'm not done with this topic.

A little low with the dig? If and when I want your CPGA buddies' opinions I'll pay for it thanks. But that's beside the point. Not sure what your need is to be re-assured or "right" on this. But the "norm" doesn't always apply to golf. We hit down to make the ball go up. We hit right to make the ball go left, we hit left to make it go right. That's golf, it doesn't have a standard. Just look at golf shafts, there is no "standard" to judge flex by. Golf is a weird game, just chalk this one up that weirdness.

Now I'm done.

Well seeing as how I lied and responded to PEI's post, I guess I'm not done with this topic.

A little low with the dig? If and when I want your CPGA buddies' opinions I'll pay for it thanks. But that's beside the point. Not sure what your need is to be re-assured or "right" on this. But the "norm" doesn't always apply to golf. We hit down to make the ball go up. We hit right to make the ball go left, we hit left to make it go right. That's golf, it doesn't have a standard. Just look at golf shafts, there is no "standard" to judge flex by. Golf is a weird game, just chalk this one up that weirdness.

Now I'm done.
    It's not a dig, it's a pointer to improve your game which you were unhappy with and had some shanks. Committing to each shot and not holding back is going to produce a better outcome than not being confident with your irons.

I never said EVERYONE had to be the EXACT same when it came down to it, but I still stand by my comment that the distance you can hit your PW SHOULD relate to the distance that you hit your driver, and to only have a 100 yard gap, IN MY OPINION, which I'm entitled to by the way, is odd. I don't care if you agree with it or not, never did either, but you can't tell me I'm wrong for having an opinion that you don't agree with.

So now that the soap opera is over...As you were..

Now I'm done.
    No you ain't done!

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    THE KEY WORDS IN THIS POST?

THEY PLAY GOLF FOR A LIVING

WE DON'T! Of course their yardages are tighter, they need to be. Otherwise those dudes would be working at Loblaws!

Total different animal comparing a PRO to a weekend golfer. Man that is like comparing a Ford Focus to a Porsche!
    Not that it matters anymore since we are moving on, but I was comparing these guys with each other, not them with Jarred. They are of the same calibre and play/teach for a living. The one guy is not a long hitter, and he hits his PW 125 yards, which directly relates to his driver distance of 260 yards. The other fellow is a bit longer. He hits his PW 140 and drives the ball 284 yards. So you can see how their driver distance goes down in direct relation to their PW.

It's not a dig, it's a pointer to improve your game which you were unhappy with and had some shanks. Committing to each shot and not holding back is going to produce a better outcome than not being confident with your irons.

I never said EVERYONE had to be the EXACT same when it came down to it, but I still stand by my comment that the distance you can hit your PW SHOULD relate to the distance that you hit your driver, and to only have a 100 yard gap, IN MY OPINION, which I'm entitled to by the way, is odd. I don't care if you agree with it or not, never did either, but you can't tell me I'm wrong for having an opinion that you don't agree with.

So now that the soap opera is over...As you were..
    I never once said you were wrong. Was merely asking who cares/what does it matter. But you needed to prove a point by saying something whenever anyone posted a yardage list. And had to call your CPGA buddies to prove you "weren't out to lunch". Golf is an odd sport, weird things happen. I still don't understand what happens most of my rounds. But on to bigger and better things.

Who's going to win the British Open.......wait, that's an entirely different thread. LOL!

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Hey Geoff ! Save your energy big guy ! It's not worth the it

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    And he is a very smart man for staying out of it
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Since this is still going on, thought I would ask the following.

What about the guy who hits his PW 88 yds and driver 245 - 260 yds.....???
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Thread Information