9i: 130
    8i: 140
    7i: 150
    6i: 165
    5h: 180
    4h: 190
    3h: 200
    2h: 210
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    My normal carry distances:

60*: 85
    56*: 100
    52*: 110
    PW: 120
    9i: 130
    8i: 140
    7i: 150
    6i: 165
    5h: 180
    4h: 190
    3h: 200
    2h: 210

Finally some numbers I can relate to....guess I'm just a pea-shooter. So if someone hits their PW 140 yds, how far do they hit their putter?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    Finally some numbers I can relate to....guess I'm just a pea-shooter. So if someone hits their PW 140 yds, how far do they hit their putter?
    You're probably like me Garth, your PW is really a PW.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    You're probably like me Garth, your PW is really a PW.
    Wishon 550M PW = 48 degrees, not 100% sure where this falls in the realm of reality...

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Odd? Perhaps, but does it really matter? It gets him around the course well enough for him. Personally I'd like to have the tight yardages between clubs that Jarred has. I know I have some gaps in mine, although I haven't measured exactly how far I hit each club.
    Not sure why you're on the defensive or feel the need to defend Jarred. As I already said, whatever works keep doing it.

I just find it odd that there's only 105 yard gap between his PW and DRIVER. That's not something you normally see, especially from someone who can play decent golf.

Given that I have the exact same wedge, very real.

48* is the traditional PW loft from about the 70s on. I think it may have been 49* in the 60's.

Given that I have the exact same wedge, very real.

48* is the traditional PW loft from about the 70s on. I think it may have been 49* in the 60's.
    Mine is 48* too.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    Not sure why you're on the defensive or feel the need to defend Jarred. As I already said, whatever works keep doing it.

I just find it odd that there's only 105 yard gap between his PW and DRIVER. That's not something you normally see, especially from someone who can play decent golf.

And you weren't saying whatever works, keep doing it. You kept stating how odd you thought Jarred's yardages were. So I was not being defensive or defending Jarred, I was merely stating does it really matter. No harm, no foul.

On a side note, I should go out and actually try to measure my clubs someday. I'd be curious to see just how far I actually hit each club.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar

Well with the two distance threads, I've said that I only have about a 105 yard gap between my driver and PW as well. I don't think I'm being modest with my estimations of distance, if I was to have all my drives measured over the course of a year, I think 260 would be a fair guess. That's not to say that on any given round I don't pound 1 or two out 30-50 yards over that average, but they aren't the norm.

The two threads kind of differed in the way the distances were asked for. The average drive has wind, roll, temperature affecting it throughout the year. When I started this thread however I asked for the distances under ideal warm, calm conditions. You give me those on every hole and my driving average starts going up and that 105 yard gap widens out to 120, maybe 125.

Sometimes it takes all the muscle I've got to get the shot to the middle of a green from 140 with an uphill shot and a 20 km/h wind blowing in your face, and there have been times this year where I pulled a wedge from 180 when the wind and terrain were helping.

These are all really just estimates anyway aren't they?
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

And you weren't saying whatever works, keep doing it. You kept stating how odd you thought Jarred's yardages were. So I was not being defensive or defending Jarred, I was merely stating does it really matter. No harm, no foul.

On a side note, I should go out and actually try to measure my clubs someday. I'd be curious to see just how far I actually hit each club.
    Really?

By all means, keep doing whatever works for you.

Could have sworn that means what it says.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I like to peek at what hoolio is pulling out of his bag, then add 2 clubs to that. makes it easy.
    Andrew

These are all really just estimates anyway aren't they?
    That all depends on who you are talking to. Many people chart their distances as accurately as possible so they know exactly which club to pull out of their bag. Mostly people who play in tournaments, or ones who just want to know. If you use a GPS and a range finder, I don't know how anything can be called an estimate. A range finder, depending on the model, is good for +/- 1 yard. I don't know how accurate a GPS is numbers wise, but I would guess spot on or perhaps out 1 yard.

I know I use my range finder and GPS together, and if the GPS on the cart says 158, I'll pull out the range finder and get the same number +/- 1 yard 99.99999999% of the time.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    Finally some numbers I can relate to....guess I'm just a pea-shooter.
    Me too.
    There seems to be an abundance of people on this forum that have distances that are equal to or beyond the average touring pro.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    Me too.
    There seems to be an abundance of people on this forum that have distances that are equal to or beyond the average touring pro.
    Not sure if you saw the post before, but the average distance for a Touring Pro is VERY misleading. It really doesn't have a lot to do with the average we're talking about. If they took all of their drives and averaged them out, I bet you many would be over 340 yards.

3 Wood hackzaw is on a distinguished road
    It's always bewildered me why people compare iron distances. Everyone here knows that the number on the bottom of the club has no correlation to anyone elses clubs with the same number designation. Clearly, it's the ACTUAL loft of the club that's important. People here should be referencing the LOFT of their 5 iron and LOFT of their PW if we are to compare yardages.

Furthermore, you can't even simply go by the manufacturer's specs on their website or catalogue due to manufacturing tolerances. Manufacturing tolerance is typically +- 2 degrees in loft from most foundries, and even the very best companies insist on tighter tolerances getting to +- 1 degree at best. When we're talking about only 4 degrees total spacing between clubs, if one club is +2 degrees and the club above it is -2, they won't differentiate much in distance.

Everyone should have they're lofts checked and adjusted to maintain proper spacing between them. If you really want to cheese off you playing buddies, get all your lofts delofted by the max (usually 4* for forged clubs), and then on a long 190 yard par 3, when they ask you what iron you hit....don't say anything at all - just show them the bottom of your 7-iron

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    My PW is 48 degrees as well. 5 iron is 28 degrees, those are pretty standard. I don't think anyone in this thread or the other is trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. And maybe some guys on this forum do hit it as long as some tour pro's do!

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    My PW is 48 degrees as well. 5 iron is 28 degrees, those are pretty standard. I don't think anyone in this thread or the other is trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. And maybe some guys on this forum do hit it as long as some tour pro's do!
    Perhaps some do. I don't think all of the players who play on the Tour are there because they can hit their driver a long ways. If you think about it, you hit your driver for MAYBE 14 strokes out of say 80 in one day. There's a lot more to the game of golf than driving. That being said, I don't think anyone on here can hit it as far as the longer hitters on Tour. So if we compare long hitters off this site to long hitters on the PGA Tour, there's probably a 70-90 yard gap there from the longest drive from someone on here, to the longest drive to a long PGA player.

I remember looking through some players stats, and there are more than two hand fulls that have a longest drive of close to, or over 400 yards. That means they have the ability to hit it that far. I don't see anyone claiming even close to that distance on this site, so there's the difference in ability.

Wow...That's an odd spread. Do you have a different swing for each? I would have thought someone who hits their PW 135 would hit their 5-iron close to 200 yards.
    That's odd for sure. What is the loft of your PW and 3-wood?

Am I the only one that finds only a 100 yard gap between a PW and 3-wood odd?
    He said he hits his driver between 240-260. He hits his PW 135. Does that not sound odd? I would figure 140 or 150 yard gap between your PW and your driver would be the norm? With those numbers we're talking 105 yards gap on his 240 drive to a 135 yard PW.

If we assume his driver is 10.5, and his PW is say 46 degrees, that's something like 2 yards per degree. Is that normal? Just seems odd to me. 135 yards is a pretty decent PW. Maybe it just looks funny when you compare it like this...

Really?

Could have sworn that means what it says.

OK, so I re-read and saw you actually put "Whatever works....." but you can see how I may have missed that.

I just didn't understand your fascination and questioning of him. Like I said, who cares.......he didn't seem all that interested in your yardages. In the end, its just a number and the main goal is to get the ball in the hole in the fewest number of strokes as possible.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    And I am sure Hoolio thought it was such a simple question
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

OK, so I re-read and saw you actually put "Whatever works....." but you can see how I may have missed that.

I just didn't understand your fascination and questioning of him. Like I said, who cares.......he didn't seem all that interested in your yardages. In the end, its just a number and the main goal is to get the ball in the hole in the fewest number of strokes as possible.
    I still think it's odd, but I did say that whatever works for Jarred, he should keep doing it. I don't think I have ever played with anyone who hit their PW 135 yards and their driver only 240, so yes, it would be odd for me to experience that.

If you look at the July edition of Golf Digest, Charley Hoffman's clubs and yardages are listed in "What's in my bag". He has a 48* PW that he hits 134, and an 8.5* driver that he hits 305. Do you see where I am coming from when I saw the gap between driver and PW is usually more than 105 yards? Even if this guy nutted a drive down the fairway and knocked 30 yards off his distance, that's still a gap of 141 yards.

I still think it's odd, but I did say that whatever works for Jarred, he should keep doing it. I don't think I have ever played with anyone who hit their PW 135 yards and their driver only 240, so yes, it would be odd for me to experience that.

If you look at the July edition of Golf Digest, Charley Hoffman's clubs and yardages are listed in "What's in my bag". He has a 48* PW that he hits 134, and an 8.5* driver that he hits 305. Do you see where I am coming from when I saw the gap between driver and PW is usually more than 105 yards? Even if this guy nutted a drive down the fairway and knocked 30 yards off his distance, that's still a gap of 141 yards.
    No offence to Jarred, but you can't compare Charlie Hoffman to Jarred. Comparing a pro to an amateur, let alone an amateur who plays maybe once a week is not a fair comparision.

First off, pros tend to make great contact on almost every swing. Their equipment is finely tuned for their swing ( I know for a fact Jarred's driver set up is not optimum for him right now). Pros also have coaches who they work with all the time to keep their swings finely tuned. I know if I take only two days off from playing my swing suffers. So that is not a fair comparison to Jarred or pretty much anyone here.

For the record, I only have about a 130-140 yrd difference between my PW and driver (unless I really connect on a drive, then lookout, we're talking a huge difference ).

No offence to Jarred, but you can't compare Charlie Hoffman to Jarred. Comparing a pro to an amateur, let alone an amateur who plays maybe once a week is not a fair comparision.

First off, pros tend to make great contact on almost every swing. Their equipment is finely tuned for their swing ( I know for a fact Jarred's driver set up is not optimum for him right now). Pros also have coaches who they work with all the time to keep their swings finely tuned. I know if I take only two days off from playing my swing suffers. So that is not a fair comparison to Jarred or pretty much anyone here.
    Dude. They hit the ball cleanly with their driver AND their wedge. The distance gap has nothing to do with whether or not they hit the middle of the club on a consistent basis, because as you said, they do it with all of their clubs. We're talking yardages gaps here, not the ability to hit the ball flush on every swing. His iron gaps seem to have a "normal" gap, and can be compared to the numbers listed in the Golf Digest "gap wise", no matter if they are longer or shorter. If he has a consistent gap between his irons, then he has a consistent enough swing to get that data. That is why having a 105 yard gap between your PW and driver is "odd". The lowest gap I have found in any Golf Digest so far has been 160 yards.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    1w 220
    3w 195
    5w 180
    7w 160

5 150
    6 140
    7 130
    8 120
    9 110
    P 100
    A 90
    S 80
    L 70
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

SEE! Even Dan's gap is 120 yards. The distance you hit your PW should be relevant to how far you hit your driver. A 105 yard gap is not the "norm", but as I said before, he should keep doing what he is doing if that is working for him. It doesn't mean it's not abnormal though.

Dude. They hit the ball cleanly with their driver AND their wedge. The distance gap has nothing to do with whether or not they hit the middle of the club on a consistent basis, because as you said, they do it with all of their clubs. We're talking yardages gaps here, not the ability to hit the ball flush on every swing. His iron gaps seem to have a "normal" gap, and can be compared to the numbers listed in the Golf Digest "gap wise", no matter if they are longer or shorter. If he has a consistent gap between his irons, then he has a consistent enough swing to get that data. That is why having a 105 yard gap between your PW and driver is "odd". The lowest gap I have found in any Golf Digest so far has been 160 yards.

I was referring to their swing for all clubs. And to get an average you'd have to hit many shots in a row. Hence why I pointed out the fact pros make great (referrring to centre face contact) contact on almost every swing. To take an amateur's average yardage (for any club) you'd be sure you'd be getting some swings with poor contact. Us as amateurs just don't hit the sweet spot as frequently as pros. And flush contact will affect yardages. As proven by science, for every amount you stray from centre contact you lose yards. Which could lead to our yardage gaps being smaller throughout the bag than a pro's.

And last time I checked, I didn't know there was a universal standard for how far apart you should be hitting your clubs. But you are correct in saying "whatever works...". That's all that matters.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Well since everyone is listing their entire bag yardages, I'll join in too.

1w = 260
    2h = 240

3i = 225
    4i = 215
    5i = 205
    6i = 195
    7i = 185
    8i = 175
    9i = 165
    PW = 155
    GW = 135 (52*)
    SW = 115 (56*)
    LW = 100 (60*)
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

On the topic of loft gaps between clubs, there was a discussion about this on the Wishon forums.

There are a couple of factors at play but ultimately it comes down to skill level. For a strong, highly skilled golfer, 3 or 4 degree gaps work best because it gives good spacing for hard swings. Since they are "skilled" they can consistently swing at 75% and get a completely different set of yardages with the same clubs.

For slower swing speeds the arguement was made that adjusting the increments in lofts to give the desired yardage gaps (4* minimum spacing and more likely 5*) was probably better.

And then to top it all off at some point you bump into the LEL (lowest effective loft) syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    Well since everyone is listing their entire bag yardages, I'll join in too.
    1w = 260
    PW = 155
    Gee, thats odd, only 105 yards difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Gee, thats odd, only 105 yards difference?
    Don't you start......

Don't you start......
    I will only say it once...... maybe

Thread Information