100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
    Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Hard to say for the average hacker what the correlation is.

Hitting it far is easy. Hitting it straight is much harder.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Putter Ferret is on a distinguished road Ferret's Avatar

long drive, sucky short game

I tend to hit anywhere from 270 to 300. Water in the fairway is always my deciding factor. 250 to carry - driver all the way. 270 to carry - lay up. No water? Close your eyes and pray it stays out of the trees.

Played yesterday and hit about 12 fairways at Chateau Cartier. Not always my own mind you...

I carry a 5 wood and a 3 iron which are interchangeable at around 240-250 yards. The 3 iron will stay close while the 5 tends to skitter around once it's down.

6' 2" 275 lbs with stiff shaft TM 540 XD, playing mostly bogey golf, no real handicap I don't play often enough or consistent enough.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
    I tend to hit anywhere from 270 to 300. Water in the fairway is always my deciding factor. 250 to carry - driver all the way. 270 to carry - lay up. No water? Close your eyes and pray it stays out of the trees.

Played yesterday and hit about 12 fairways at Chateau Cartier. Not always my own mind you...

I carry a 5 wood and a 3 iron which are interchangeable at around 240-250 yards. The 3 iron will stay close while the 5 tends to skitter around once it's down.

6' 2" 275 lbs with stiff shaft TM 540 XD, playing mostly bogey golf, no real handicap I don't play often enough or consistent enough.
    Hey Ferret, do you have a brother called Richard, Dick, Thotho, Depe or anything similar to that?
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    250 yard 3 iron! Tiger, is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Hey Ferret, do you have a brother called Richard, Dick, Thotho, Depe or anything similar to that?

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar

Another Crack at it

Well its amazing what a couple weeks and some warm weather / cut fairways can do. I was back at Chateau Cartier this afternoon and decided to keep tabs of all my drives by making notes as to where they ended up so that I could yardage them out on Google Earth (the poor mans rangefinder). Here are a list of the holes where I hit driver, the yardage and if I hit the fairway.
    • #2 - 304 yrds - NO
    • #4 - 288 yrds - NO
    • #5 - 304 yrds - NO
    • #7 - 286 yrds - YES
    • #8 - 306 yrds - YES
    • #9 - 289 yrds - NO
    • #12 - 313 yrds - NO (by a long shot)
    • #13 - 301 yrds - NO (by a long shot)
    • #14 - 287 yrds - YES
    • #16 - 297 yrds - YES
    • #18 - 296 yrds - YES

I usually use #13 & 14 for the PGA method because they're back to back. I didn't hit that many fairways but I was only in trouble once because of it (#2).

Anyway I'd guess that its accurate to 5 yards, I tried to be modest by measuring from nearer to the front of the tee blocks because they were mostly up today.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Shagging Balls DIbit is on a distinguished road DIbit's Avatar
    Average about 260-270... sometimes more.. play to about a 5. (75-80)
    It's all about short game though. You have to learn how to hit the short game shots.. the bump and run.. flop.. learn how to 'check' the ball.
    And also, learn how to keep the driver in the bag.
    The longer you hit it, the more trouble you can be in... I have hit a lot of 5 woods off the tee, this year.
    Bite, Bite!

7 Iron hkypuk is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaster15213 View Post
    Here's something that I've used to figure out yardages for other people, enjoy http://www.csgnetwork.com/golfclubdistancecalce.html have a good time and maybe learn a little something in the process about your swing and yardages.
    Wow--I filled it out(honestly) and it was bang on +-2 yds.

Bogie Kona Golf is on a distinguished road Kona Golf's Avatar
    230 - 240 Soft Fairways, thick rough,......Usually in Play!!!

Albatross TourIQ is on a distinguished road TourIQ's Avatar
    For me, ~ 210 to 220 yards when I am not swinging real good, and 240 yards when the driver is working. I can hit a 5-Wood 200 yards and sometimes really struggle with the big stick.

My son [5' 10"] was a + handicap a year before before he finished university last year and had to join the real world with a paying job. Today he averages 300 yards off the tee, and once every 9 holes he hits in the 330 yard range [wind neutral] with roll. Guys at work asked if he golfed and said how far do you hit it? I guess everyone wants to know this stat. When he said 300 yards they chuckled. 2 weeks later they got to play together and he was 20 yards short of hitting a 360 yard par 4 from the tee. His longest with no wind and on the flats is 360 yards. He is generally around 280 yards on what he would considers a mis-hit. His bad impacts are off a tad, mine are off the extreme heel or toe Once in a tournament he won the long drive hole with 290 yards on a fairway soaked down pour and it was all carry, and he swung normal. He hits a ton of fairways and plays the stick at 46 inches long. He wants to make a duplicate driver [Callaway Ti 454] but this time he is going up to 47 inches in length. He plays a XX-flex ultralight graphite shaft, so total weight of his club is real low. He's never had a problem hitting fairways + can pick out a specific tree to hit over.

2.5 years ago he was 35 yards shorter playing a different ball and a 325 cc head. After evaluating 6 different driver heads and a different ball he gained both distance and accuracy. He never did go to the gym that season to help gain the 35 yards.

He was on the range 2 weeks ago with a CANTour player and this guy plays a TM with steel shaft [which I built], and boy did his [the pro] impact sound explosive. He was generating some serious clubhead speed [from parallel to impact] with a lot heavier club. The pro's driver is a full 2 inches shorter and 74 grams heavier than what my son uses. I guess we all like something a little different regarding specifications and what feels great to one does not feel the same to the next person.
    Kind regards, Harry

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    [quote=TourIQ;202096]For me, ~ 210 to 220 yards when I am not swinging real good, and 240 yards when the driver is working. I can hit a 5-Wood 200 yards and sometimes really struggle with the big stick.
    quote]

I've played golf with you. If you took off that tight skirt you might be able to hit it further Ya better bring it Thursday, it takes drives of over 200 to clear the fescue in front of some of the tees JK Buddy, you do fine out there, I think you are a closet sandbagger just waiting for the chance to jump on my cash! CYA at The Links of Tarandowah.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Albatross TourIQ is on a distinguished road TourIQ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    I've played golf with you. If you took off that tight skirt you might be able to hit it further Ya better bring it Thursday ...
    Hi Golfbum
    The weather better cooperate, I don't want to drive 2 hours to get rained on
    Kind regards, Harry

Thread Information