CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Too bad someone would not start a meaningful to scoring thread by asking the questions, "What is your average distance from the hole from 100 yards," or "What percentage of 5' putts do you make?"
    Feel free to start what you consider a meaningful thread anytime.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Someday I'd love to figure out what the correlation is between driving distance claims and the calling out/defensiveness factor. I'm sure if you started a thread on GIR's or putting averages, you wouldn't have people calling out the guys who hit 13-14 greens or the guys who average 28 putts a round. And I highly doubt you'd see the long-ball hitters stepping in and saying getting defensive because they don't hit as many greens saying things like "Yeah, it's easier when you're that far back, I'm always in between yardages with my wedges".

I don't think there is anyone in here who believes that a 300 yard drive is the ticket to shooting the lights out, its not a scoring club. It just seems like there is something about the distance that evokes a jealousy factor.

I'm just wondering what it is exactly? Is it the fact that if given enough time, practice and instruction almost everyone could hit 10+ greens per round, or become a putting machine, however there will always just be guys who are more physically able to pound the ball further than the rest?

I'm not trolling for an argument here, I would just like to know why the hostility seems to come out of the bag when talking about the driver more than any other club.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    i think its because yardages are by and large guestimated, especially off the tee. GIR is a fact, a number that is easily measurable. Now if people exaggerate then that is a different story.

I don't GPS my shots, but I consistently know how far I hit the ball on different courses both with a driver and with other clubs. If the yardages are off then they are off at all the courses i play.

I played with Fally a few weeks back and he was consistently 30-40 yds ahead of me so I know he can crush it. I've also played indoor with Lance and Stef and they are way beyond me. I don't doubt others that I've met here can as well. And yes, a good drive is one thing but hitting greens and a good short game will win any day. No one is arguing that.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    Someday I'd love to figure out what the correlation is between driving distance claims and the calling out/defensiveness factor. I'm sure if you started a thread on GIR's or putting averages, you wouldn't have people calling out the guys who hit 13-14 greens or the guys who average 28 putts a round. And I highly doubt you'd see the long-ball hitters stepping in and saying getting defensive because they don't hit as many greens saying things like "Yeah, it's easier when you're that far back, I'm always in between yardages with my wedges".

I don't think there is anyone in here who believes that a 300 yard drive is the ticket to shooting the lights out, its not a scoring club. It just seems like there is something about the distance that evokes a jealousy factor.

I'm just wondering what it is exactly? Is it the fact that if given enough time, practice and instruction almost everyone could hit 10+ greens per round, or become a putting machine, however there will always just be guys who are more physically able to pound the ball further than the rest?

I'm not trolling for an argument here, I would just like to know why the hostility seems to come out of the bag when talking about the driver more than any other club.
    I'll take a stab. EGO!!!! No one wants to be told they can't hit it XX yards. How many times does somebody come back with "Well I can hit it farther than you..." It's the whole macho persona, some people need that boost because that might be all they got with their golf game.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Long drive is a completely different game. Bring a bunch of bananas and step up to the grid. But that's not really golf is it?
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    Long drive is a completely different game. Bring a bunch of bananas and step up to the grid. But that's not really golf is it?
    Exaclty. I even sacrificed distance for accuracy this year by going to a shorter shaft. My average probably went up a bit only because of better contact, but I'm nowhere near as far out as I used to be when I really "catch" one. But I'd rather be shorter and in the fairway, then longer and in the junk/woods/hazard......
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    I'll take a stab. EGO!!!! No one wants to be told they can't hit it XX yards. How many times does somebody come back with "Well I can hit it farther than you..." It's the whole macho persona, some people need that boost because that might be all they got with their golf game.
    I think Hoolio was referring more to the group of "doubters" rather than the people posting numbers...

It doesn't matter which stat is discussed, whether it be driving distance, putts per round, GIR's, fairways hit, there will always be the people who don't believe because they think only guys who play on Tour are players who can post impressive numbers.

Not ALL good or great golfers are playing on Tour. A perfect example is the gentleman who was discussed in the Intersectional thread. Some people have other priorities or goals, and golf is just a hobby for them.

1 Iron B Nation is on a distinguished road

It's funny that you should mention that, because it seems like every year there is a thread just like this, and it goes just like this. Immediately you have guys claiming to hit the ball 270-300 yards, and immediately you've got other guys saying that they are exaggerating. It even happened in your thread Hoolio, when you tried to discuss the length at which people hit their Irons. These threads have also been introduced in the past, and with the same results.

Here is a few theories I have:

1. More long hitters are going to respond to threads regarding distance than short hitters. Long hitters always respond to these threads. Medium hitters, will respond on occassion as well, althought not to the same extent. Short hitters generally don't respond. I haven't seen anyone say they average less than 200 hards per drive, but a lot of people do, and they are still good golfers. This results in a thread that makes it look like everyone out there averages 260+, which is obviously not the case.

2. Some people do exaggerate. I can't even count the number of times I've run into guys who say they hit it 300 yards, and then you play with them and they can hit it out there maybe 250.

3. The hostility thing is real. Haters are going to exist no matter what. I've played with guys who thought they hit a big ball, and I hit it by them all day long. I can tell they get a little miffed. Then again, when I play with John, he hits it past me all day long, and I don't like it at all. As a matter of fact, John, I can't take you to the Royal anymore. I am finally starting to hit my driver well, and I know if I see you hit it past me on a good day, I'll just start swinging out of my shoes and it'll probably take me weeks to recover.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    I think Hoolio was referring more to the group of "doubters" rather than the people posting numbers...

It doesn't matter which stat is discussed, whether it be driving distance, putts per round, GIR's, fairways hit, there will always be the people who don't believe because they think only guys who play on Tour are players who can post impressive numbers.

Not ALL good or great golfers are playing on Tour. A perfect example is the gentleman who was discussed in the Intersectional thread. Some people have other priorities or goals, and golf is just a hobby for them.
    Probably the first thing we have agreed upon in a long time. But I still feel the driver and ego go hand in hand for most recreational golfers. I have a friend who can keep up with me when I'm hitting it well and sometimes past me. But get him close to a green and you never know what will happen.

Ex: Playing a 325 yds hole at my club. Slightly uphill into the wind. I have about 50 yds or so left, he has about 40 yds or so (slightly ahead of me). I call I want to be within 4 feet, I hit my pitch the ball comes to rest right near the lip of the hole. He proceeds to skull his pitch over the green, flubs his chip coming back barely onto the green and two putts for bogey. But all he could talk about was how he hit further than me. I think my reply was "scorecard" lol. Seems to be his obsession. If I could only get him to realize the importance of getting the ball in the hole rather than how far he can hit it......

It takes so much more than length to make a buck on any tour. It requres true excellence in all aspects of the game, not to mention mental fortitude.

Amatures may average similar numbers to a pro in one or two areas but not all areas unless he is a + handicap. (Bobby Jones never turned pro.) Average distance for an amature is less consistant. There will be a larger dispersion between the longest and shortest drives. Also most pros can shape shots at will and maintain their distance. Not so for most amatures.

Nope.

I don't even understand why long-drive competitions get as much hype as they do. They are boring and irrelevant.

Distance is by far the most overrated aspect of golf. Even at the pro level where all I hear is that shorter hitters can't compete any longer. I guess somebody forgot to tell that to Zach Johnson and Padraig Harrington.

Quote Originally Posted by B Nation View Post
    It's funny that you should mention that, because it seems like every year there is a thread just like this, and it goes just like this. Immediately you have guys claiming to hit the ball 270-300 yards, and immediately you've got other guys saying that they are exaggerating. It even happened in your thread Hoolio, when you tried to discuss the length at which people hit their Irons. These threads have also been introduced in the past, and with the same results.

Here is a few theories I have:

1. More long hitters are going to respond to threads regarding distance than short hitters. Long hitters always respond to these threads. Medium hitters, will respond on occassion as well, althought not to the same extent. Short hitters generally don't respond. I haven't seen anyone say they average less than 200 hards per drive, but a lot of people do, and they are still good golfers. This results in a thread that makes it look like everyone out there averages 260+, which is obviously not the case.

2. Some people do exaggerate. I can't even count the number of times I've run into guys who say they hit it 300 yards, and then you play with them and they can hit it out there maybe 250.

3. The hostility thing is real. Haters are going to exist no matter what. I've played with guys who thought they hit a big ball, and I hit it by them all day long. I can tell they get a little miffed. Then again, when I play with John, he hits it past me all day long, and I don't like it at all. As a matter of fact, John, I can't take you to the Royal anymore. I am finally starting to hit my driver well, and I know if I see you hit it past me on a good day, I'll just start swinging out of my shoes and it'll probably take me weeks to recover.

Just my 2 cents.
    I know what you mean when I played with John the first time. But that's the ego. Its tough to all of sudden not be the longest guy in the group, but who cares if you can beat them on the scorecard by 5 strokes or so.

Nope.

I don't even understand why long-drive competitions get as much hype as they do. They are boring and irrelevant.

Distance is by far the most overrated aspect of golf. Even at the pro level where all I hear is that shorter hitters can't compete any longer. I guess somebody forgot to tell that to Zach Johnson and Padraig Harrington.

Don't forget Fred Funk, winning on both Tours at the ripe ol' age of 50.

I know what you mean when I played with John the first time. But that's the ego. Its tough to all of sudden not be the longest guy in the group, but who cares if you can beat them on the scorecard by 5 strokes or so.
    Unfortunately, I can't do that either.

Unfortunately, I can't do that either.
    LOL, than that makes it twice as hard to swallow eh??? LOL!!!!!

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    You beat him by 5 strokes?
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

You beat him by 5 strokes?
    No, it was a general statement.

I've only played two or three rounds with him, and twice we've had the same score.

No, it was a general statement.
    Perhaps an ego influenced exaggeration?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Hey, somebody asked the question. I answered. If you don't like the answer, then don't ask the question.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Someday I'd love to figure out what the correlation is between driving distance claims and the calling out/defensiveness factor.
    I. It just seems like there is something about the distance that evokes a jealousy factor.

In my case it is not a jealously factor . In all honesty I would sacrifice a few yards to hit it straighter. I can pump it out there pretty good when I hit i straight. I am not the longest but I smack it pretty good. I used to hit it farther when I was younger and I was lifting weights.
    What really gets me though is the bull crap factor surrounding it. Sure some guys can smack it out there pretty good but most over estimate their driving distance. To me if a guy hits a 7 iron 150 there is no way he can hit a driver 280 on a regular basis(maybe once in a blue moon with ideal conditions but that's it).IT JUST DOES NOT COMPUTE.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    In my case it is not a jealously factor . In all honesty I would sacrifice a few yards to hit it straighter. I can pump it out there pretty good when I hit i straight. I am not the longest but I smack it pretty good. I used to hit it farther when I was younger and I was lifting weights.
    What really gets me though is the bull crap factor surrounding it. Sure some guys can smack it out there pretty good but most over estimate their driving distance. To me if a guy hits a 7 iron 150 there is no way he can hit a driver 280 on a regular basis(maybe once in a blue moon with ideal conditions but that's it).IT JUST DOES NOT COMPUTE.
    I agree with you Chief, and I think I was looking for a little support in that other thread regarding distance gap. I believe you are touching on the very subject of "computing" that I was speaking of, and if I remember correctly, it might have been your post that I was referring to a year back.

Anyway...There are A LOT of guys out there who overestimate because they think if you hit your driver a long way, that everyone will envy you. However, if you measure your distances with proper devices, I don't see why so many people still have doubts and call for "proof". It happens with every aspect of the game.

I believe you are touching on the very subject of "computing" that I was speaking of, and if I remember correctly, it might have been your post that I was referring to a year back.
    One can come out of his shoes on every drive but I don't think it will be very good for their scores.There is a fine line between 85% and 100% but if you can find it I believe your scores will improve in the long run. Don't you love to see Ernie Els swing a golf club. Poetry in motion.
    Mahatma Gandhi

One can come out of his shoes on every drive but I don't think it will be very good for their scores.There is a fine line between 85% and 100% but if you can find it I believe your scores will improve in the long run. Don't you love to see Ernie Els swing a golf club. Poetry in motion.

Els is one of my favorite players to watch. I just wish he could put together 4 good rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    Els is one of my favorite players to watch. I just wish he could put together 4 good rounds.
    See that's the thing. When one walks in the clubhouse they don't ask him how long he hit his drives but: What did you shoot?
    Mahatma Gandhi

See that's the thing. When one walks in the clubhouse they don't ask him how long he hit his drives but: What did you shoot?
    Exactly, and that is why the doubt people have by comparing to Touring Pros is confusing. You could hit the ball the same distance as some of those guys, but never be able to put up the same numbers as they do.

Perhaps an ego influenced exaggeration?

For sure, there's nothing better than beating someone on the scorecard.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I'm all for that. In the end, the important thing is how you scored and whether you came home with more money than you had when you arrived at the course! It's especially satisfying to beat younger guys who can bomb it past you. If big drive are the salve for some egos, getting beat by old farts who hit it short really bruises those fragile egos.

For sure, there's nothing better than beating someone on the scorecard.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Golf Nut Bullet is on a distinguished road Bullet's Avatar
    I'll have to see if today was just 1 of those days or if I really will keep hitting my new TP Burner the same way I did today. Cause this thing is simply crazy long and straight
    Bad days golf, better then a good days work!

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    In 25 years I have played a lot of golf with guys who hit it 220-240. They'd par you to death all day long because their short games were tremendous.

I know one thing, and you can take this to the bank. 240 in the fairways is going to beat 290 in the trees every day of the week.

With that, I watched a guy on the first tee at STG&CC hit a 19 degree hybrid this afternoon. That hole plays 412 from the golds. The tee was up 3 yards, so 409. Elevated tee, and his ball was just short of the 150 yard marker. I would say maybe 155 in to the green. All carry, no roll, do the math He told me he never hits driver off that tee as he wants to have his first tee shot in the fairway. I said "If I could hit a hybrid that far I would not own a driver"
    I watch a lot of drives off that tee box during my 8 hour shift and most of the better golfers are within 10 yards either way of that 150 yard marker.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    I carry it on average 280. 2.8 factor.

Thread Information