CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    Peltz was a NASA physicist. His data analysys is golden.
    For sure. He has some amazing data, but I don't subscribe to the method or straight back and straight through. He states himself that it is a stroke for those who use a mallet style putter, and the blade style which is usually weighted in the toe, would negate an open and shut style of putting.

He's probably, technically, the most advanced teacher out there though. I just find his book a hard read.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    I'm not sure anymore after a week of cool damp evenings and a new driver I've been struggling to break 260. I usually expect to be fair jaunt past that "when" I'm hitting them solid.

While low cappers tend to hit it long, the revese isn't always true. Lot's of guys hit it pretty long with little fuss but don't shoot the low numbers. I'm about a 14 right now by my best estimations.

3 Wood smithers40 is on a distinguished road
    Im between 250-270...sometimes lower sometimes alot higher but depends how im swinging...but on an average day around 260ish...im a 2.6 at Kanata.

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    We're 2100 feet above sea level here. Calgary is 3440 feet above sea level. That's a pretty big difference.

Sea level might have something to do with it, but maybe I just hit the ball long?

I did live in Ottawa and play golf there for 20 years.

If I get to Ottawa this summer, I'll see if I can get on a course or play with someone who has GPS in combination with my range finder.

Elevation
    ---------
    Ottawa 374
    Edmonton 2372
    Calgary 3440

Carry for same condtions otherwise is 277 Ottawa / 292 Edmonton / 300 Calgary.

Carry Carry Launch Horiz. Launch Ball Impact Green Head Head Loft Attack Bending COR Wind Baro
    Club Time Dist Speed Impact Angle Spin Spin Roll Speed Weight Angle Angle Angle Speed Pres. Temp. RH
    No. Mode (sec) (Yrd) (mph) (mph) (deg.) (rpm) (rpm) (ft) (mph) (gm) (deg) (deg) (deg) (mph) In-Hg (deg) (%)
    W-1/3 MM 8.35 300 178.0 50.0 8.8 3120 2120 24.8 120.0 198.0 10.0 0.0 0.0 0.83 0 29.9 70 50
    W-1/1 MM 8.34 292 178.0 48.6 8.8 3120 2106 23.7 120.0 198.0 10.0 0.0 0.0 0.83 0 29.9 70 50
    W-1/2 MM 8.32 277 178.0 46.3 8.8 3120 2079 22.0 120.0 198.0 10.0 0.0 0.0 0.83 0 29.9 70 50

Quote Originally Posted by lms View Post
    Elevation
    ---------
    Ottawa 374
    Edmonton 2372
    Calgary 3440

Carry for same condtions otherwise is 277 Ottawa / 292 Edmonton / 300 Calgary.

Carry Carry Launch Horiz. Launch Ball Impact Green Head Head Loft Attack Bending COR Wind Baro
    Club Time Dist Speed Impact Angle Spin Spin Roll Speed Weight Angle Angle Angle Speed Pres. Temp. RH
    No. Mode (sec) (Yrd) (mph) (mph) (deg.) (rpm) (rpm) (ft) (mph) (gm) (deg) (deg) (deg) (mph) In-Hg (deg) (%)
    W-1/3 MM 8.35 300 178.0 50.0 8.8 3120 2120 24.8 120.0 198.0 10.0 0.0 0.0 0.83 0 29.9 70 50
    W-1/1 MM 8.34 292 178.0 48.6 8.8 3120 2106 23.7 120.0 198.0 10.0 0.0 0.0 0.83 0 29.9 70 50
    W-1/2 MM 8.32 277 178.0 46.3 8.8 3120 2079 22.0 120.0 198.0 10.0 0.0 0.0 0.83 0 29.9 70 50
    Where were those elevation numbers taken from?

Edmonton is 668 metres which is 2192 feet above sea level.

Calgary is 1048 metres which is 3438.3 feet above sea level.

Ottawa is 80 metres which is 262 feet above sea level.

So according to your posted elevations, Calgary is the only accurate one, unless of course the data I got is incorrect. You can find the information for every city in Wikipedia. That's where I got it anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgary

Calgary is a tough one though because downtown is over 100 feet lower than the airport, so it will always depend which part of the city you play golf in. I guess the fact it's built on the foothills makes the elevation change a bit more drastic from one side of the city to the other.

Pretty neat info either way...What are the carry distances and other variables taken from?

wiki is just one source of data - do a search and you will get many answers to the same question.

My point was that for some golfers there is about 1 club difference between Ottawa and Edmonton, and two between Calgary and Ottawa.

http://wishongolf.com/software.php

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    There's also a freeware equivalent from Dave Tutelman and crowd.

http://www.trajectoware.com/
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

wiki is just one source of data - do a search and you will get many answers to the same question.

My point was that for some golfers there is about 1 club difference between Ottawa and Edmonton, and two between Calgary and Ottawa.

http://wishongolf.com/software.php

That's pretty cool software. I didn't read the entire page of info on it, but did you just plug elevations into it to come up with those numbers with other standard variables?

Looks like it works pretty well. One club difference would probably be a pretty good estimate from Edmonton to Ottawa.

Yes, there is a place to enter elevation.

I should have stayed in Calgary, my drives would have gone farther. But in Ottawa I am often still golfing and mowing my lawn when they are shovelling in Calgary.

Yes, there is a place to enter elevation.

I should have stayed in Calgary, my drives would have gone farther. But in Ottawa I am often still golfing and mowing my lawn when they are shovelling in Calgary.
    Or sometimes you are shovelling while they are sunbathing! HAHA!!

Chinooks are a sweet thing in the middle of the winter!

Sand Wedge GOLFEROLIC is on a distinguished road
    Hi guys, this topic is hot eh.
    I'm 33 handicap, I played the tournament Yesterday Jul 18 @ Bond head south course (NASTIEST GREEN i've ever play) and yes "TOURNAMENT" some of you may be laughing but i'm just want to take a chance to learn and fell what it like also build my skin a little thicker, beside frustration, golf also a humiliated game.
    I finished 114
    To everyone supprise and myself I won the longest drive , got a nice trophy, i still don't know how long it was, all i know i really killed it well, people say it's around 300 yards or so.
    I'm still too new to this game so i'll updated next season then, for now i'd say 260+ @ 85 RPM i mean power, consistance.
    this maybe the pay off of everday driving range.
    Happy golfing all
    Johnson N

3 Iron hello_world is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    Are you serious!!?? Did you not read the way an average is calculated for a PGA Tour player? I gave you a perfect example from the FBR Open and J.B Holmes. The player may not even hit driver on one of the two holes they have selected, so the "average" is not ACTUALLY an AVERAGE of their total drives hit. If they just took all their drives, added them up, then got an average from that, the highest would be more than 315 yards.

It's comparing apples to oranges. It's not even the same calculation between what we are talking about, and how they calculate. I'm not sure what's so difficult to understand?
    what do you mean what you are talking about? When this thread started, nobody was thinking about calculating averages as per the PGA. Anyway, I still think most of you are over-estimating your long drives. What applies to the PGA doesn't apply to us, we are not pros. Start tracking your drives over the next 5 rounds and get back to me. BTW, please have somebody who can attest to your claims.

Have a great day!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hello_world View Post
    BTW, please have somebody who can attest to your claims.
    I have no idea why you feel the need to challenge claims so agressively. Please take it down a notch.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

I have no idea why you feel the need to challenge claims so agressively. Please take it down a notch.
    How is asking for proof being aggressive? isn't this board about sparking debate or we all just supposed to nod our head and say "yes, of course, I believe you 100%"?

Believe whatever you like. It is not appropriate to insist that people provide witnesses to satisfy your criteria of evidence. This is not a court, it's a friendly discussion. There is absolutely no reason to confront people and imply that they are lying.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    How is asking for proof being aggressive? isn't this board about sparking debate or we all just supposed to nod our head and say "yes, of course, I believe you 100%"?
    this board is for intellectual conversations. and it seems every thread you have a post in stirs up problems. just be more relaxed

Believe whatever you like. It is not appropriate to insist that people provide witnesses to satisfy your criteria of evidence. This is not a court, it's a friendly discussion. There is absolutely no reason to confront people and imply that they are lying.
    if you read all my postings in this thread you would have noticed that I have already agreed that there are more than likely folks in here that can drive it a mile. What I am suggesting is that most of us over-estimate how long we actually drive.

I'm not implying anyone is lying, I'm implying that most of us over-exagerate how long they hit the ball.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    if you read all my postings in this thread you would have noticed that I have already agreed that there are more than likely folks in here that can drive it a mile. What I am suggesting is that most of us over-estimate how long we actually drive.

I'm not implying anyone is lying, I'm implying that most of us over-exagerate how long they hit the ball.
    and youve said that like 3 times. we got the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Perl View Post
    and youve said that like 3 times. we got the point.

so I am not allowed to follow up then on posts that are related to my post? Am i being censored?

I'm not implying anyone is lying,
    Whatever. Please refrain from calling people out rergarding their claims. There is absolutely no need for anyone to provide proof of any kind in this thread. Posts like yours are exactly why some people won't post at all in threads like this. Who wants to be confronted and told "prove it"? That is about as unfriendlly as it gets. Should you wish to discuss this further, please do so via PM.

Back to the topic please.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    so I am not allowed to follow up then on posts that are related to my post? Am i being censored?
    No, but you're just echoing a point you've already made, rather than adding something further to the discussion. It's rather repetitive.

Anyway I posted in the "PGA Method" thread with regards to the two holes I measured on at Chateau Cartier yesterday. They ran Parallel to each other in opposite directions however the wind wasn't very strong and was more across than helping/hurting. I believe I quoted an average of 278.5 using just the pickets, I just took a look at Google Earth and tried to measure there using the general area (within a few yards) where I thought I was, one hole was easy due to a certain tree, but the other was a guess. I got a slightly higher average there (around 284). Within 5.5 yards seemed good enough for me to justify what I got from the yardage pickets.

Using Google Earth I tried to measure out my drives for the other holes and my shortest drive with the driver was around 250, and the longest came at the last hole where I hit it around 310. The rest of the drives seemed to be spread from 260-280, but I was hitting the driver really well yesterday, which isn't always the case.

I'm not going to raise my 260 guess, over the course of the season I would expect it to be fairly accurate given the courses I play.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I average 230 but I shoot well under par!
    Oh wait, I thought you meant Hybrid averages!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

what do you mean what you are talking about? When this thread started, nobody was thinking about calculating averages as per the PGA. Anyway, I still think most of you are over-estimating your long drives. What applies to the PGA doesn't apply to us, we are not pros. Start tracking your drives over the next 5 rounds and get back to me. BTW, please have somebody who can attest to your claims.

Have a great day!
    Uhhhhh

LOL, and why doesn't it matter what the pros hit? Based on the stats here: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/golf/...g-distance.htm

there are only 11 players who are driving, ON AVERAGE, 300 yards or more!!!
    I bet if you hit 20 drives and we took the average you would be surprised. everyone over estimates this aspect of the game. I'm sure you can hit the distance, but consistently doing it over and over and over is another thing...

What is the average on PGA?
    You are referencing the PGA in both of those comments. So YOU are comparing us to the PGA.

I'm telling you, that since we cannot use our averages and compare them to the PGA unless we use their method, that your references above are moot and have nothing to do with this thread.

We've already started another thread based on the way the PGA calculates driving distance average. I used two measuring devices to accurately measure, not estimate. There are three other players who can attest to the distances. If you want, I'll post their phone numbers on here for you. They are all CPGA Pros at various golf courses in the region so you can reach them in between lessons at their respective courses.

Have a nice day.
    Last edited by Kilroy; 07-24-2007 at 05:38 AM.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    I pulled my gps out at one of my favourite driving holes tonight, the 14th at Champlain. It's about a 15 foot elevated tee slight dogleg left with maybe the softest fairway on the course, so not a lot of roll even though you get the elevated tee box.. I gps'd it from the back of the tee box to the white stake at 240 yards. I would have thought 5 or so more. I'll hit solid drives around the 100 marker, if I hit it past the 100 I'm pretty happy, I like being close to the 100 if I feel I hit a "good one". I've slammed a few 20 or 30 yards over the 100 marker, but not this year.

I play nine and then a few balls down 14 a lot,.tonight I hit 4 high slices down the right which work ranged from 235 to a bit not quite 250, a little shy of what I woul have expected even with the crummy xhots. Within 10 yards of the 100 is what I "like" to hit there, which is about 280+, sounds about right, maybe a little shy of what I would have liked to think I was getting wioth the big hits. I'm going to measure a flatter hole next time and see what numbers come up, maybe the 8th except the tees can really vary there.

You are referencing the PGA in both of those comments. So YOU are comparing us to the PGA.
    Please discontinue the bickering.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I recall that a number of years ago, Gary Player was asked what single thing he would recommend to amateurs to improve their games. He responded by saying that they should use more club. Why? Because they inevitably underestimate the distance that their shots carry.

I know that it's only anecdotal, but I've played a lot of golf in the last 45 years and have seen many golfers, of varying skill levels. Most (note that I did not say "all") of them don't hit the ball as far as they think they can.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    So what are your driving averages of the tee?
    240 to 250 yards. 0.9 factor.

Longer is better, only if it is straighter. Too bad someone would not start a meaningful to scoring thread by asking the questions, "What is your average distance from the hole from 100 yards," or "What percentage of 5' putts do you make?"

It seems that we have bombers who can't break 80 and pea shooters who score well, but the true test of skill comes from how one uses the most and least lofted clubs.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    240 to 250 yards. 0.9 factor.

Longer is better, only if it is straighter. Too bad someone would not start a meaningful to scoring thread by asking the questions, "What is your average distance from the hole from 100 yards," or "What percentage of 5' putts do you make?"

It seems that we have bombers who can't break 80 and pea shooters who score well, but the true test of skill comes from how one uses the most and least lofted clubs.
    Amen.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Sand Wedge GOLFEROLIC is on a distinguished road
    I don't think people lie about their distance, but i think most of them included myself, in most cases would start to find the distance when we hit a solid drive just to find out how far it is, and boys they always far. nobody mesuring or even thinking about a bad drive there for no minumun distances. and a decent drive we (or me) just guessing. there's always good day and bad day, let say you try to test your drive but it was on the bad days. result not what you wanted, because you know you can do better drive further on the good day. so when you see someone drive about 250 yards, and they claim they can drive 280, maybe they not lying, they have ability to drive 280, on a good day.
    Myself i know i can drive 300 + if i try ( on a good day) realisticly i say 270 which is at my comfort level no need to kill it and it consistance.
    but hey guys no need to get that serious about someone else distance, you yourself know best how far you can drive.
    I played with the 70+ years old man, took him a driver and a wood to make it close to myball, took me 2 or more strokes to get in the green, also took him 2 or more strokes but to get in the hole. he beat me good calm and kool.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLFEROLIC View Post
    I don't think people lie about their distance, but i think most of them included myself, in most cases would start to find the distance when we hit a solid drive just to find out how far it is, and boys they always far. nobody mesuring or even thinking about a bad drive there for no minumun distances. and a decent drive we (or me) just guessing. there's always good day and bad day, let say you try to test your drive but it was on the bad days. result not what you wanted, because you know you can do better drive further on the good day. so when you see someone drive about 250 yards, and they claim they can drive 280, maybe they not lying, they have ability to drive 280, on a good day.
    Myself i know i can drive 300 + if i try ( on a good day) realisticly i say 270 which is at my comfort level no need to kill it and it consistance.
    but hey guys no need to get that serious about someone else distance, you yourself know best how far you can drive.
    I played with the 70+ years old man, took him a driver and a wood to make it close to myball, took me 2 or more strokes to get in the green, also took him 2 or more strokes but to get in the hole. he beat me good calm and kool.
    Yes, yes, you can hit the ball far on SOME days. But average means average, so you have to include the off days... you cant just count the good ones.

I'm done with this discussion.

have a great day!

Thread Information