CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    We're 2100 feet above sea level here. Calgary is 3440 feet above sea level. That's a pretty big difference.

Sea level might have something to do with it, but maybe I just hit the ball long?

I did live in Ottawa and play golf there for 20 years.

If I get to Ottawa this summer, I'll see if I can get on a course or play with someone who has GPS in combination with my range finder.
    I’m not criticizing. I was just wondering how much shorter you would be here since the ball travels less here in Ottawa. Sorry if I offended you. It was not my intention.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

All I'm saying is no matter how soft a course is, you cannot accurately judge carry distance by using markers that are on the course. Those yardages are measured in a straight line down the middle of the fairway. You'd have to use a GPS system to accurately measure carry since you are not following the straight line down the middle of the fairway with every shot. It gives you a decent idea, but it could be off by 10-20 yards depending on which path your ball takes in the air. That's a decent size margin for error.
    I hear ya.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hello_world View Post
    lol, i would bet $100 that ALL of you are over estimating how long you hit. especially the guys who claim they average 280 - 305.
    How can one overestimate their drives if they are using measuring equipment to track them. It's not an estimate when they are measured and kept track of. Dan and I both track our driving distance with GPS and a range finder. I don't think there's any estimating involved in that.

I'd be happy to take your money though if you have any doubts. You pay for your flight to come out here, and I'll pay for your $108 round. I'll even wager your two week pay on it.

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    I’m not criticizing. I was just wondering how much shorter you would be here since the ball travels less here in Ottawa. Sorry if I offended you. It was not my intention.

Mike
    No no...As I said before, driving distance is nice to have and see, but if you can't putt for dough, then it doesn't matter how far you hit the ball, so no offense taken.

I'm sure the biggest difference between here and Ottawa is the air density in the summer. It's virtually never humid here, but obviously Ottawa has humid summers because it's in a valley.

You should have seen the difference between here and Arizona though. Now THAT was ridiculous. To tell you the honest truth, it was pretty frustrating because on more holes than not, we'd be over the green.

No no...As I said before, driving distance is nice to have and see, but if you can't putt for dough, then it doesn't matter how far you hit the ball, so no offense taken.

I'm sure the biggest difference between here and Ottawa is the air density in the summer. It's virtually never humid here, but obviously Ottawa has humid summers because it's in a valley.

You should have seen the difference between here and Arizona though. Now THAT was ridiculous. To tell you the honest truth, it was pretty frustrating because on more holes than not, we'd be over the green.
    Have you noticed any length differences between Ottawa and EDM? I think my friend told me that he was 1.5 to 2 clubs longer in Calgary. He’s the same length as me here in Ottawa and told me that he hits his 3W something like 280 over there or something like that.

Just wondering if 290 there is 275 here.

But I agree that if you can’t knock it close and putt, distance off the tee is for show only.

I bet if you hit 20 drives and we took the average you would be surprised. everyone over estimates this aspect of the game. I'm sure you can hit the distance, but consistently doing it over and over and over is another thing...

What is the average on PGA?
    The average driving distance on the PGA does not have any relevance here.

I just double-checked on how they take their measurement, and as Mr. Vincent had said before, they have two holes where they think the players would hit driver, then take the average between the two. It doesn't matter if a player takes a long iron or 3-wood off the tee, that is calculated into their driving distance.

So for example. J.B Holmes who won the FBR Open was bombing the ball 360 yards, but his average driving distance for that tournament was 307 yards. One of the holes that was being measured was one he hit a long iron on in all 4 rounds.

If you've watched a lot of golf, you'll notice hitting a 300 yard drive for a PGA player on a consistent basis is like taking candy from a kid. I've watched some range sessions and most recently, one where Tiger Woods was putting on a display. There was a camera man in a tower which was probably close to 100 feet in the air or more, and the truck holding the tower was 340 yards away. He put it right by his head. That means his ball was 100 feet off the ground at 340 yards. That should put things into perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    Have you noticed any length differences between Ottawa and EDM? I think my friend told me that he was 1.5 to 2 clubs longer in Calgary. He’s the same length as me here in Ottawa and told me that he hits his 3W something like 280 over there or something like that.

Just wondering if 290 there is 275 here.

But I agree that if you can’t knock it close and putt, distance off the tee is for show only.
    Definitely not 1.5 - 2 clubs longer for me. They're pretty high up elevation wise in Calgary, and depending on which direction you go in, it gets even higher.

If I was to estimate, and it would be a rough estimate since the last time I golfed in Ottawa was over a year ago, I'd say 5-10 yards at most perhaps.

If I get to Ottawa this summer, I'll be sure to get some measurements.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    My carry distance is about 250 to 260 yards, clubhead speed is around 112 now with the bum knee but that's still plenty to play any course from the back tees and still enjoy the round .

Lob Wedge juniorgolfer is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    I don't think a 40 yard gap would be considered average. I'm sure you're including your long ones in this statement? And if you are a 10.2 and hit the ball that far, I'd suggest hitting the range and work on your approach shots. If I hit the ball that far on average I'd be much lower than my 5.2 cap, and I hit a fairly long ball. Golf's funny that way hunh?

My problems always been my putting and the reason for the huge driver gap is my drivers so incosistant and theirfore each day the yardeges drasctically change. The rest of my game i am completely happy with. My course doesn't have a range and its hard to get out to the range and expensive for juniors to keep going to the range unless they have one big piggy bank

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    WHAT??? Almost a 22 handicap and you can hit 3 wood 265 and straight??? What happens after that?

Not meaning to insult but what's up? I'd love to have 265 straight down the middle with a 3 wood.
    I am not insulted.

This is my 5th season playing (hence the user name). I don't get to play much each year so up until a few weeks ago I had games from 2004 included in my HCP calculation ... now I only have 5 from 2005. I am OK at putting (generally 2putt) pitches are OK but I absolutely suck at chipping (but trying to get better).

It has only been this year that I have discovered how to hit the ball quite straight with my 3wood.
    Back at it.

No matter what anyone puts down for their driving distance, whether measured or estimated, there will always be the doubters.

265 is awesome for your 3-wood 2k3! Considering you don't play that much and only started in 2003. Congrats!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    lol, i would bet $100 that ALL of you are over estimating how long you hit. especially the guys who claim they average 280 - 305.
    Meet you at Kevin Haime's. Bring your wallet.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    +1. I said 260, and if hello_world wants to bet me at a driving range, I'll even give the kid odds. There aren't any stupid trees at the range to stop my ball.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    No matter what anyone puts down for their driving distance, whether measured or estimated, there will always be the doubters.

265 is awesome for your 3-wood 2k3! Considering you don't play that much and only started in 2003. Congrats!
    Thanks, but I chalk it up to genetics because it ain't fitness ... 300 lbs here.

Me and John Daly have some things in common ... fat guys with overswings. I am trying to do something about mine though ... the overswing that is.
    Back at it.

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    i'm going to have to go out an measure my average drive ... not really sure how far it goes (or doesn't) ...
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I want a piece of that action as well. Assuming that I am feeling reasonably well, I know that I can reach the distances that I have estimated.

Do you mind if I invite Fred from HP? I happen to know that he can fly his driver well more than 280 yds. I'd bet on him any day.

Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

3 Iron hello_world is on a distinguished road
    Whatever makes your pillows softer at night guys... but seriously, I'm not saying nobody is hitting them long on this board, just that everyone is exagerating what they think their --- R.E.A.D ---"AVERAGE" drives are. and the drive has to be in the fairway to count and hitting on the range doesn't. it has to be in a round for it to factor.

LOL, and why doesn't it matter what the pros hit? Based on the stats here: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/golf/...g-distance.htm

there are only 11 players who are driving, ON AVERAGE, 300 yards or more!!!

Whatever makes your pillows softer at night guys... but seriously, I'm not saying nobody is hitting them long on this board, just that everyone is exagerating what they think their --- R.E.A.D ---"AVERAGE" drives are. and the drive has to be in the fairway to count and hitting on the range doesn't. it has to be in a round for it to factor.

LOL, and why doesn't it matter what the pros hit? Based on the stats here: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/golf/...g-distance.htm

Are you serious!!?? Did you not read the way an average is calculated for a PGA Tour player? I gave you a perfect example from the FBR Open and J.B Holmes. The player may not even hit driver on one of the two holes they have selected, so the "average" is not ACTUALLY an AVERAGE of their total drives hit. If they just took all their drives, added them up, then got an average from that, the highest would be more than 315 yards.

It's comparing apples to oranges. It's not even the same calculation between what we are talking about, and how they calculate. I'm not sure what's so difficult to understand?

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Honest to god guys---I'm confused here. I was told the closer to sea level you are the shorter your ball flight---I have played 3 years at sea level and the only difference I see is a longer drive and I attribute that to the extra roll---irons all seem to be about the same. Maybe we should ask Silly Willy as he just moved here from Arizona with a higher elevation. If this is true he must be out looking for a bigger driver Any way we are talking long drives---you still have to get onto the green and that usually involves short irons------so personally I dont think it makes any difference if your drive is 225 or 260 for the average guy---and the average guy is never going to be always in the middle of the fairway

The LONG and the SHORT of it is----the vast majority of us play bogie golf anyway
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Honest to god guys---I'm confused here. I was told the closer to sea level you are the shorter your ball flight---I have played 3 years at sea level and the only difference I see is a longer drive and I attribute that to the extra roll---irons all seem to be about the same. Maybe we should ask Silly Willy as he just moved here from Arizona with a higher elevation. If this is true he must be out looking for a bigger driver Any way we are talking long drives---you still have to get onto the green and that usually involves short irons------so personally I dont think it makes any difference if your drive is 225 or 260 for the average guy---and the average guy is never going to be always in the middle of the fairway

The LONG and the SHORT of it is----the vast majority of us play bogie golf anyway
    Yeah for sure. The first day I played in Arizona it was only 56 degrees. As it warmed up, the ball was flying further so it has to do with the heat too, without the humidity of course.

I will be able to give you an accurate comparison from here to Ottawa after a round there this summer. I plan to be in town in a few weeks so I'll post after I've measured.

3 Wood Evil Chris is on a distinguished road Evil Chris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    220 average.

I'm a 14.5 handicap factor now. Lowest ever was 12.7 last year.
    220 average here as well. That's a good safe shot on most holes to give you a chance for a par.
    [url=http://www.zeemine.com/]Zeemine[/url]

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I may not be long, but I hit fairways.

When I "Go for the green" on a par 5 it's never on my second shot!

I have been reading this and I have played with a lot of people. I average a realistic 220. I am 20 - 30 yards short of most players who play to a 10-14 handicap. The single digit players are usually 30 - 60 yards longer by my casual observations and occasional GPS measurements.

For what it's worth I feel a 10 usually hits 250 average and a sub 10 usually hits 260 - 280. Yes there is the odd OMG 300+ just for "good measure".

The claims may be exagerated on average, but there certainly are amatures I have played with that can hit over 270 yards without grunting.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

How do you know what my average is? Tell you what, I have 5 rounds between this Sunday and next. I'll take my driving average using the Tour method. I'll pick 2 relatively straight holes (holes with doglegs are too hard to measure) that run in generally opposite directions on each course that I'm playing, take the average of those drives, and I'll post the results when I get back.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    I would also say that how cut and dry the fairways is a big factor on yardage. This does not seem to mentioned much............

You should have seen how fast the fairways were running this week at the Marshes prior to the Senior CPGA tourney. Our drives kept rolling forever.............

After todays rain, all I can think of is one word "plugged".........
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

bbad
    Average probably 250 with most of that as carry. I hit a very high ball so when the fairways are dry, I get outdriven by a lot of people. Though when the course is wet, I can hold my own.

Right now my idex is 3.0

How do you know what my average is? Tell you what, I have 5 rounds between this Sunday and next. I'll take my driving average using the Tour method. I'll pick 2 relatively straight holes (holes with doglegs are too hard to measure) that run in generally opposite directions on each course that I'm playing, take the average of those drives, and I'll post the results when I get back.

I'm going to do the same for the next 5 rounds I play and post an average. These will be measured with Sky Caddie and Bushnell Pinseeker 1500 TE.

Should be fun.

I'm going to do the same for the next 5 rounds I play and post an average. These will be measured with Sky Caddie and Bushnell Pinseeker 1500 TE.

Should be fun.
    Sounds good. More data less guestimates. Peltz would be proud!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    Sounds good. More data less guestimates. Peltz would be proud!

HAHA! I'm having a hard time getting through his Putting Bible. I find it takes a very long time to get to the actual point he's trying to make.

At least now we can compare accurately in the same format the PGA use to obtain their average distance.

Peltz was a NASA physicist. His data analysys is golden.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Hey EG---I have a friend who is a surveyor---maybe we should invite him for a game---we will bring our tools--he brings his own
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Thread Information