+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    It's interesting to know how long you hit your driver, but in the grand scheme of things, it means nothing. Sure it's going to give you a better chance at scoring well, but if you're like me and give up strokes on the green, it doesn't matter.

Drive for show, putt for dough.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    That's fair....The one issue I have with this method of measuring is obvious. I mean the yardage is not always measured on the same path your ball flies.
    Agree 100%. I always use a GPS or laser for accurate distance measurements. I was just using that as an example of the lack of roll because I could clearly see where the ball hit the ground first.

I neglected to post my index earlier. 7.9.

Although I will agree that putting goes a long way to helping your score, and I have been suffering recently, there is a certain threshold where you simply have to hit it a certain distance or you just can't keep up.

I'd put that threshold at somewhere around 6500 yards. Below that and the short hitters don't suffer too much but above that and you start to see a lot more 400+ par fours which if you can only hit driver 210 yards is going to give you a lot of trouble.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Agree 100%. I always use a GPS or laser for accurate distance measurements. I was just using that as an example of the lack of roll because I could clearly see where the ball hit the ground first.

I neglected to post my index earlier. 7.9.

Although I will agree that putting goes a long way to helping your score, and I have been suffering recently, there is a certain threshold where you simply have to hit it a certain distance or you just can't keep up.

I'd put that threshold at somewhere around 6500 yards. Below that and the short hitters don't suffer too much but above that and you start to see a lot more 400+ par fours which if you can only hit driver 210 yards is going to give you a lot of trouble.
    Agreed. The course I play on a regular basis is 6984 yards from the second to back tees. It measures 7352 from the tips which we play. You definitely see a difference in scoring when we play with someone who doesn't hit the ball very far. Eventhough they are good golfers, the distance just eats them up.

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Ok I will add a girls one

I don't have a rangefinder so Emerald Links has two holes from the ladies tees, one I think around 218 and one at 210. Both par 4. I know on a really good drive I can get close enough for a short chip, so that would make me at about 200 for a best drive including roll. Average I would estimate around 180. Hard to estimate properly, this would be on a decent day when I haven't lost my swing. I don't think I lose that much on a bad day but I may hook it off the planet.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    It's interesting to know how long you hit your driver, but in the grand scheme of things, it means nothing. Sure it's going to give you a better chance at scoring well, but if you're like me and give up strokes on the green, it doesn't matter.

Drive for show, putt for dough.
    True, but you also forgot the very important "Chicks dig the long ball" quote....

Got to love this classic Nike commercial. Its baseball, but certainly can apply to the tee-box.............
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ltD21rYWVw
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    True, but you also forgot the very important "Chicks dig the long ball" quote....

Got to love this classic Nike commercial. Its baseball, but certainly can apply to the tee-box.............
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ltD21rYWVw
    It is impressive to see the ball bombed down the middle of the fairway. I play with a couple of CPGA Assistants and Pros out here and they hit the ball as long, if not longer than I do. One guy hits the ball a mile, but he's not very accurate with his irons, so his game isn't all that great.

It was also pretty cool to see some of the guys bomb it here a couple weeks ago at the CPGA Telus Open that Edmonton Country Club hosted.

To be 100% honest though, the shot I enjoy seeing the most is one from 150 yards out that stops within 10 feet from the pin. Guys who can throw darts like that impress me more than someone who can grip it and rip it.

Lob Wedge juniorgolfer is on a distinguished road
    my drives average between 270-310 yards with the majority of that being carry. The 10.5 degree loft might have something to do with it lol

Right now my index is sitting at 10.2

Driver overswing is on a distinguished road overswing's Avatar
    i by no means hit a long ball. i likely average 245-260 in normal conditions. if i really catch it i can get it out to 280ish, but i have to swing outta my shoes like this: http://media.putfile.com/long-drive-92-26.

btw, my driver SS is at 108 ish, and my cap is 7.7 atm, its been going up

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by juniorgolfer View Post
    my drives average between 270-310 yards with the majority of that being carry. The 10.5 degree loft might have something to do with it lol

Right now my index is sitting at 10.2
    I don't think a 40 yard gap would be considered average. I'm sure you're including your long ones in this statement? And if you are a 10.2 and hit the ball that far, I'd suggest hitting the range and work on your approach shots. If I hit the ball that far on average I'd be much lower than my 5.2 cap, and I hit a fairly long ball. Golf's funny that way hunh?
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    I don't think a 40 yard gap would be considered average. I'm sure you're including your long ones in this statement? And if you are a 10.2 and hit the ball that far, I'd suggest hitting the range and work on your approach shots. If I hit the ball that far on average I'd be much lower than my 5.2 cap, and I hit a fairly long ball. Golf's funny that way hunh?
    I was going to say the same but you beat me to it. Although I guess I wrote from 290 to 315. I guess I should have said 290 to 305. How about, I don't think I hit one longer than 315 or shorter than 290.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for all the input everyone. I guess I should have been a bit more specific. An average doesn't mean distances like "260-300" or "210-240"

I realize that wind, rain, uphill, downhill etc can change distances. I was asking because I read that most amateur gofers over-estimate their distance significantly. Eeven guys I play with will tell me "wow, great drive, that must be at least 280" when in fact it was only 245.

Brad Faxon is at an average of 268 yards.

And just because you can drive a 360 yard dogleg, doesn't mean you hit the ball 360 yards...!!!

Thanks again for the input.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I agree with you that most amateurs over-estimate the distance that they can hit the ball. At the same time, overall average distances mean very little. If the weather is hot and clear, and the terrain level, then I can carry the ball off the driver, 250. However, if it's cold and wet, then I'm lucky to fly it 225. To then say that my average carry is 237.5 with the driver is really not particularly informative, because on a clear and dry day, I would consistently carry it longer than that and on a wet and cold day, I never would. That is why, from my perspective, it is more meaningful to find out what one's average carry is under specified conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    Thanks for all the input everyone. I guess I should have been a bit more specific. An average doesn't mean distances like "260-300" or "210-240"

I realize that wind, rain, uphill, downhill etc can change distances. I was asking because I read that most amateur gofers over-estimate their distance significantly. Eeven guys I play with will tell me "wow, great drive, that must be at least 280" when in fact it was only 245.

Brad Faxon is at an average of 268 yards.

And just because you can drive a 360 yard dogleg, doesn't mean you hit the ball 360 yards...!!!

Thanks again for the input.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    hcp: 21.8

I have not been hitting my driver much this year (my old slice has come back with a vengence, but practice is straightening me out again ... just in time for winter). My 3wood will get me out about 265yds and quite straight. My driver when I hit it straight is usually in the 280-300yd range.
    Back at it.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    WHAT??? Almost a 22 handicap and you can hit 3 wood 265 and straight??? What happens after that?

Not meaning to insult but what's up? I'd love to have 265 straight down the middle with a 3 wood.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedoodler View Post
    I average 235-245 carry and 265 a drive...hadicap 7, ss 98mph....
    Same here. I carry the ball approximately 255-ish. Normal hit drive 275-280. When I do get all of it with the perfect swing I can reach 300. My swing speed is 105-110mph.

I’m a 5.2 index.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

I must have had the way they measure on the PGA wrong. I was under the impression they get their average distance including roll by taking their longest and shortest drives, then dividing by two. I didn't know they picked two holes a head of time, one being downwind and one into the wind. I mean the wind changes direction throughout a round in most cases.

Anyway, as stated above, unless you have a GPS device and or laser range finder, it's next to impossible to accurately measure you drives. Even with these two devices, it's very tough to measure your carry. I've done it on more than one occasion with the help of landmarks and a crappy roll, but it's never going to be spot on. That being said, how are you people measuring your carry distance? LOL!

I have no idea what my carry distance is this year. I'd guess 'deep' would be a good general term. LOL! My driver has been my most consistent club in the bag after I finally figured out which one I wanted to keep. I haven't played any hard fairway courses yet this year. They've mostly been soft, yet not wet so that there is no roll. I hit drives between 290 and 315 including roll. I always play on courses with GPS in the carts and have my range finder with me, so these are accurate to within a couple of yards. I've been told recently that most of my distance comes from a big weight shift in my lower body. Probably from playing hockey.

At my course it easy to calculate carry distance. The course is extremely soft and the ball plugs and pups out backwards following a wet week. At Manderley this weekend was fun. They have lots of gullies with the distance marked to carry them. Don’t know if the distances are accurate but it gives you an idea when it says 256 to carry and you do carry it. Also if you have a 500y par 5 and you must take out the 200y marker cause it interferes with your swing for your second shot also gives a good idea.

It is impressive to see the ball bombed down the middle of the fairway. I play with a couple of CPGA Assistants and Pros out here and they hit the ball as long, if not longer than I do. One guy hits the ball a mile, but he's not very accurate with his irons, so his game isn't all that great.

It was also pretty cool to see some of the guys bomb it here a couple weeks ago at the CPGA Telus Open that Edmonton Country Club hosted.

To be 100% honest though, the shot I enjoy seeing the most is one from 150 yards out that stops within 10 feet from the pin. Guys who can throw darts like that impress me more than someone who can grip it and rip it.
    Aren’t you like 2500 feet above sea level? You must hit the ball longer then most here because of that.

I have a friend that moved to Calgary last year and he says that he had to readjust his distance with every clubs because of that.

Hybrid harbacostal is on a distinguished road
    It's interesting to me that loads of people completely overestimate their driving distance. A guy that I work with and have played golf with claims to average 280 yards off the tee...

I honestly have no idea what I would average off the tee. The difference can be wild...hence the 17 handicap.
    I can reach some par 5's in 2...
    I can also turn the odd par 4 into par 5 off the tee...
    Other than GPS do any of you have a suggestion as to how to tabulate this stat?

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I think that my average drive is in the 260-270 range. In dry or windy conditions i can definitely get it out over the 300 yard mark but i wouldn't say on a consistent basis by any means.

I've been leaving the driver at home lately and hitting my Nickent DC 15.5 degree Hybrid off the tee. Averaging 240-260 with it so i'm very happy.

Cap is a 5.2

Quote Originally Posted by harbacostal View Post
    Other than GPS do any of you have a suggestion as to how to tabulate this stat?
    Range finder or Google Earth.

3 Iron hello_world is on a distinguished road
    lol, i would bet $100 that ALL of you are over estimating how long you hit. especially the guys who claim they average 280 - 305.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hello_world View Post
    lol, i would bet $100 that ALL of you are over estimating how long you hit. especially the guys who claim they average 280 - 305.
    Careful, I know 3 or 4 guys in here that would take that $100 real fast.... not saying that everyone making the claim is true, but the few I know in here that have claimed it would love that easy $100
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

I think there's one guy in the thread who said that's his average, everyone else stated the longest being around 260-270 average drive. I would happily bet you more than 100$ as well regarding distance for me at least!

3 Iron hello_world is on a distinguished road
    I bet if you hit 20 drives and we took the average you would be surprised. everyone over estimates this aspect of the game. I'm sure you can hit the distance, but consistently doing it over and over and over is another thing...

What is the average on PGA?

I actually don't think i would be too surprised. I've played at courses with people with GPS and Carts that track your numbers and some days i've averaged in the 290 range. So unless this equipment is off i don't think i'd be surprised.

It's all about conditions as well the dryer the longer. I played Les Vieux Moulins two weeks ago and it was dry as hell!! On number 3 from the back tees a 508 yard par 5 i smoked a drive and had under 150 into the flag. Obviously i couldn't do that if it hadn't been bone dry.

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hello_world View Post

I agree with you there. There may be a couple here who are telling the truth, I would bet MOST are over estimating.

I am sure some of you could hit it 290 or 300+ in perfect conditions but how often does that happen? Is that your normal swing, are you using it in a normal round and are you hitting fairways? Or is this the super drive you save for show or during a scramble tournament. The kind of drive you would never try in an actual round.

Also, do drives have to hit the fairway do be counted in your average?

Personally, I would estimate my average in the 215-225 range but I can count on that hitting the fairway 90% of the time. I am around a 13 index.

You guys should check out the statistics page for the golfers at the Open.

On the driving distance holes they are tracking ball speed and carry. As I mentioned earlier they pick two different holes. You can clearly see this from Tiger's stats. In both cases ball speed was 181 MPH (ouch!) and the carry distance was 36 yards different.
    Last edited by jvincent; 07-19-2007 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Edit; Bad math/memory

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    Aren’t you like 2500 feet above sea level? You must hit the ball longer then most here because of that.

I have a friend that moved to Calgary last year and he says that he had to readjust his distance with every clubs because of that.
    We're 2100 feet above sea level here. Calgary is 3440 feet above sea level. That's a pretty big difference.

Sea level might have something to do with it, but maybe I just hit the ball long?

I did live in Ottawa and play golf there for 20 years.

If I get to Ottawa this summer, I'll see if I can get on a course or play with someone who has GPS in combination with my range finder.

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    At my course it easy to calculate carry distance. The course is extremely soft and the ball plugs and pups out backwards following a wet week. At Manderley this weekend was fun. They have lots of gullies with the distance marked to carry them. Don’t know if the distances are accurate but it gives you an idea when it says 256 to carry and you do carry it. Also if you have a 500y par 5 and you must take out the 200y marker cause it interferes with your swing for your second shot also gives a good idea.
    All I'm saying is no matter how soft a course is, you cannot accurately judge carry distance by using markers that are on the course. Those yardages are measured in a straight line down the middle of the fairway. You'd have to use a GPS system to accurately measure carry since you are not following the straight line down the middle of the fairway with every shot. It gives you a decent idea, but it could be off by 10-20 yards depending on which path your ball takes in the air. That's a decent size margin for error.

3 Wood mcnorth is on a distinguished road mcnorth's Avatar
    I can't hit it far at all. Straight, but not far.

I'd say I hit it about 180 to 200 on my usual drives this year. But my "average" if you include the pop-ups and other uglies that occur, and just barely land in the fairway in front of me, would be lower. I guess we're talking mean and mode here. My mode is 200ish, my mean 180ish. I've lost a good fifteen to twenty yards this year that is really baffling me (and my playing partners). Same swing it appears but different results. The only difference seems to be my new clubhead (same shaft) - which is bigger and you'd think would go farther. That's why I bought it anyway.

The loss of length, and short-hitting in general, is affecting my scores because there are a couple of par 4 holes on my home course where you need to get it out there 220 or so or else you're pretty well forced to lay up. I end up going for the green with a fairway wood or long iron much more often on those holes if I'm not in the mood to compromise.

Although my putting is much better this year so my scores are pretty well the same. God bless you $20 department store putter.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Thread Information