100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    I must have had the way they measure on the PGA wrong. I was under the impression they get their average distance including roll by taking their longest and shortest drives, then dividing by two. I didn't know they picked two holes a head of time, one being downwind and one into the wind. I mean the wind changes direction throughout a round in most cases.

Anyway, as stated above, unless you have a GPS device and or laser range finder, it's next to impossible to accurately measure you drives. Even with these two devices, it's very tough to measure your carry. I've done it on more than one occasion with the help of landmarks and a crappy roll, but it's never going to be spot on. That being said, how are you people measuring your carry distance? LOL!

I have no idea what my carry distance is this year. I'd guess 'deep' would be a good general term. LOL! My driver has been my most consistent club in the bag after I finally figured out which one I wanted to keep. I haven't played any hard fairway courses yet this year. They've mostly been soft, yet not wet so that there is no roll. I hit drives between 290 and 315 including roll. I always play on courses with GPS in the carts and have my range finder with me, so these are accurate to within a couple of yards. I've been told recently that most of my distance comes from a big weight shift in my lower body. Probably from playing hockey.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    That being said, how are you people measuring your carry distance? LOL!
    Lot's of rain here in the last week or two has meant some very mushy fairways.

Example, I had one ball that almost hit the 200 yard plate last week on the fly. I missed it by two feet. I had 198 to the center of the green.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Lot's of rain here in the last week or two has meant some very mushy fairways.

Example, I had one ball that almost hit the 200 yard plate last week on the fly. I missed it by two feet. I had 198 to the center of the green.
    That's fair....The one issue I have with this method of measuring is obvious. I mean the yardage is not always measured on the same path your ball flies. For example, on a slight dogleg left, you might have 200 left out of 475 yards, but you hit it there on a direct line, not straight up the middle of the fairway, then a slight left turn.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    That's fair....The one issue I have with this method of measuring is obvious. I mean the yardage is not always measured on the same path your ball flies.
    Agree 100%. I always use a GPS or laser for accurate distance measurements. I was just using that as an example of the lack of roll because I could clearly see where the ball hit the ground first.

I neglected to post my index earlier. 7.9.

Although I will agree that putting goes a long way to helping your score, and I have been suffering recently, there is a certain threshold where you simply have to hit it a certain distance or you just can't keep up.

I'd put that threshold at somewhere around 6500 yards. Below that and the short hitters don't suffer too much but above that and you start to see a lot more 400+ par fours which if you can only hit driver 210 yards is going to give you a lot of trouble.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Agree 100%. I always use a GPS or laser for accurate distance measurements. I was just using that as an example of the lack of roll because I could clearly see where the ball hit the ground first.

I neglected to post my index earlier. 7.9.

Although I will agree that putting goes a long way to helping your score, and I have been suffering recently, there is a certain threshold where you simply have to hit it a certain distance or you just can't keep up.

I'd put that threshold at somewhere around 6500 yards. Below that and the short hitters don't suffer too much but above that and you start to see a lot more 400+ par fours which if you can only hit driver 210 yards is going to give you a lot of trouble.
    Agreed. The course I play on a regular basis is 6984 yards from the second to back tees. It measures 7352 from the tips which we play. You definitely see a difference in scoring when we play with someone who doesn't hit the ball very far. Eventhough they are good golfers, the distance just eats them up.

Shagging Balls DIbit is on a distinguished road DIbit's Avatar
    Average about 260-270... sometimes more.. play to about a 5. (75-80)
    It's all about short game though. You have to learn how to hit the short game shots.. the bump and run.. flop.. learn how to 'check' the ball.
    And also, learn how to keep the driver in the bag.
    The longer you hit it, the more trouble you can be in... I have hit a lot of 5 woods off the tee, this year.
    Bite, Bite!

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    I must have had the way they measure on the PGA wrong. I was under the impression they get their average distance including roll by taking their longest and shortest drives, then dividing by two. I didn't know they picked two holes a head of time, one being downwind and one into the wind. I mean the wind changes direction throughout a round in most cases.

Anyway, as stated above, unless you have a GPS device and or laser range finder, it's next to impossible to accurately measure you drives. Even with these two devices, it's very tough to measure your carry. I've done it on more than one occasion with the help of landmarks and a crappy roll, but it's never going to be spot on. That being said, how are you people measuring your carry distance? LOL!

I have no idea what my carry distance is this year. I'd guess 'deep' would be a good general term. LOL! My driver has been my most consistent club in the bag after I finally figured out which one I wanted to keep. I haven't played any hard fairway courses yet this year. They've mostly been soft, yet not wet so that there is no roll. I hit drives between 290 and 315 including roll. I always play on courses with GPS in the carts and have my range finder with me, so these are accurate to within a couple of yards. I've been told recently that most of my distance comes from a big weight shift in my lower body. Probably from playing hockey.

At my course it easy to calculate carry distance. The course is extremely soft and the ball plugs and pups out backwards following a wet week. At Manderley this weekend was fun. They have lots of gullies with the distance marked to carry them. Don’t know if the distances are accurate but it gives you an idea when it says 256 to carry and you do carry it. Also if you have a 500y par 5 and you must take out the 200y marker cause it interferes with your swing for your second shot also gives a good idea.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    At my course it easy to calculate carry distance. The course is extremely soft and the ball plugs and pups out backwards following a wet week. At Manderley this weekend was fun. They have lots of gullies with the distance marked to carry them. Don’t know if the distances are accurate but it gives you an idea when it says 256 to carry and you do carry it. Also if you have a 500y par 5 and you must take out the 200y marker cause it interferes with your swing for your second shot also gives a good idea.
    All I'm saying is no matter how soft a course is, you cannot accurately judge carry distance by using markers that are on the course. Those yardages are measured in a straight line down the middle of the fairway. You'd have to use a GPS system to accurately measure carry since you are not following the straight line down the middle of the fairway with every shot. It gives you a decent idea, but it could be off by 10-20 yards depending on which path your ball takes in the air. That's a decent size margin for error.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    All I'm saying is no matter how soft a course is, you cannot accurately judge carry distance by using markers that are on the course. Those yardages are measured in a straight line down the middle of the fairway. You'd have to use a GPS system to accurately measure carry since you are not following the straight line down the middle of the fairway with every shot. It gives you a decent idea, but it could be off by 10-20 yards depending on which path your ball takes in the air. That's a decent size margin for error.
    I hear ya.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Thread Information