CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road

Average Driving Distance???

Ok, guys and gals...

I am a pretty good golfer. I do not hit the ball 300 yards off the tee, but I read and hear about so many people who do hit it LONG.

So what are your driving averages of the tee?

I am curious to see how many people out there really do hit it consistnetly over let's say 260 yards. And I mean every time over 260 with the driver.

And better yet, if you do, what are your scores like?

Thanks in advance.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    220 average.

I'm a 14.5 handicap factor now. Lowest ever was 12.7 last year.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I am in the 230-260 range. It depends on the wind, slope of the fairway, firmness of the fairway, etc. as to how far it goes. I would say I average about 240. I rarely hit it much further than 260 but if I am driving well, can get it out there regularly.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Do you mean carry or total distance.

I normally carry the ball 230-240 in the air. Depending on the course, I get anywhere from 1 foot to 30 yards of roll.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I kept track last year for 15 games---ended up at 227 as an average--seems to be holding true. I did this after last years thread on how accurate a scale was depending on how far you hit 5 iron or something like that.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Do you mean carry or total distance?
    I took it to mean total distance.

9 Iron speedoodler is on a distinguished road speedoodler's Avatar
    I average 235-245 carry and 265 a drive...hadicap 7, ss 98mph....

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Unless you have a GPS or laser range finder, working out the distance from the scorecard and blue, white and red stakes is highly inaccurate.

There will be 2 types of people that post their "average" here.

1) Those like Dan, who have the above mentioned equipment and counted every drive (good and bad)

2) Those who once hit a 300 yarder in a tailwind on a downslope to a baked clay fairway and then extrapolate back to about 275.

PS I don't have said equipment and am a 23HCP so I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill View Post
    Those like Dan, who have the above mentioned equipment and counted every drive (good and bad)
    GPS rocks. You learn your real yardages very quickly. No macho dreams.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Back to 275-280, with recent swing changes. 255-ish carry. If I really bring it, I can crack 300.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    GPS rocks. You learn your real yardages very quickly. No room for macho dreams.
    *drool* I'd love one of those. How does it work anyway, do you just zero it at the tee box and then take the distance reading at your ball?

How much $$$ would one of those set me back??

PS never understood this obsession with distance, I have a friend who has hit a few long ones and when people see this they are wowed, trouble is he can only do it 3 times a round and then when he does it he takes another 5 shots to get down.

I have a GPS, which I don't really use anymore, but my distances haven't changed since I last measured.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I hit mine in the middle of the fairway 90% of the time at about 200 yards and thats including roll..I am a 13.8 and i i have a fair short game.Hitting it long is not important to me. Putting it in the middle and scoring is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill View Post
    How much $$$ would one of those set me back??
    Have a look at this GPS...which one? and then do a search for "intelligolf" for more info.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I would say I average 230 to 240 total.... I get the occasional 250 to 260 when I hit it on the sweet spot and there is a helluva tail wind
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Golf Nut Bullet is on a distinguished road Bullet's Avatar
    Have no idea what my average would be this year. I can say that I have broken the big 3 a couple times and also hit more often to the ladies tee's. Having struggled with my high kick shaft all season, I can say that I could not do an average. Maybe say I average a 50 yard slice LOL.

Yesterday I hit my new burner at the range and would say that I was probably close to 250 average there. Saturday on my home course I'll be able to see if I get back to what my driving was last year.
    Bad days golf, better then a good days work!

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    I'd put my average around 260. I haven't measured my club head speed in at least a year, but it was around 120+ if I swung normal (how normal does anyone swing when the speed/distance is being measured). Club head speed went up to 128-130 when I really try to endanger my vertebrae.

I'm confident that I'm nowhere close to maximizing the amount of distance I could get.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    How do you define average, should it not be the sum of all your drives distances divided by the strokes accumulated while trying to hit those drives.

If I hit 13 - 220yd drives in a round, and twice put my drive OB, then "driving" I have acquired 13+4 strokes, so isn't my average drive 13*220/17=168 yds.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    I always tell other players to "Google Earth" measure their drives if they do not have a GPS measuring device.

Its quite accurate and some people who think they are driving "a certain distance" will be suprised that they are not as long as they think............

I always laugh when people will tell me that my driving distance is 20 yards more than it actually is. I just smile as not to hurt their feelings, because they are 20 yards behind me.................
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by lms View Post
    How do you define average, should it not be the sum of all your drives distances divided by the strokes accumulated while trying to hit those drives.

If I hit 13 - 220yd drives in a round, and twice put my drive OB, then "driving" I have acquired 13+4 strokes, so isn't my average drive 13*220/17=168 yds.
    Hmm that is a tough one as the OB shots are unmeasurable but you wouldn't want to be penalized with the penalty strokes as well. Perhaps, ave drive should only count for those that land in the fairway, therefore including 50 yard bunts that just make it as well as 300 yard rockets. No system is perfect, suppose you belt one out to 260 and it just trickles onto the first cut. It's a tough one.

How do you fellas calculate your ave drive, do you only count everything that hits the fairway, or is in play, or do you do as lms suggests and count all strokes including penalties?

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    On the PGA tour, they only measure the drives that remain in the fairway for average DISTANCE... there is no penalty for not hitting it in the fairway, it just doesn't count....
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

The PGA Tour stats are done using two holes where the players are likely to hit driver, one into the wind and one downwind. They then take the average.

For clowns like us, it's really a question of getting an accurate measurement either via GPA or laser. Laser is a little harder since the tee boxes don't always present a good target.

Last weekend playing in tough wet conditions we measured our drives from a tee box that had a row of trees at the back. Got to our balls in the fairway and lasered back to the trees which were 15 yards (measured) from the tee blocks.

A gargantuan 220 yards (cool weather and into the breeze and accounting for the distance to the trees) was measured. That includes the 1 foot of roll BTW.

A gargantuan 220 yards
    Yah, reality bites!

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    My carry depends on weather and terrain. It can vary from 225 to 255 yds, with the total distance varying, againd depending on conditions, from 235 to 280.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I know the yardages quite well at my course, been playing it for 6 years now. Last fall it was wet and cold and let me tell you if I carried the ball 230 it was a good drive. There was no roll, so that really showed how long the ball was in the air.
    Now with dry fairways I likely average 240-250. And that is realistic yardage. Swingspeed averages around 95 (Funny, Tom Wishon and I had emailed each back and forth today and that is his swingspeed too)
    I know my SS as I have been on the launch monitor the past few weeks, the same one used by Titleist for their outdoor testing. So pretty accurate readings.
    My longest drive this year? Right to left wind, firm fairways, 428 yard Par 4, I had 80 yards to the center of the green, we lasered it.
    Longest fairway wood off the tee, 280, 5 wood, 2nd hole at STG&CC. Man if you hit the downslope in the right spot on the fairway the ball rolls forever
    I chuckle when I read this statement "I hit it 320 all day, everytime I play" Well why ain't ya on TOUR BUDDY?
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    usually between 240-260, but i have been known to crack 300 when i hit it good. swing speed was just measured this week at an average of 111mph.

i read somewhere (cant find the link) that the majority ofgolfers only hit 220 yards. anyone that hits further than that is already ahead of the curve.

currently playing to a 9.8 cap.

there are only a couple of guys on there that are LONG! and i can vouch for at least one of them "John" aka. Jordan

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    I must have had the way they measure on the PGA wrong. I was under the impression they get their average distance including roll by taking their longest and shortest drives, then dividing by two. I didn't know they picked two holes a head of time, one being downwind and one into the wind. I mean the wind changes direction throughout a round in most cases.

Anyway, as stated above, unless you have a GPS device and or laser range finder, it's next to impossible to accurately measure you drives. Even with these two devices, it's very tough to measure your carry. I've done it on more than one occasion with the help of landmarks and a crappy roll, but it's never going to be spot on. That being said, how are you people measuring your carry distance? LOL!

I have no idea what my carry distance is this year. I'd guess 'deep' would be a good general term. LOL! My driver has been my most consistent club in the bag after I finally figured out which one I wanted to keep. I haven't played any hard fairway courses yet this year. They've mostly been soft, yet not wet so that there is no roll. I hit drives between 290 and 315 including roll. I always play on courses with GPS in the carts and have my range finder with me, so these are accurate to within a couple of yards. I've been told recently that most of my distance comes from a big weight shift in my lower body. Probably from playing hockey.

Oh, and my index is just over 2 now.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    That being said, how are you people measuring your carry distance? LOL!
    Lot's of rain here in the last week or two has meant some very mushy fairways.

Example, I had one ball that almost hit the 200 yard plate last week on the fly. I missed it by two feet. I had 198 to the center of the green.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Lot's of rain here in the last week or two has meant some very mushy fairways.

Example, I had one ball that almost hit the 200 yard plate last week on the fly. I missed it by two feet. I had 198 to the center of the green.
    That's fair....The one issue I have with this method of measuring is obvious. I mean the yardage is not always measured on the same path your ball flies. For example, on a slight dogleg left, you might have 200 left out of 475 yards, but you hit it there on a direct line, not straight up the middle of the fairway, then a slight left turn.

Thread Information