100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hole in One x3

Lob Wedge ToucanSam is on a distinguished road

Hole in One x3

I played the Predator course at Grehawk last night and when I arrived at the 8th Hole (Par 3) they actually had cut three different holes in the green and had a different colour flag at each. I didn't know which hole to shoot at so I just took a shot at the green and decided to putt to the hole that was closest.

Question: If I has actually gotten a hole in one would it have counted?

BTW - I birdied the hole but felt it felt very cheap - kinda like my last date!!

3 Iron hello_world is on a distinguished road
    played the same hole as you and had the same discussion with our playing group. We decided that a hole in one would not count on this green... which hole did you putt for your birdie? I hit mine toward the blue flag and got a birdie as well.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    I would think that you could count it as an ace if and only if you call the flag you are aiming at and get the ball in that hole.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Why on earth were there 3 holes on the green? Were there 3 flags as well? Was this in some kind of tournament?

Hello_World: Were you in the group of 3 guys playing extremely slow in front of me and my buddy? I was practising for a tournament and I couldn't get any tempo because of the pace you were going at.

BTW: I shot at the white flag

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ToucanSam View Post
    Hello_World: Were you in the group of 3 guys playing extremely slow in front of me and my buddy? I was practising for a tournament and I couldn't get any tempo because of the pace you were going at.

He was the guy in cargo shorts and a tee-shirt.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    OK OK ----- Golf is hard enough. Now you have to call your shots???
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmr73 View Post
    He was the guy in cargo shorts and a tee-shirt.
    ROFLMAO
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    So what's the deal with the 3 holes? I have never seen that before. Any explanation?
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    So what's the deal with the 3 holes? I have never seen that before. Any explanation?
    Jeez I asked that like 8 hours ago and still no reply......Must be some corporate event or something like that....

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    I have played in a tournament that had something similar. Essentially each of the flags is given a point value by color (white = 1, Red = 3 and blue = 5), when you hit to the green, you select which hole you want to go for to accumulate points and the person with the highest total points of the four par 3's wins a prize.

Now, that doesn't sound like what this was because it was only on one of the par 3's but it would still be my guess that this was a modified version of it.

Could be way out in left feel though, usually am
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

King Hawk Sphere Hunter is on a distinguished road Sphere Hunter's Avatar
    I've seen this before. From what I recall, it is a way of generating money for a charity event. You bet your cash in any amount that you can make birdie into any one of the holes. If you do, you double your money in proshop gift certificates. If you don't, the charity get's the cash.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    Jeez I asked that like 8 hours ago and still no reply......Must be some corporate event or something like that....
    Yah, what's up with that? Is it so off the grid that nobody knows?

Never mind, I see I was not the only one typing
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Just because you call your shot does not mean you have to get it. Unless you are the Babe of course.

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    OK OK ----- Golf is hard enough. Now you have to call your shots???

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Could be way out in left feel though, usually am
    I'll vouch for that

Sand Wedge lichty is on a distinguished road
    i was in a charity tourny and we had something like that as well but we had 5 flags...your four some pays 5 bucks (best ball) and you can putt into any hole, don't pay the 5 and you can only putt into the white.
    My slice is more like a U turn

maybe you should play with partners then and not expect to get a fast round in when you play by yourself? signles have no priority on the golf course in case you forgot.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hello_world View Post
    maybe you should play with partners then and not expect to get a fast round in when you play by yourself? signles have no priority on the golf course in case you forgot.
    I think he was playing with someone - see the bit about "in front of me and my buddy"?
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    I think he was playing with someone - see the bit about "in front of me and my buddy"?
    he might have had a buddy with him, but he was the only one playing...

?? so he had a caddy during a casual round (practising for a tournament?) If so, that doode is serious! But you're right, as a single, he'd have no standing.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

?? so he had a caddy during a casual round (practising for a tournament?) If so, that doode is serious! But you're right, as a single, he'd have no standing.
    exactly. we let him go and then the single behind him wants through, etc. etc. etc. Unfortuantely for him we are the members at the course, we pay the dues to keep it running, we have the right not to let him pass. However, i don't recall really playing that slowly and having him wait for all his shots. You would think that somebody playing a round like that would want to hit many different balls, shots and putts from different places on the greens anyway?

Anyway, sorry to break your focus, but I don't feel bad about it. You were a single on a members course, you get what you pay for...

If you know that there's no one behind the single (if one can see 'back' a few holes), then letting a single through might not be a biggie - ie if the the cart girl passes by and a couple of players in your group stop for a sammie, then letting the single slide by shouldn't be an issue... but I'm with ya, especially if he was preparing for a tournament, maybe he could take his time a bit, play two balls, putt and chip from various locations to different potential hole locations.

I know when I'm playing as a single I'll lay way back, perhaps play a couple of balls (no smart remarks required here!)... essentially, I won't press the group ahead of me - it's totally up to them if they decide to wait on me and let me pass through.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    exactly. we let him go and then the single behind him wants through, etc. etc. etc. Unfortuantely for him we are the members at the course, we pay the dues to keep it running, we have the right not to let him pass. However, i don't recall really playing that slowly and having him wait for all his shots. You would think that somebody playing a round like that would want to hit many different balls, shots and putts from different places on the greens anyway?

Anyway, sorry to break your focus, but I don't feel bad about it. You were a single on a members course, you get what you pay for...
    Just out of curiosity.. was there anyone in front of you? If not, you really should let a single thru, whether you pay the dues or not . If there were groups in front of you and you were keeping up (no open holes), then there is no reason to let a single thru .
    It's not a rule but it is good manners.

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    Just out of curiosity.. was there anyone in front of you? If not, you really should let a single thru, whether you pay the dues or not . If there were groups in front of you and you were keeping up (no open holes), then there is no reason to let a single thru .
    It's not a rule but it is good manners.
    I agree with that too... your group isn't obligated to let a single through, but if I were to notice that the doode was waiting on every hole / shot, I'd let him go just so as I don't feel like I'm holding someone up for the entire round... it's kinda like the guy who tailgates you in the left lane on the queensway, and you're doing 130 already... just pull to the right and let 'em go (he'll be getting the ticket before I will at least!)
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

I agree with that too... your group isn't obligated to let a single through, but if I were to notice that the doode was waiting on every hole / shot, I'd let him go just so as I don't feel like I'm holding someone up for the entire round... it's kinda like the guy who tailgates you in the left lane on the queensway, and you're doing 130 already... just pull to the right and let 'em go (he'll be getting the ticket before I will at least!)
    i didn't feel we were holding him up, maybe on the last hole he had some wait time. there was nobody in front of us either. HOwever, we were all trying to play before dark settled in, there was less then 10 minutes of light available. we wanted to finish our nine just as much as he. plus as I mentioned, we let him through, we slow down and then what, another single comes up behind us and wants through as well? were does the madness stop? I think he should have dropped a few balls and practiced some shots, isn't that what you do when you go through these "practice" rounds?

My belief is, you go out as a single, don't expect to get your round down in record speed, especially on a members course. good thing he didn't decide to go out on members night, then he would really be introduced to the concept of slow play!

i didn't feel we were holding him up, maybe on the last hole he had some wait time. there was nobody in front of us either. HOwever, we were all trying to play before dark settled in, there was less then 10 minutes of light available. we wanted to finish our nine just as much as he. plus as I mentioned, we let him through, we slow down and then what, another single comes up behind us and wants through as well? were does the madness stop? I think he should have dropped a few balls and practiced some shots, isn't that what you do when you go through these "practice" rounds?

My belief is, you go out as a single, don't expect to get your round down in record speed, especially on a members course. good thing he didn't decide to go out on members night, then he would really be introduced to the concept of slow play!
    I can understand that, trying to get your round in before the sun sets...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

For those of you wondering why there were three flags on the green - there was a corporate tourney earlier in the day and they just hadn't come out to remove the extra flags.

What's the deal with cargo shorts? I would estimate that probably 1 in 3 people on the golf courses that I play are wearing them. They are functional and for the most part are quite stylish. I don't see why that would be brought up in this thread.

I was hoping to get 18 holes in that day and these 3 guys kept me waiting on every hole. In fact, one of them would take multiple practice swings and then stand over his ball for what seemed like an eternity before he hit his shot - kinda like that ad on TV for Golftown (I think). And don't even ask me about how long they took to put - i thought I was at the Masters watching them line up their putts. Although I must admin there was only one of them that took a long time to do everything - the others seemed to be playing quickly.

I did notice people in front of them so I don't fault them - I just get frustrated sometimes that I don't have the course to myself!

For those of you wondering why there were three flags on the green - there was a corporate tourney earlier in the day and they just hadn't come out to remove the extra flags.

What's the deal with cargo shorts? I would estimate that probably 1 in 3 people on the golf courses that I play are wearing them. They are functional and for the most part are quite stylish. I don't see why that would be brought up in this thread.

I was hoping to get 18 holes in that day and these 3 guys kept me waiting on every hole. In fact, one of them would take multiple practice swings and then stand over his ball for what seemed like an eternity before he hit his shot - kinda like that ad on TV for Golftown (I think). And don't even ask me about how long they took to put - i thought I was at the Masters watching them line up their putts. Although I must admin there was only one of them that took a long time to do everything - the others seemed to be playing quickly.

I did notice people in front of them so I don't fault them - I just get frustrated sometimes that I don't have the course to myself!

that's funny! the guy you are talking about... I will have to tell him, because we razz him all the time about how freaking slow he is.

I don't know why people take so long to take a shot. The more time you think about taking a shot the more of a chance you will actually not execute. What is an accepted routine for this? I would say that while the others are shooting you should already be mentally preparing to take your shot. And seriously man - why do you need to circle the green, walk to and from the hole and practice your putting stroke 23 times before you're ready to shoot?

You partner was really slow with this - and he probably shot 45 on the nine holes to boot! If he can shoot 34-35 then I would say maybe take a bit more time but there has to be an acceptable limit to preparation time.

When you razz him about it does he actually understand why?

my bud is a great golfer. He regulary breaks 40 on 9 holes.... last night he was 4 under through 8 holes...

Some people just like to take their time... not much I can do about it... we still played the 9 holes in about 2 hours, what more can you expect? we were three, you were one... people in front of us, etc...

Thread Information