100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar

Schafer to Boston for Sean Donovan ?

Team 1200 reporting that nhl.com shows Schafer as a Bruin on there roster and Donovan as a Senator.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Just checked - Donovan is not listed as a Bruin but Schaefer is still a Sen

Hmm.. They are talking to Spezza now on the team.. he hasn't heard anything.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    From Eklund's hockeybuzz.com:

There is a rumour swirling around this morning that Ottawa Senator Peter Schaefer has been traded to Boston for Shean Donovan and a prospect/pick. I am looking into getting confirmation now...

Birdie Sensgirl is on a distinguished road Sensgirl's Avatar
    Done Deal, it has now been confirmed.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    From Eklund's hockeybuzz.com:

There is a rumour swirling around this morning that Ottawa Senator Peter Schaefer has been traded to Boston for Shean Donovan and a prospect/pick. I am looking into getting confirmation now...
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOO!

Donovan is a UFA next year and makes just under a million, while Schaefer is signed til 09/10 and making about 2.1 million. Schaefer is about a 1/2point per game player, while Donovan is a 1/4point per game player and is 2years older than Schaefer. Gotta say i HATE this trade, Donovan has only had more than 40points once in his career.

The only way i will admit this is a decent trade, is if this is simply a move to make cash to either sign Heatley now for long-term, or to have the extra 2 million next summer to sign him, although Murray is smart enough to do everything in his power to sign him NOW!

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Murray is no idiot, he knows what he is doing..... I don't think letting Shaffer go is a big deal, yes he was a grinder but he was also an underachiever. He may do better in Boston out of the limelight. If Murray picked up someone who is a UFA next year, then he is just setting things up to better his team by dumping the overpriced players that just aren't contributing at key times. I am convinced you will see Gerber move somewhere, even if they have to eat some of his salary.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    I like it.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Golf Nut Bullet is on a distinguished road Bullet's Avatar
    Not sure I like that deal....must read up about Donovan to find out more. I know that he's a decent player but I liked Schaefer
    Bad days golf, better then a good days work!

Donovan is solid! and a lot cheaper.. Frees up over a million in cap space.. Maybe if they could have got this done sooner Emery would be signed..

Donovan is live on the team1200 right now.

I liked Schaefer too, but, he didn't have a great year, and wasn't great in the playoffs. Donovan was great with Calgary when they went to game seven of the cup final against Tampa. I think Donovan makes us a better playoff team, and he frees up some cap room.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Donovan is pretty fast, will be good on the PK. Schaeffer had a pretty fat contract and was a chronic underachiever. That's not to say that he wasn't a decent player, just not getting the most out of what he has. They really have to bolster that second line though, Donovan sure won't play there.

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    donovan is fighting knee problems from last season and he's 2 years older...donovan has probably already had his best season with the flames where a lot say schaeffer is still looking for his best fit.... we shall see how the season unfolds...but in the grande scheme of things this is a nothing trade... 1 puck bag for a roll of tape if u ask me.
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Not a very good "improvement" move if you ask me. Schaefer was probably the best Sen at grinding along the boards. He may not have had 50 goals, but he created A LOT of chances by winning the battles in the corners and along the boards.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    Not a very good "improvement" move if you ask me. Schaefer was probably the best Sen at grinding along the boards. He may not have had 50 goals, but he created A LOT of chances by winning the battles in the corners and along the boards.
    i agree!

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Not a very good "improvement" move if you ask me.
    It is an improvement from a payroll standpoint, and will free up some cap space to sign Emery. You also have to think that Murray is looking forward to next year when he needs to do something with Heatley & Spezza.
    Schafer was not worth the money he was being paid & was one of the least popular players among his teammates. I like this trade.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    It is an improvement from a payroll standpoint, and will free up some cap space to sign Emery. You also have to think that Murray is looking forward to next year when he needs to do something with Heatley & Spezza.
    Schafer was not worth the money he was being paid & was one of the least popular players among his teammates. I like this trade.
    I could think of about 5 other players that I'd let go to free cap space before Schaefer.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    I could think of about 5 other players that I'd let go to free cap space before Schaefer.
    Such as?
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    Such as?
    Such as Redden, Gerber, Corvo, Eaves, Meszaros, Kelly.

Gerber and Redden alone are taking up a huge chunk of the salary cap, and it's obvious this was a cap move, or that Schaefer really didn't want to play in Ottawa.

Corvo and Meszaros are decent offensively, but they are a liability when it comes to defensive play.

The Redden and Meszaros tandem can be faulted for almost all the playoff losses this year, along with many regular season losses. It's a team game, but when you are on the ice on defense for as many goals the two of them were in the playoffs, that last line of defense is just about as good as two pilons.

Kelly played decent this year with Alfredsson, but you have to think about this, he never looked good until he played with a top notch player. You have to realize that top players make average and even below average players look good.

Eaves is a fourth line player at best, but he does not have the size to be. He has grit, but he'd be better off in the AHL.

Eaves and Kelly are not paid a whole lot of money, but neither was Schaefer to tell you the truth for what he brought to the team. He was never, and never expected to be a goal scorer. I'd say 50 and 47 points in the last two seasons is pretty decent considering most of the scoring came from the first line, not to mention, it's not like he was playing alongside goal scorers in the first place.

OR...Why did they not go after Matt Cullen? He's A LOT better player than Donovan and the Hurricanes just got him for a bag of pucks basically.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Let's not forget that Donovan has played for Team Canada and he's a local boy to boot.........I like this move.

Bottom line here is the Edmonton Golfer doesn't like any move the Sens make, and doen't hold Redden and Mezaros in high regard. Nothing we counterpoint to his opinions will make him think otherwise.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    Schaefer wanted out of Ottawa and asked to be traded a couple of times last year. He didn't see himself as a third line player. He was a valuable player to have on the team (even if he couldn't hit the net) and the Sens are going to be weaker without him. In the end, it was a move to save money. The Sens are going to have to find a truck load of money to hold on to their big names.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Bottom line here is the Edmonton Golfer doesn't like any move the Sens make, and doen't hold Redden and Mezaros in high regard. Nothing we counterpoint to his opinions will make him think otherwise.
    LOL! So far from the truth it's unbelievable.

You come up with an educated, non-bias opinion, then we might agree..

LOL! So far from the truth it's unbelievable.

You come up with an educated, non-bias opinion, then we might agree..

Ok, which moves that the Senators have made over the past 12 months do you feel were good moves?

Do you hold Redden and Mesaros in high regard and I'm just misinterpreting you when you repeatedly tell us they are defensive liabilities?

I clearly don't understand.

Educate me. Please.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Ok, which moves that the Senators have made over the past 12 months do you feel were good moves?

Do you hold Redden and Mesaros in high regard and I'm just misinterpreting you when you repeatedly tell us they are defensive liabilities?

I clearly don't understand.

Educate me. Please.

List the trades or transactions they have made in the past 12 months and I will tell you which ones I do and don't like, and give you a reason why or why I don't like them.

No I do not hold Redden or Meszaros in high regard. What you were completely wrong about was that I don't like any move the Senators make and that any counterpoint to my opinions you make, will not sway my opinion.

I don't think my opinions are the only ones out there, but unless you come up with concrete evidence or a decent example of how my opinion is off base, then it will stay the same.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Such as Redden, Gerber, Corvo, Eaves, Meszaros, Kelly.

you think Murray isn't trying to move Redden, Gerver and Corvo? He is but it isn't that simple.

Eaves Mezaros and Kelly are staying put. they make way less that Schaefer and are decent young talent. Mezaros will be a 1-2 defenceman in a few years.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hybrid harbacostal is on a distinguished road
    Schaefer never recovered from the crippling hit he put on Conolly. Something about that hit took the edge off of Schaefer's game. He used to be a fearsome open ice hitter...those days are gone for sure.

Donovan is a fairly big guy with more speed than most everyone in the league. He seems like a great guy and a real team player. He kills penalties, and will never be a distraction in the room.

Hybrid harbacostal is on a distinguished road
    Seems to me that neither of you lads are Redden fans at all. Which is fine. I personally think he was hampered by a groin injury for most of the playoffs. Additionally he was forced to play with Meszaros which can make anyone look foolish. When your defence partner may at any time do something completely off the wall it can make you look really silly.

Speaking of Meszaros wasn't this his second year in the league? And didn't he play all of the first year with a monster named Chara next to him? Oddly enough playing with that shutdown beast covered up a lot of his defensive liabilities...which may also be cured over time.

Now you all say Corvo is useless and looked terrible out there. Personally I'd say gve it some time, at the start of the season while they were mired in their slump he was one of the only guys out there who looked angry about it to me. He was trying to make the difference unlike some of the rest of them who were showing that traditional Ottawa panic mode. Unfortunately for him he's a Muckler guy, and Muckler's gone. The rumours are running rampant now about a rift between Muckler and Murray...and there's no better way to make your GM look stupid than by not playing any of his big name acquisitions...just a thought...

As to Gerber he was horrific at the start of the season trying to adjust to a new team. And all new defencemen, who were also trying to adjust to each other. Don't forget Ottawa lost Chara, and Pothier. They brought in Corvo, and Preissing. That combined with injuries changed the number of minutes, and defensive pairings all season long. I'd say Redden and Meszaros were both exposed a bit by the increase in ice time....

At the end of the season Gerber played well. And I can remember watching him in Carolina...there were games when Ottawa basically rolled over that team and still lost because of Gerber...he can play. His contract is too big (thanks Muckler) but he has some game.

Anyhow that's my rant.

Gerber can definitely play, but he's unhappy with a backup role, and if a player is unhappy, he tends not to play to his abilities. It's kind of hard to get pumped up to sit at the end of the bench time and time out. He'll probably shine somewhere else if he gets the minutes, but maybe not...I've never seen him play a full season as a starter so it's tough to say.

Corvo skates very well, has good hands and an offensive mind, but he is not very good defensively. I could see him thrown into a Gerber trade.

Thread Information