I am having a hard time these days like most do. But I remember when I "was very consistent" with my ball striking, my good rounds and bad rounds would be +/-5 strokes, not +/-10 or more like these days. I was a 2 hcp and my good days were 71-72 and my bad days would be 75-76. These days I am a 6 hcp and my good days would be 74-75 but my bad days could be anywhere from 81-94. I think you need good mechanical in your full swing as well as your short games. The putting is overated. As Dave Pelz said "it's not how well you putt, it's where you are putting from". Anywhere outside 10 feet, even the pros make less than 50% of the time. The time I was consistent I spent most of my time on the range hitting driver, 5 wood, 8 iron and PW. I bought membership at the range and was there at least 2-3 hours a day and 3-4 days a week. It paid off.
I have been playing with guys who are very consistent days in days out and they HAVE BEEN PLAYING GOOD GOLF SINCE THEY WERE KIDS. That's the key. You either practice OR play GOOD golf long enough to "HAVE" it in your muscle memory so that your bad days are still OK. The short game and the putting game are to help you lower your score IF YOU HAVE THE LONG GAME to get you there. If you have to hit three of the tee, your short game and your putting can't save you.
I hear you Mike. I haven't put much time into practicing lately therefore I won't expect "consistency" to show up anytimes soon. I will put in my time though so that I have a chance at the club championship comes September. Too bad we don't have a driving range at our course. I will find the way.

Thom