CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar

Is it ever too hot to play golf?

Just wondering if you diehards ever cancel a round due to extreme heat? For the past week, there has been a heat wave in BC. The daytime high was 35 deg C today in the central interior. Anyways, several friends had planned to have a round of golf today, but we had cancelled due to the extreme heat. Since I grew up in the sunny Okanagan, it doesn't get really warm until the high 30's or low 40's.

At 12 noon today (with the afternoon off and no tee time booked) and the temps hovering around 30, I was seriously thinking about running home to get my clubs and head out to a local pasture course (no tee times required).....a forecast of a severe thunderstorm in the late afternoon or early evening made me think otherwise.

Anyone else?

Dave

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    It's been hot for the past two days here in Edmonton. Both days I was contemplating golfing, but I don't like being uncomfortable when swinging the club. I hate when my shirt sleeves stick to me....

That being said, the last couple of days of golf in Arizona were mid 90's when I was there in April, one of which I played 36 holes. I think the difference there was the cool breeze and the great surroundings keeping me going. It's the humidity Ottawa or the interior B.C gets, that really sucks. It's normally breezy when it's hot here in Edmonton, so it's not as bad as the stagnant heat.

1 Iron Tanglegrip is on a distinguished road Tanglegrip's Avatar
    I played last year at 35C and high humidity with I think a noon tee off time. Not surprizing I didn't run into anyone else the whole round which took under 3 hours. Drank lots of water but still felt the effects of the heat. The next day was even hotter and I stayed inside with the AC on full.

Next time I'll take it a bit slower and be able to play both days! Live and learn.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I guess in theory it can be but I have yet to experience here in Ottawa.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Anything over 27 degrees is nuts---I don't enjoy the round--shirt sticks to your shoulders--forehead stings from sweat and can't see because of water on your glasses---enough is enough
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Yes I have done it. also regretted it. I don't take heat well. Recently walked 18 at the meadows where the humidity level was at 39. by the last few holes I felt really ill. It finished me off, spent the rest of the day sleeping it off. and nooooooooo I didn't have any beer

So next time out when it was even hotter I just took a cart. Muuuuuuuuch better. I will always do that now when it gets over about 28 reg. for 18

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    There is a big difference if one factors in humidity. It's mainly dry heat in the Okanagan and the central interior.

I can't possibly fathom golfing on days in southern Ontario where the temps are in mid 30's plus high humidity. Mid 20's with high humidity would likely be my upper limit for golf.

Dave

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Try Mississippi or Alabama in the afternoon in the summer time
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    In order to play 150 rounds during our Ontario golf season I have played rounds in those tempatures.
    Now however I tee it up before 7:30AM on weekends and beat the heat. That is the only way to fly
    Make sure you drink plenty of water or Gatorade if you play in that heat. Heat strokes are not fun to deal with. I have never had one but I have seen it happen.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Heat strokes are not fun to deal with
    Neither are cramps in the middle of the night
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I normally won't walk a course when it gets above 92 degrees,(just too old for that nonsense now) I played 18 holes in a cart, (cart path only) 2 years ago when it was 111 degrees in Phoenix(actually set a record that day, which isn't a good thing when it comes to heat in Phoenix ). My buddy only made it thru 14 holes and quit, just sat in the cart and drank water. It wasn't all that uncomfortable but it just drains you. I bet ya if I didn't have a chance to break par I would have quit also.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    I don't mind playing in a swamp of heat, worst part is now that I wear glasses I have to carry one of those gas station packages of kleenex around to keep them clean.

I've always liked the heat, I think it's funny watching people sloth around the course. After the round I start the car a let it (and me) cool off before I climb in and stick to it.

2 Iron goto10 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post

Neither are cramps in the middle of the night
    I get bad cramps too. I bring 2 bananas with me now when I'm walking, I eat one just before the round and 1 after 9 holes. I was skeptical about it, but wouldn't you know it, it seems to actually work.

1 Iron Tanglegrip is on a distinguished road Tanglegrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    August 1st 2006, according to Environment Canada the temperature at Ottawa International was 33.8 at noon and 35.8 at 3pm. Believe me it was cooking out there!

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec....&Month=8&Day=1

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Yes and No.

If you're run down, overly tired, kinda burnt out or stressed out and just low on energy then definately. If you're of good health and fully rested and ready to go I don't think it's ever too hot if you plan ahead and bring the appropriate requirements to stay cool and hydrated.

How bad do you want to play...

Golf Pig of the Year 07,08 rpangman is on a distinguished road rpangman's Avatar
    My wife and I play almost every day, regardless of the temperature. We use a riding cart here (S. Ont.), but have also played and walked in Florida when it has been in the 90-98 F range. I guess the heat and humidity don't bother us much. We do drink a lot of water when we play in the heat.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    I usually tee-off before 7:15am, so the heat is usually just kickin' in as our rounds is finishing up. I never play in the afternoon.

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Two years ago I was playing a Slammer Tour event at Irish Hills. It was 32 or 33 and crept up over the 40 mark on the Humidex scale. I hadn't realized that the temperature and humidity would go up so high - I never walk and carry my clubs when it gets up that high.

I remember drinking lots and lots of Gatorade that day (every time the cart came by, and it seemed to be every three holes or so I bought one Gatorade and one water) and by the time the 16th hole came, I said something to the effect of "if I drink another one of those Gatorades, I think I'm going to barf!!) I bought two more bottles of water.

We trudged up to the 18th tee and I hit my drive. After walking back to pick up my bag I felt a nice and refreshing, cool and tingly sensation. I told my fellow competitors that because we were only 200 yards away from the clubhouse I'd play out and immediately get inside... but to please keep an eye on me. Feeling cool and tingly surely has to be one of the warning signs of bad things to come.

Another litre of water, "hosing myself off" in the bathroom sink and 30 minutes in the air conditioned clubhouse later, I seemed to be OK.

If I play in 40+ humidex weather I cart it. That day caught me by surprise... hoofing it with a relatively heavy carry bag (I like it heavyish for the exercise) is not a good idea on the extreme days.

And as for jvincent's assertion that he hasn't seen this kind of weather in Ottawa... two or three years ago I remember playing in a HOT AND HUMID two week period. One day it was so humid I couldn't keep my gloves dry. I went to Nevada Bob's and they recommended rain gloves for those days. Worked like a charm. We've had spurts of nasty summertime days. Not really this year though - where's that global warming!?!

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Just wondering if you diehards ever cancel a round due to extreme heat? For the past week, there has been a heat wave in BC. The daytime high was 35 deg C today in the central interior. Anyways, several friends had planned to have a round of golf today, but we had cancelled due to the extreme heat. Since I grew up in the sunny Okanagan, it doesn't get really warm until the high 30's or low 40's.

At 12 noon today (with the afternoon off and no tee time booked) and the temps hovering around 30, I was seriously thinking about running home to get my clubs and head out to a local pasture course (no tee times required).....a forecast of a severe thunderstorm in the late afternoon or early evening made me think otherwise.

Anyone else?

Dave
    I am def. starting to get used to the high heat in Hamilton. I am from Thunder Bay, where the high doesn't normally rise above 30, and because we are right on lake Superior, the humidity is almost nil. Now, already this summer i have golfed on days when the heat+humidity has been topping near 40!! Trust me, its not fun at all, but i played in it for one simple reason, which is the same reason i play when its pouring out. When i get to a tourney and it gets really hot, i know my competitors are gonna be more uncomfortable than me because they don't play in the high heat, which hopefully gives me an advantage. For some reason i love playing golf in adverse conditions, perhaps it makes me focus harder and i feel more satisfied with a good score. It also helps that because i am a new member at a private club, i really don't have playing partners, so i know that on extreme days, either heat or rain, i will have a much better chance of getting out as a single and not having to wait on every shot!

3 Iron hello_world is on a distinguished road
    two words:

Golf Cart

Gap Wedge Grimm is on a distinguished road
    I played Predator Ridge last week out near Vernon, B.C., and it was quite warm, tempwise at 32 degrees. By the time I drove back to Kelowna, the temp was 39 degrees! Funny thing was, I wasn't sweating! There was no humidity. Yesterday, it was 24 degrees here in Ottawa and I sweated like crazy! I was more uncomfortable yesterday due to the humidity here.

To answer the topic question: No, I have never cancelled a round due to the heat, but I do try to book a round extra early to avoid the midday sun, always.

3 Iron hello_world is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
    I played Predator Ridge last week out near Vernon, B.C., and it was quite warm, tempwise at 32 degrees. By the time I drove back to Kelowna, the temp was 39 degrees! Funny thing was, I wasn't sweating! There was no humidity. Yesterday, it was 24 degrees here in Ottawa and I sweated like crazy! I was more uncomfortable yesterday due to the humidity here.

To answer the topic question: No, I have never cancelled a round due to the heat, but I do try to book a round extra early to avoid the midday sun, always.

if you weren't sweating you were probably dehydrated...

Pitching Wedge spart is on a distinguished road
    Played today in Ottawa with temp at 35 and no idea what the humidex was...except it was high. I walked using a push cart and it was fine, although I tried to walk slower than my normal pace. We had a little breeze which helped. Lots of water and gatorade - I tried to take a sip each time I stopped. Although I did not do it today, another thing which helps is to put up the umbrella.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Last Friday I played Canadian in 42 degree weather (with Humidex). After I got home, I mowed the lawn. Needless to say; after that was finished I was quite dehydrated and my legs were cramping.

Today I played at Manderley and it was hot again, but the slight breeze helped.

I am supposed to play Manderley tomorrow afternoon and I think this time around I might act like a wuss and break out the umbrella to shield from direct sun. Sun Mountain cart have holders so it will be effortless to do so.

To answer the original question, I have never yet cancelled a round becasue of heat. I much prefer to play and suffer after.

9 Iron speedoodler is on a distinguished road speedoodler's Avatar

too hot

NO!!!!!Never.....Think about the short season and how you wish youj had one more round...Drink plenty of water, wear a hat and play .........

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Cancel a round?????? Thats why they invented carts
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Cancel a round?????? Thats why they invented carts
    and Beer
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

I played this morning at the course I work at. This is a hilly tree lined course, and there barely a breeze a blowing during the entire round. Teed off shortly after 8 AM and man it was smokin hot by then! I rode, being smart! The 4 young kids that went out with me took turns off and on the cart.
    By the 3rd hole I was sweating and glad I took that cart. Went through 5 bottles of water during the round and was not bothered by the heat. By time we finished the heat index was 39 C. I would say that is warm
    As Mac said "That is why they invented carts" Of course carts are only to be used by people over 50 years of age! On really hot days like today. Otherwise walk!

Quote Originally Posted by speedoodler View Post
    NO!!!!!Never.....Think about the short season and how you wish youj had one more round...Drink plenty of water, wear a hat and play .........
    I always think that thought around Dec.1. Man this season was short, better get in another 10 rounds before it snows

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    I played this morning at the course I work at. This is a hilly tree lined course, and there barely a breeze a blowing during the entire round. Teed off shortly after 8 AM and man it was smokin hot by then! I rode, being smart! The 4 young kids that went out with me took turns off and on the cart.
    By the 3rd hole I was sweating and glad I took that cart. Went through 5 bottles of water during the round and was not bothered by the heat. By time we finished the heat index was 39 C. I would say that is warm
    As Mac said "That is why they invented carts" Of course carts are only to be used by people over 50 years of age! On really hot days like today. Otherwise walk!
    I am not 50, but no way I was walking out there today. Way too hot. Cart all the way.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Thread Information