100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tarandowah

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

Tarandowah

The St Thomas Times Journal as a coupon in todays paper (Friday July 13) for a Two For One at Tarandowah.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

4PUTT
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    The St Thomas Times Journal as a coupon in todays paper (Friday July 13) for a Two For One at Tarandowah.

Don't know if that is the same coupon that you can pick up at Golf Town, but if it is you need to rent a power cart to get the special.

Might be worth checking.

Quote Originally Posted by 4PUTT View Post
    Don't know if that is the same coupon that you can pick up at Golf Town, but if it is you need to rent a power cart to get the special.

Might be worth checking.
    With the cart is costs $32.50 before 3 PM. So being forced to rent the cart is no big deal, plus some of the walks from greens to tees out there are long. Taking a cart makes it easier. I played the course a few weeks ago.

Lob Wedge randrews581 is on a distinguished road randrews581's Avatar
    I played Tarandowah a month ago and was blown away!! The course is a wonderful layout, reminded me a lot of the Heathlands course at Osprey Valley. Aside from a few cosmetic imperfections, associated with it being the first year and the much reported financial troubles that plagued the project, the course was brilliant! I'm playing it again on Friday morning and, as per your advice, grabbed a 2 for 1 coupon from Golf Town. I heard that the Par 3 third hole is no longer under repair, so we'll get a chance to see that green for the first time which looked challenging. Expect a full report of my experience and the course conditions come Saturday.

I am playing Tarandowah tomorrow and likewise I am looking forward to the 3rd hole being open.
    It is a pretty decent layout from what I saw. All it needs is to mature and some more tweaking here and there.

It will not be the type of golf course that everyone can go out and play. High winds will take the enjoyment out of golf for a lot of people.
    For those that find conditions like that a challenge then it is right up their alley!
    I'll let everyone know what the course conditions are like after tomorrow.

Albatross TourIQ is on a distinguished road TourIQ's Avatar
    I am playing Tarandowah tomorrow ...
    High winds will take the enjoyment out of golf for a lot of people.
    So will lots of rain ... see ya tomorrow at the links
    Kind regards, Harry

Quote Originally Posted by TourIQ View Post
    So will lots of rain ... see ya tomorrow at the links

No problem with the rain. I have a Second Skin rain jacket, and I just bought some Callaway Rain Gloves. Bring it on

I went back to Tarandowah yesterday and I must say the course is improving somewhat. Considering the dry summer this area has seen.

The greens were in pretty good shape. Not the fastest I have played but then again it pored rain for the first 6 holes so that slowed them down.

Fairways are also improving, still some bare spots though. The rough needs major improvement. I noticed that is has been slit, so that might help it fill in.

Is the course worth the full green fee price right now? IMO no. But they are offering 2 for 1 coupons in local papers almost every week. So if you have those (we did) it means you play and ride for $32. You must take a cart when using the 2 for 1 coupons.

If this course continues to have some money put into it then it could very well become a great course in 5-10 years. It has the potential, it just needs the money and time to mature.

Our only beef was the fact that after our round we could not get anything to eat there. No burgers, dogs etc were being offered. I realize it was a Thursday but if you advertise those items in your clubhouse you better be able to serve them any day of the week.

Albatross TourIQ is on a distinguished road TourIQ's Avatar
    I went back to Tarandowah yesterday and I must say the course is improving somewhat. Considering the dry summer this area has seen.

The greens were in pretty good shape. Not the fastest I have played but then again it pored rain for the first 6 holes so that slowed them down.

Fairways are also improving, still some bare spots though. The rough needs major improvement. I noticed that is has been slit, so that might help it fill in.

Is the course worth the full green fee price right now? IMO no. But they are offering 2 for 1 coupons in local papers almost every week. So if you have those (we did) it means you play and ride for $32. You must take a cart when using the 2 for 1 coupons.

If this course continues to have some money put into it then it could very well become a great course in 5-10 years. It has the potential, it just needs the money and time to mature.

Our only beef was the fact that after our round we could not get anything to eat there. No burgers, dogs etc were being offered. I realize it was a Thursday but if you advertise those items in your clubhouse you better be able to serve them any day of the week.
    I agree with Golfbum. Great deal at $32 with coupon, but I wouldn't want to pay full price.
    Kind regards, Harry

9 Iron speedoodler is on a distinguished road speedoodler's Avatar
    Played today...Must say the course overall has potential...I found the green s to be very good and true...Most of the fairways are ok....rough needs work, but in a few years and with some cash and mother nature's help, it could be quite nice...

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar

Our only beef was the fact that after our round we could not get anything to eat there. No burgers, dogs etc were being offered.
    Don't blame the course GB - that was God Almighty himself who was looking down and thinking........"Didn't he learn anything from his heart attack??"

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Don't blame the course GB - that was God Almighty himself who was looking down and thinking........"Didn't he learn anything from his heart attack??"

You might want to know, I had two TOSSED SALADS while at work this week!

Quote Originally Posted by speedoodler View Post
    Played today...Must say the course overall has potential...I found the green s to be very good and true...Most of the fairways are ok....rough needs work, but in a few years and with some cash and mother nature's help, it could be quite nice...
    The key word in your post is "CASH"

If they run out it will be a cow pasture. I think they need to keep doing what they are doing as far as 2 for 1 deals etc. It gets people on the course when there normally would not be anyone playing.

With that location they need to generate as much traffic as they can. To be honest I would not go out there and pay full price right now. But with the 2 for 1, it costs $32.50 with a cart, and that is a decent price.

9 Iron speedoodler is on a distinguished road speedoodler's Avatar
    Hey Bum...It's too bad, because the place has some promise...and like i said, the greens I thought were really nice to putt on...oh well.

Golf Pig of the Year 07,08 rpangman is on a distinguished road rpangman's Avatar
    I played the course with Golfbum a week ago and enjoyed it. Greens and fairways were in good shape. Very interesting layout. Keeps a guy thinking. I agree with Golfbum though, they need to kep running specials to attract the golfers. It's not ready for full price yet.

4PUTT
    Played it today and had a lot of fun, it is a very humbling course, as long as your straight up the center you will be okay.

This is going to be a great course but things that disappointed us were no 100 yard markers and they didn't seem to care and the yardage on the par 3's were way off. On most of them we had to hit a ball to estimate how far we were playing.

It is a must try course though , you will have fun.

Thread Information