CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar

Testing the putting surface...

Please see this thread and post re: testing the putting surface during match play...

Please advise on ruling (please read post before - details are important)

http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showpost...&postcount=329

Thanks

LBH

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    See Decision 16-1d/5.

16-1d/5 Rubbing Ball on Putting Green for Cleaning Purposes

Q. May a player clean his ball by rubbing it on the putting green?

A. Yes, provided the act is not for the purpose of testing the surface of the putting green. It is recommended that a ball be cleaned in other ways to eliminate any question as to the player’s intentions.

From the sound of it in your post he's intending to clean his ball, not test the surface. No harm, no foul, unless you can prove otherwise.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Therefore Terry wins 2up - Thanks

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I always try to carry a small towel/cloth with me on to the green for that purpose. Failing that, I will sometimes use the inside of my pants/shorts pocket, if the ball's not too dirty.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

I am not about to question his intentions... but I agree - he should use another mean to clean his ball.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Man, I would hate to lose a hole because I did not know all the rules. I have to read the rules so I do not get embarassed by something like this.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Can one clean their ball using the rough or fairway? Would that cause any confusion?

I usually use my towel on my bag but if I'm not close to my bag then I thought I would save time and just rub it on the green. I'll try carrying a towel while on the green.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    No need to stop doing it at all. It's permitted to clean the ball this way. I don't think you could learn anything about the speed of the green by rubbing off some mud.
    I am not about to question his intentions... but I agree - he should use another mean to clean his ball.
    I would save time and just rub it on the green. I'll try carrying a towel while on the green.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    No need to stop doing it at all. It's permitted to clean the ball this way. I don't think you could learn anything about the speed of the green by rubbing off some mud. It's a common and convenient way to do it.
    I would save time and just rub it on the green. I'll try carrying a towel while on the green.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    No need to stop doing it at all. It's permitted to clean the ball this way. I don't think you could learn anything about the speed of the green by rubbing off some mud.
    True, but on greens that have a lot of grain it may be advantageous, when wiping the ball, to see which way the grass is lying.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    If they have 'a lot of grain' you would be able to see it. You wouldn't need to touch it.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    If they have 'a lot of grain' you would be able to see it. You wouldn't need to touch it.
    ... provided the act is not for the purpose of testing the surface of the putting green. It is recommended that a ball be cleaned in other ways to eliminate any question as to the player’s intentions.
    If it is recommended that the ball be cleaned in other ways and if checking for the grain is not something that would be determined by cleaning the ball on the green, for what other reasons MIGHT the golfer gain an advantage?

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Length of cut, moisture content two most obvious things you can test.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I think by the 17th hole he knew what the greens were doing, all a moot point anyhow,
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Thread Information