100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge randrews581 is on a distinguished road randrews581's Avatar

Reshaft Titleist 980F - Graphite to Steel

Just acquired a Titleist 980F 17* fairway wood with the Grafalloy ProLite shaft from a friend to compliment my 905R driver. I was hoping to replace the shaft with a Dynamic Gold S300, but a local clubmaker said he wouldn't recommend the change. I have always had steel shafts in my fairway woods and would feel more comfortable making the switch. I was wondering if anyone had experienced any problems doing this or if anyone could perhaps give me a little insight into why the clubmaker might not recommend going to steel. Thanks!!

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Did he say why?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Just that the playing characteristics change drastically and 90% of the time people go back to their graphite shafts. I had trouble with this because I've seen so many 980F's w/ steel shafts, both aftermarket and from the manufacturer. In the end he said he would do it, but that he strongly recommends against it. I told him I'd take some more time to think about it. I hoped to get a little insight from the clubmakers here. Cheers!

Spoke to a Titleist club rep today through a friend of mine and found an answer. Essentially the club head that is used in conjunction with a light graphite shaft, such as my Grafalloy ProLite, is heavier than the head that they would use when installing a steel shaft from the manufacturer. If I were to install a steel shaft into a head intended for a lighter graphite shaft my club would be too heavy. The explanation seems reasonable to me, I only wish the clubmaker could have explained it to me in those terms. Looks like I'm stuck with the club until I find a 904F w/ a DGS300 shaft.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    What he meant (the Titleist guy) is that the swingweight will be higher than normal which in itself is not a prerequisite to hit the ball well. Swingweight could be translated in other words to how heavy the head feels. One thing you have to keep in mind is if you go with a steel shaft the final length is usually shorter than a graphite shaft which will offset the swingweight issue unless the clubhead is heavier than normal. You could still offset those issues by
    1) making the club shorter than it is now
    2)Go with a lighter steel shaft..

The industry has for years established a D2 swingweight as a standard but if I add 10 grams to the head(or make the shaft longer) I will end up at D7. 10 grams is the weight of 2 quarters approximately. Peanuts if you ask me but then again it is just an opinion.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Interesting. Thanks!!

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by randrews581 View Post
    Spoke to a Titleist club rep today through a friend of mine and found an answer. Essentially the club head that is used in conjunction with a light graphite shaft, such as my Grafalloy ProLite, is heavier than the head that they would use when installing a steel shaft from the manufacturer. If I were to install a steel shaft into a head intended for a lighter graphite shaft my club would be too heavy. The explanation seems reasonable to me, I only wish the clubmaker could have explained it to me in those terms. Looks like I'm stuck with the club until I find a 904F w/ a DGS300 shaft.
    What loft are you looking for?
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Golfbum, ideally I'd want the 17 degree model and keep my current set up, but I would also consider a 15 degree.

Golfbum, ideally I'd want the 17 degree model and keep my current set up, but I would also consider a 15 degree.
    I will see what is in the used section and let you know. I don't think there are any there right now, but there has been in the past. Stiff or reg?

I want it in a True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 shaft.

I want it in a True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 shaft.

I checked today while I was at the store and there are no Titleist fairway woods of any kind in stock. Sorry

No worries, but thanks!! If my search comes up empty I might just take my chances and throw a steel shaft in my 980F. Who knows, perhaps my ideal swing weight is much heavier than the norm. I haven't really tinkered with my clubs too much in the past, outside of lead tape on my putters and wedges that is.

Thread Information