CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Putting

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar

Putting

How many of you have tried or are using the lead hand low technique? I'm having a hell of a time putting as of late. I shot 82 the other day with 6 lip outs and a couple of three putts that would have been two putts if I could have lagged them well enough.

I'm thinking of switching over to this grip because I find my takeaway is iffy at best with the traditional style with lead had high.

Anyone else experiment with this? Results? Good? Bad?

Thanks

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Even I haven't resorted to left hand low. That's one step closer to belly putter.

I will every now and then "split" my hands so that my right hand is near the bottom of the grip and the left hand is in the normal position.

On a related note, I actually putted pretty well today. Sank a monster for birdie, lagged it pretty well, and even made a few 6-7 footers for par.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

When you say "resort", do you mean this in terms of lead hand low being low on the totem pole? I'm only asking because I've been reading Dave Pelz's putting bible and he seems to think that lead hand low putting might be the way to go.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    When you say "resort", do you mean this in terms of lead hand low being low on the totem pole?
    Correct. I've tried it a few times on the practice green and I just feels awful. No feel or sense of speed.

One thing to consider, I shoot right in hockey so left hand low is like a backhand for me. If you shoot left, it might work for you.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Correct. I've tried it a few times on the practice green and I just feels awful. No feel or sense of speed.

One thing to consider, I shoot right in hockey so left hand low is like a backhand for me. If you shoot left, it might work for you.
    I shoot right but find that since I played a lot of competitive hockey throughout my life, not to mention starting before golf, that the wrists come into play sometimes when I don't want them too. Happens when I release too early in my swing too.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    EG, lead hand low is great for what you are describing, you may also try the claw grip which makes the take away much smoother. I suffered from the same afdliction and I am a firm believer in switching things around with the flat stick when the stroke goes. FYI, I also had my putter fitted at Golfworks recently and it has made a world of difference to my touch and my takeaway and swing path. I actually went from a 35" to a 33" putter and I find I am on line much more often. Hope this helps.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    I’m the opposite. I practice the hell out when my putting goes bad. For me it’s not changing anything radical. The trick for me is to find a way to practice with immediate feedback. Usually when I lip-out lots or push/pull my putts I go back to two fundamental drills.

1) On the practice green I find a straight 12-foot putt to the hole. I put tees at 3-6-9 and 12 feet from the hole. I putt the 3 footer and then go to the 6-foot ball and so on. If I miss one put I start back to the 3-footer. Since this is a straight putt, pushing or pulling the putt will automatically make you miss. You’ll putt lots of 3 and 6-foot putts witch is never bad.

2) The second drill is to replicate the work on the first drill but add feel to it. Find a breaking 6-footer. Place two tees as close together as possible but the ball must be able to pass through. You can start wide and then bring the tees closer together. Place the ball about a foot behind those two tees. Putt the ball through the tees, through the break and hole it. The trick is to set-up aiming between the tees and then forget they are there. Do your routine and hit the ball. The ball will tell you if your stroke is bad.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Thread Information