100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Pitching Wedge jeff is on a distinguished road

What if a ball is hit in hole by others?

In Par 3, what if a ball is hit in hole by others? Hole in one?

Many thanks.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Do you mean:

Your ball has come to rest on the green after your shot. One of the others you are playing with takes his shot, his ball hits your ball and your ball goes in the hole?

If that is the case, if I'm not mistaken, you have to put your ball back to approx. the original location and the person you are playing with plays their ball as it lies.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Thank you very much Geoff!

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Depending on your putting ability (and stroke play), I think you could just take the two stroke penalty and take a 3 on the hole.

Above the hole ... on a very fast green ... might be worth it.

Unfortunately in match play you would lose the hole if you tried this option.
    Back at it.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Started2k3 View Post
    Depending on your putting ability (and stroke play), I think you could just take the two stroke penalty and take a 3 on the hole.

I didn't think there was a penalty for your ball moving if someone else's ball hits it. I was reading the rules the other day on this topic and I believe you playing partner plays his ball where it rests and you move your ball back to where it was.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

Actually, that would be a serious breach of the rules and you'd most likely be DQ'd under Rule 1-3.

Geoff is right, Rule 18-5.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Actually, that would be a serious breach of the rules and you'd most likely be DQ'd under Rule 1-3.

Geoff is right, Rule 18-5.
    Where's the love? I was right too.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Yes you were.

Shame on you Lobbie for not acknowledging EG's expertise!
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    Yes you were.

Shame on you Lobbie for not acknowledging EG's expertise!
    I'm hardly an "expert". LOL! There are way to many 'ifs' and exceptions for me remember. I envy those who can remember them all.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Try finding an interesting rules question by reading the rules and decisions on a weekly basis for 10 years. It has done wonders for my understanding of the rules, but I still get rulings wrong on the course sometimes. I can imagine what it takes to pass the official's exam.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

I believe that this decision would come into play. Playing the ball from the wrong spot - in the hole.

Decision 20-7c/7

Question:
    n stroke play, a competitor in replacing his ball on the putting green inadvertently put the ball in a wrong place nearby and holed out. The error was then discovered and the competitor put his ball in the right place and holed out. What is the ruling?

Answer:
    The score with the ball played from the wrong place counts and the competitor must add two penalty strokes to that score (Rule 16-1b or 20-3a and 20-7c). The competitor incurs no penalty for having putted from the right place after holing out from a wrong place. (Revised – Formerly 20-7b/1)
    Back at it.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I believe that this decision would come into play. Playing the ball from the wrong spot - in the hole.

Decision 20-7c/7

Question:
    n stroke play, a competitor in replacing his ball on the putting green inadvertently put the ball in a wrong place nearby and holed out. The error was then discovered and the competitor put his ball in the right place and holed out. What is the ruling?

Answer:
    The score with the ball played from the wrong place counts and the competitor must add two penalty strokes to that score (Rule 16-1b or 20-3a and 20-7c). The competitor incurs no penalty for having putted from the right place after holing out from a wrong place. (Revised – Formerly 20-7b/1)
    Firstly, props to EG for getting it right too. My bad.

Secondly, Started2k3 this decision refers to having already marked and lifted your ball on the green prior to putting. The player in question inadvertently replaced his ball at the wrong place (probably someone else's marker looked the same as his) and played from there. That's a 2 stroke penalty. This exact thing happened to me a few years ago in a tournament. I used a nickel to mark my ball on the green. Meanwhile someone in the groups ahead of me must have dropped a nickel on the green and left it behind. I played my putt from where the wrong nickel was laying. That is why I now use a ball marker that I can easily distinguish from everyone else's.

This decision has nothing to do with one ball hitting another on the green.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Firstly, props to EG for getting it right too. My bad.

Secondly, Started2k3 this decision refers to having already marked and lifted your ball on the green prior to putting. The player in question inadvertently replaced his ball at the wrong place (probably someone else's marker looked the same as his) and played from there. That's a 2 stroke penalty. This exact thing happened to me a few years ago in a tournament. I used a nickel to mark my ball on the green. Meanwhile someone in the groups ahead of me must have dropped a nickel on the green and left it behind. I played my putt from where the wrong nickel was laying. That is why I now use a ball marker that I can easily distinguish from everyone else's.

This decision has nothing to do with one ball hitting another on the green.
    Ahhh I found it now. You will get a two stroke penalty for playing from the wrong place but in Rule 20/7 there is a note:

Note 1: A competitor is deemed to have committed a serious breach of the applicable Rule if the Committee considers he has gained a significant advantage as a result of playing from a wrong place.

This would result in disqualification.
    Back at it.

Ahhh I found it now. You will get a two stroke penalty for playing from the wrong place but in Rule 20/7 there is a note:

Note 1: A competitor is deemed to have committed a serious breach of the applicable Rule if the Committee considers he has gained a significant advantage as a result of playing from a wrong place.

This would result in disqualification.
    Yes, that is correct as it applies to the Decision that you posted earlier. But regarding the original question posted by jeff, if Player A hits his tee shot on to the green, and then Player B hits his tee shot, and his ball hits Player A's ball and knocks it into the hole, it is not a hole-in-one. Player A must take his ball out of the hole and replace it on the green as close to where it was before Player B's ball hit it, no penalty. Player B plays his ball as it lies. Now, if Player B's ball goes in the hole after deflecting off Player A's ball, Player A still has to replace his ball as close to the spot before it got knocked away, but Player B records a hole-in-one.

Yes, that is correct as it applies to the Decision that you posted earlier. But regarding the original question posted by jeff, if Player A hits his tee shot on to the green, and then Player B hits his tee shot, and his ball hits Player A's ball and knocks it into the hole, it is not a hole-in-one. Player A must take his ball out of the hole and replace it on the green as close to where it was before Player B's ball hit it, no penalty. Player B plays his ball as it lies. Now, if Player B's ball goes in the hole after deflecting off Player A's ball, Player A still has to replace his ball as close to the spot before it got knocked away, but Player B records a hole-in-one.
    Many thanks to LobWedge! This is exactly what I asked for and the answer seems clear and solid. Thanks to Started2k3 and others too! Learned a lot from this discussion.

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    and don't forget even if the ball is moved by another ball but doesn't go in the hole you must also replace it.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Thread Information