+ Reply to Thread
    Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar

Cutting down my Irons..

Hi,

I am shorter than average (5'6'') and was looking to get my irons cut down. Probably atleast an inch. I have a couple of questions.

How will this affect my shaft stiffness after they are cut?

Will I lose a considerable amount of distance by doing this?

Hope you lads can help me out!

Paul
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    You won't lose much distance if any. The shafts will feel stiffer. Swingweight will be decreased. Lies should be checked. Why do you want them shorter?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Chief,

I just feel that they are a bit too long. I am standing too far from the ball as a result. I feel comfortable with the short irons, just not the long. I am hitting them alright, but could be a bit better.Would you reccomend getting them reshafted with shorter shafts, or leave them in?

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulio View Post
    Chief,

I just feel that they are a bit too long. I am standing too far from the ball as a result. I feel comfortable with the short irons, just not the long. I am hitting them alright, but could be a bit better.Would you reccomend getting them reshafted with shorter shafts, or leave them in?
    If I'm not mistaken, and the Chief will comment also, but I'm pretty sure that all shafts come at a standard length for each iron. Then you'd add extensions or have them cut down based on how you're fitted.

Chief,

Grip down on the long irons for a while and see what kind of results you are getting. If you like them and hit them better then just have them shortened. I built a set this year for a taller golfer where each club was a 1/4 inch longer than standard which yielded a pw 37 and something long. You could do just the opposite or leave your shorter irons alone and shorten your longer irons.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, and the Chief will comment also, but I'm pretty sure that all shafts come at a standard length for each iron. Then you'd add extensions or have them cut down based on how you're fitted.
    Taper(called discrete lengths) they do but you still have the options of cutting them to final length(from the butt) Parallel irons(.370) all come in raw at the same length(usually 41 inches)
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Also, some parallel irons are butt trim only since they have specific tip characteristics.

Flighted Rifle and Project X are examples of this.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Birdie Weirfan is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Also, some parallel irons are butt trim only since they have specific tip characteristics.

Flighted Rifle and Project X are examples of this.

they are not special or different other than the fact that they ar pre tip trimmed from the factory to avoid any errors.

you can buy rifle blanks and tip them as well, all a flighted shaft is is tipped differently than a std progression from the pw - 3.

Black Golds can be bought in pre tipped .370 sets 3-pw or in 41 inch blanks that you can do your own thing.

I agree with what Chief has said....try choking down and see what you get.
    use some masking/painters tape or a dry erase marker on the face and see what your center contact pattern is like.

the correct length for you is the one that achieves the best center contact pattern on the face.....you may find that you need to cut a bit off the longer irons...no big deal really

I am 5 foot 5

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Strongly consider getting fitted properly before hacking a hole 1" !!
    By doing so, you will alter the playing characteristics of your present shafts considerably.

I know the clubs you are talking about. I refused an offer to assemble 100 sets of them because I don't jam clubs together like they wanted me to do.

Basically, you are dealling with a set consisting of low quality componnents that were not intented to be custom fitted, but rather for the 4 times a year, 30 hdcp. golfer looking for graphite shafts at a good price.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    By doing so, you will alter the playing characteristics of your present shafts considerably.

I know the clubs you are talking about. I refused an offer to assemble 100 sets of them because I don't jam clubs together like they wanted me to do.

Basically, you are dealling with a set consisting of low quality componnents that were not intented to be custom fitted, but rather for the 4 times a year, 30 hdcp. golfer looking for graphite shafts at a good price.
    Hmmmmmmmm .. am I missing something here? Not trying to rock the boat but I'm confused (It's an age thing)...Did Paulio mention the clubs he wanted shortened? I see in his profile he has Cleveland Hi-bore 3-pw. Are they low quality components, or is there another set he's inquiring about?
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Yeah... I think I missed something too. I am actually speaking of Taylor Made RAC irons.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post

Is there a problem replying to 2 threads at a time ???

Thanks Chris ! Got a little ahead of myself.

Although, my first comment still stands.

Albatross TourIQ is on a distinguished road TourIQ's Avatar
    Hi,

I am shorter than average (5'6'') and was looking to get my irons cut down. Probably atleast an inch. I have a couple of questions.

Paul
    Since you hit the shorter irons real good consider making your wedges the identical length of your cut down 9-iron, so in the end your wedges do not get too darn short.
    Kind regards, Harry

6 Iron Old Man is on a distinguished road
    Chief,

Paulio id you ever shorten your irons and did it help.I have short legs (long waist and arms ) and have to grip down on my clubs,so was wondering if I should shorten my irons.
    Steve

I did have the RAC irons cut down by Don, at Artisan golf. I just got rid of those at the start of the year, and am back playing standard length. I did feel that they helped when cut, I had better control. My driver is now cut down, as well as my fairway wood. I could never play those at standard length now..

Thread Information